Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We bought a 2012 EX to replace our 2004 EX last week. We're now looking to sell the '04 are trying to pin down an asking price.

For background, it's silver w/gray interior and has 141k miles. We had the transmission rebuilt (by Honda) ca. 15k miles ago. The tires are quite new, and pretty much everything else is in working order -- including a relatively recent brake job and new blower motor.

(Both the tires and brakes have been done since the transmission rebuild, and just had the blower motor replaced.)

I've poked around for pricing on private party sales, but the transmission issue seems like a huge wild card, and it's not clear from the listings that I've seen whether or not the transmissions are original or rebuilt/new so it's hard to know what they're really selling.

According to Edmunds, the private party price for an '04 with 141k miles in "clean" condition is $5906. For "outstanding" condition, it would be $6877.

So... In your opinion (and given the above), how much should we be asking? I have a number in the back of my head, but I don't want to influence your answers so I'm not going to post it just yet.

Thanks, sdg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Advertise it at the high price , but settle for the low price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you should also check out local autotrader and craigslist postings since market value is often the main driver behind sales price. kbb and edmunds can suggest a sales price but if your area is flooded with good quality used odysseys, then the price would be lower. also the contrary if you are the only one selling an odyssey in your area. you can justify a higher price due to high demand. Also, i noticed that regardless of maintenance, how a car looks is what sells a car. How is the body? has it been waxed lately? how is the interior? has it been detailed lately? Basically, the closer you can get to showroom quality, the closer you will get to your asking price. good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The body is in good shape, and we're having it detailed (right now, in fact) before selling. I've spent a good bit of time on craigslist and the prices are all over the place. Here again, it's hard to tell on things like the transmission. Some ads say it's been recently replaced or rebuilt, others don't. Some simply say that the transmission is in good working order which means very little -- that could just mean that it hasn't broken down yet.

Right now, I'm leaning toward listing it at $7500 and trumpeting the positives -- single owner, non-smoker, garage kept, new transmission, brakes, and tires, etc. -- and then dealing down from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont know if this will help you out, but i just purchased a 2003 EX, with DVD and original transmission (still shifting really good) with 79k miles for $7500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts