Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not sure if you understood my previous post.
If the rear of the vehicle is lower than it should be, then the tailgate also will be lower.
Measure from ground to an easy reference point on the bumper or some other feature on the back of the van.
It might be helpful to make this measurement with the tailgate open and closed because the open tailgate might cause the rear suspension to slightly sag.
Hopefully someone else can verify the same measurements.

I used to own a Toyota Sienna. Every single trim level, plus AWD vs FWD had a unique strut assembly to compensate for the slight differences in weight and ride (SE had a stiffer European feel).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ah good idea measure from bumper that is. Will do when I can, I would love to be armed with fellow EXers that have tail gates that open more

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have my van handy, otherwise I'd take some pictures or something.

I'd suggest measuring from the ground to a crease or other feature in the rear bumper with the tailgate open/closed. Also, measure diagonally from the crease to the bottom lip of the tailgate when it is open.

Then, you will know if it is a hinge/tailgate issue, or a suspension issue.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hi Dmako,

2018 EX
70 inches, 51 inches, and 22 inches.

It's a little above freezing here and when I open the hatch, it starts at 69 inches. I can push it open 1 more inch to 70 inches. My second-row seats are out, so I don't really know if that makes a huge difference. The car sits on a slight slope of perhaps 5 degrees, with the back being at the low end of the slope. The car faces uphill. Again, don't know if that makes a huge difference. I also don't know how much variation Honda expects from one van to the next. There is probably some difference depending on how much wear there is on the rear springs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Dmako,

2018 EX
70 inches, 51 inches, and 22 inches.

It's a little above freezing here and when I open the hatch, it starts at 69 inches. I can push it open 1 more inch to 70 inches. My second-row seats are out, so I don't really know if that makes a huge difference. The car sits on a slight slope of perhaps 5 degrees, with the back being at the low end of the slope. The car faces uphill. Again, don't know if that makes a huge difference. I also don't know how much variation Honda expects from one van to the next. There is probably some difference depending on how much wear there is on the rear springs.
And how full the gas tank is. The diagonal measurement should be the most accurate when comparing against other vans. All three are really helpful to have. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
And how full the gas tank is. The diagonal measurement should be the most accurate when comparing against other vans. All three are really helpful to have. Good idea.
Of course! Never thought of that, Pjones. My tank at the time of measuring was Full. Thanks :)!

·
Registered
419 Posts
2018 EXL, nav res with full tank of gas:
22"
75"
57"
These are the measurements if I manually push the tailgate up all the way. It might go up further, but it was hitting my garage door.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
2018 EXL, nav res with full tank of gas:
22"
75"
57"
These are the measurements if I manually push the tailgate up all the way. It might go up further, but it was hitting my garage door.
Once again, Honda has a boatload of issues with their quality control. No amount of fuel will make this much difference!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing - and I'm not what you'd call a tall guy (5'9") so I was shocked when I started to hit my head with the fully opened cargo door. When I brought this up to the dealer before driving the minivan home, they told me it needed to be brought back to get repaired (it was Saturday evening and the service dept had already closed). Painful as it was, I diligently took it back the next week, explained the problem, and waited patiently for about an hour. At that point the mechanic came back and showed me my minivan, and two others, saying "it seems like there isn't a problem with your minivan: this is just the height of the door". I couldn't believe such a gaffe by Honda, and the most shocking part was that the salesperson, the manager and the service guy all thought there was something wrong with my vehicle (as did I). None of them seemed to know that an average sized dude like me would have to duck in order to get his groceries from the back of a minivan. The twist? Three months later our nanny crashed the minivan (no one got hurt) and GEICO decided to total it, so now I'm shopping for a new one. Does anyone know if the Pacifica has the same problem?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome aboard, Carlobatussi. Glad everyone was okay.

In retrospect, when the mechanics said your open hatch height was "normal," it would have been interesting to have them open and measure the hatches of every minivan in stock. I can guarantee that they would vary somewhat or at the very least, some would be at the 5'10" or 5' 11" mark. Prior to the 2018 Odyssey, I would like to think the quality control was far better.

Which Odyssey model did you own? If it had the 9-speed ZF transmission, you'll be getting the same one in the Pacifica. People have reported good and terrible experiences with the 9-speed. Perhaps consider Toyota?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with tailgate not raising high enough and I am only 5' 3". At first dealership said that it was just how the EX was designed and they couldn't do anything but I got manager and district involved and they eventually replaced the struts. It is about 5' 11" now. I did not pay for the fix.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Same problem with tailgate not raising high enough and I am only 5' 3". At first dealership said that it was just how the EX was designed and they couldn't do anything but I got manager and district involved and they eventually replaced the struts. It is about 5' 11" now. I did not pay for the fix.
Very interesting, Joyceru. It makes sense that the struts are the random element in the equation. If we assume that the stamping department creates all bodies equally (otherwise the rear hatch wouldn't even fit) and the hinge hardware is all the same, aside from slight variances in suspension "push or drop," it makes sense that the struts will determine how far open the rear hatch goes. What if the struts are filled with unequal amounts of gas or fluid (not sure which they use - I think it's gas)? That could make a huge difference. Perhaps the QC on the struts is below par. After all, we have seen poorly tightened battery terminals, body parts way out of alignment, and incorrect coolant levels in the AC units. Whose to say the struts aren't all created equal? Just a theory at this point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any chance of getting paperwork on what exactly was done?

I know I'll get the same answer but armed with what another dealership did, have a greater chance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please tell us what the dealership did so I can go to my dealer for a fix. Can you photocopy the service ticket?
Thanks so much
Rick Grisoli
New Orleans, LA

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My hatch lifts to about 5" 10" and is just barely high enough in some cases but not others. As mentioned earlier, I can squeeze another inch if I push the hatch up. Joyceru's repair is not all that wonderful but certainly better than what it was before. Joyceru's tailgate is only back to the original design height, which I believe is lower than previous generations.

If we removed the struts, wouldn't the hatch open at least another 4" to 6"? If so, are there any aftermarket struts with a longer reach that would solve our problem? Problem is, they ain't cheap!!

81 - 100 of 114 Posts