Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not sure if you understood my previous post.
If the rear of the vehicle is lower than it should be, then the tailgate also will be lower.
Measure from ground to an easy reference point on the bumper or some other feature on the back of the van.
It might be helpful to make this measurement with the tailgate open and closed because the open tailgate might cause the rear suspension to slightly sag.
Hopefully someone else can verify the same measurements.

I used to own a Toyota Sienna. Every single trim level, plus AWD vs FWD had a unique strut assembly to compensate for the slight differences in weight and ride (SE had a stiffer European feel).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah good idea measure from bumper that is. Will do when I can, I would love to be armed with fellow EXers that have tail gates that open more

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't have my van handy, otherwise I'd take some pictures or something.

I'd suggest measuring from the ground to a crease or other feature in the rear bumper with the tailgate open/closed. Also, measure diagonally from the crease to the bottom lip of the tailgate when it is open.

Then, you will know if it is a hinge/tailgate issue, or a suspension issue.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi Dmako,

2018 EX
70 inches, 51 inches, and 22 inches.

It's a little above freezing here and when I open the hatch, it starts at 69 inches. I can push it open 1 more inch to 70 inches. My second-row seats are out, so I don't really know if that makes a huge difference. The car sits on a slight slope of perhaps 5 degrees, with the back being at the low end of the slope. The car faces uphill. Again, don't know if that makes a huge difference. I also don't know how much variation Honda expects from one van to the next. There is probably some difference depending on how much wear there is on the rear springs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Dmako,

2018 EX
70 inches, 51 inches, and 22 inches.

It's a little above freezing here and when I open the hatch, it starts at 69 inches. I can push it open 1 more inch to 70 inches. My second-row seats are out, so I don't really know if that makes a huge difference. The car sits on a slight slope of perhaps 5 degrees, with the back being at the low end of the slope. The car faces uphill. Again, don't know if that makes a huge difference. I also don't know how much variation Honda expects from one van to the next. There is probably some difference depending on how much wear there is on the rear springs.
And how full the gas tank is. The diagonal measurement should be the most accurate when comparing against other vans. All three are really helpful to have. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
And how full the gas tank is. The diagonal measurement should be the most accurate when comparing against other vans. All three are really helpful to have. Good idea.
Of course! Never thought of that, Pjones. My tank at the time of measuring was Full. Thanks :)!

·
Registered
371 Posts
2018 EXL, nav res with full tank of gas:
22"
75"
57"
These are the measurements if I manually push the tailgate up all the way. It might go up further, but it was hitting my garage door.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
2018 EXL, nav res with full tank of gas:
22"
75"
57"
These are the measurements if I manually push the tailgate up all the way. It might go up further, but it was hitting my garage door.
Once again, Honda has a boatload of issues with their quality control. No amount of fuel will make this much difference!!!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts