Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
My hatch lifts to about 5" 10" and is just barely high enough in some cases but not others. As mentioned earlier, I can squeeze another inch if I push the hatch up. Joyceru's repair is not all that wonderful but certainly better than what it was before. Joyceru's tailgate is only back to the original design height, which I believe is lower than previous generations.

If we removed the struts, wouldn't the hatch open at least another 4" to 6"? If so, are there any aftermarket struts with a longer reach that would solve our problem? Problem is, they ain't cheap!!
If you luck out with the right size you may be able to find new gas struts at harbour freight/princess auto for around $10 each (last time I checked which was about 10yrs ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm wondering what type of struts are used? All I see is two large hinges no visible shock type struts.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm wondering what type of struts are used? All I see is two large hinges no visible shock type struts.
Oops, you're right, Dmako! I was thinking of my 2002, where the struts were external :(. I've had way too many birthdays.

·
Registered
374 Posts
... sorry, I thought it might have been a design change between with the Powered lift models. Maybe it’s not as easy of a solution as I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The non-power tailgate on my 2019 Honda Odyssey EX only opens to, a head bashing, about 5 ft., 10 in. above ground level. The tailgates on my 3 previous EX's all opened to much more than 6 Ft. The dealer tries to tell me this is normal. I can't believe Honda would made such a horrendous engineering error. Anyone else had this problem?
I have the same issue with my Odyssey 2019 EX. I am 6' and I have to bend down each time unless I want a black & blue mark on my forehead. I took my car to a dealership and they said there's nothing they can do. When I checked my friend's Odyssey EX-L with a power tailgate, it opens a couple of inches higher to an average height. So frustrating!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with the 2020 LX, We just bought it and didn't realize that it was different from the used 2016 EX-L we were also looking at and the 2020 EX-L that was in the show room. Both of those opened to an ample height.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you look at the parts diagram for the Elite with power liftgate, it has a motor and different spring assembly. There maybe a way to retrofit two of the longer spring/strut assemblies but they are around $160 each unless you can find an aftermarket version with similar specs or used. Sounds like a great project for someone to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The non-power tailgate on my 2019 Honda Odyssey EX only opens to, a head bashing, about 5 ft., 10 in. above ground level. The tailgates on my 3 previous EX's all opened to much more than 6 Ft. The dealer tries to tell me this is normal. I can't believe Honda would made such a horrendous engineering error. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. ANyone ever get any satisfaction on this issue? We have a one year old 2019 Odyssey, manual liftgate, that opens to 66-1/2" clearance. We have had several forehead cuts and bruises on people loading or unloading things. We have had the struts replaced (twice) under warranty, but neither replacement made any difference in the height. We have measured the opening on at least 2 other vans, same models with manual liftgates, on dealer lots. THe other vans all had at least 4" and one 6" more clearance. Still getting a shrug of the shoulders from the dealer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 EX. We thought the tailgate was lower than normal but salesman just told us all the new Honda are like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want to have a walk through the lot with the salesman and a tape measure. Check the opening height on other similar manual liftgate. We found several that were 4 to 6 inches higher than ours, which is only 66 inches (5'6")

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might want to have a walk through the lot with the salesman and a tape measure. Check the opening height on other similar manual liftgate. We found several that were 4 to 6 inches higher than ours, which is only 66 inches (5'6")
I'll measure mine when I get home today and let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is 66 inches as well

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
2018 EX
Mine is about 70 inches (5'10"). I'm also 70 inches tall and if I'm standing on a slight incline beneath the open tailgate, I crack my coconut. My 2002 opened so that I had about 4 inches of clearance. If I cracked my coconut under that tailgate, that was my fault, unlike today where it was some dummy in the marketing department who signed off on a stupid design. He or she must only be about 4 foot nothing tall!!

I don't know why there are so many variations in height.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts