Honda Odyssey Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m 6’5” there is not a tailgate in the world I don’t hit my head on.

You just get used to ducking.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
I’m 6’5” there is not a tailgate in the world I don’t hit my head on.

You just get used to ducking.
My son is 6' 4" and he's used to ducking under a lot of things, especially a Honda tailgate! I'm sure he feels your pain :D!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just checked a 2021 brand new EX at the dealer, the issue is still unresolved. The liftgate still does not go higher than 5'9" or so. I checked an EX-L with power liftgate. That one still opens to about 6'4" or so, definitely higher than my height. I'm 6.1. Anybody initiating a class action lawsuits against Honda on this issue? I'd join happily now...

·
Registered
195 Posts
What got us was we examined an EXL with power lift gate but decided on an EX since we didn't want leather. Never would have thought that the lift gate height would have changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What got us was we examined an EXL with power lift gate but decided on an EX since we didn't want leather. Never would have thought that the lift gate height would have changed.
I had a similar thought today, as I examined a 2021 EX-L on the showroom of the local Honda, power liftgate fully open at a nice 6'3'' or so. I then asked the dealer for the key to a 2021 EX, which opened at about 5'10''. It seems to me that the dealers know about the issue by now, but they can't do anything because Honda won't acknowledge the issue. It almost feels like the customer is misled: "check out the nice EX-L, fully opening at a decent height!". And then for those settling on the EX, surprise by the time you get home...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. ANyone ever get any satisfaction on this issue? We have a one year old 2019 Odyssey, manual liftgate, that opens to 66-1/2" clearance. We have had several forehead cuts and bruises on people loading or unloading things. We have had the struts replaced (twice) under warranty, but neither replacement made any difference in the height. We have measured the opening on at least 2 other vans, same models with manual liftgates, on dealer lots. THe other vans all had at least 4" and one 6" more clearance. Still getting a shrug of the shoulders from the dealer. Any suggestions?
Walk in like you own the place and tell them to replace the struts. Tell them that you already contacted Honda corporate. And also contact time to corporate.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it's all shaby engineering.
With the power lift gate one pushes a button to close.

With non-powered one must 'reach' up to close. My guess is they figured that short people couldn't reach.

My 2002 Sienna solved this by having a strap one could pull or a molded hold.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
My 2002 Sienna solved this by having a strap one could pull or a molded hold.
Good point. My 2002 Ody had an interior handle. There's nothing on the 2018. In our nice Canadian winters, you have to grab the filthy tailgate on the outside and get a handful of salt, sand, and other sludge, all because some "go getter" at Honda wanted to increase profits by a few cents. Your "short people" statement makes sense. They had to lower the opening height of the manual models so everyone could reach. They should have made the height the same as the powered version and given us an interior handle or strap!!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
Honda could offer a service bulletin to replace hinges from powered lift gate.
Good luck with that, Damko :D. Fixing anything that takes away from profit is not within Honda's mission statement. The only thing they'll do for free is something the Feds say needs to be done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good luck with that, Damko :D. Fixing anything that takes away from profit is not within Honda's mission statement. The only thing they'll do for free is something the Feds say needs to be done.
Yes wrong term, a purchasable add on.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts