Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained about 4.5 quarts from the drain plug. Instead of filling through the normal fill hole like I have usually done (which is a bit of a pain to get to), I have a thin funnel that I can stick down the dipstick hole.

After refilling with 4.5 quarts (measured exactly as to what I drained) the transmission would just slip constantly. After awhile it was okay in all gears but it still has an occasional slip.

Was this is a bad idea to fill through the dipstick? Anyway to resolve this - maybe drain again and fill through the normal fill hole?

I thought it would be okay because other cars like Kias that is the normal way to fill through the dipstick hole.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's OK to fill thru the dip stick hole. There is nothing about your refill procedure that would cause the problem you describe.

What kind of ATF did you use?

Please give more description of the "slipping." What gear(s)? What Speed?
What year model? What mileage? What color was and is your ATF -- dark?burnt?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Honda ATF Z1 (OEM stuff)

Initially it was just putting the car in reverse - would not move. After awhile though I could go in reverse and forward. Then it was slipping in a low gear (1st or 2nd) and now it occasionally slips in higher gears. Unfortunately I don't really drive it other than that night, my wife does so I don't really have a good indication of how it was performing previously but she claims it never had this problem.

The drained fluid was okay - not terribly dark at all. I was doing it more of a precaution more than anything else.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What year is the van? Mileage?

I thought a regular drain plug would only yield about 3.5 quarts. Thus the 3X3.

Is is overfilled? That would make if shift crappy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts