Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :)

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey. I've had a few problems with it over the past five years, but nothing too serious.

My check engine light has been on for several months now. My bf (a mechanic) checked the code and it says that it's my catalytic converter. I managed to pass inspection, so I will fix it when I can.

Over the past two months or so, my TCS light has popped on. It seems to happen when I'm driving on the highway, usually as I'm accelerating.

Today, as I was leaving my home, it seemed to be hesitating a bit or like it didn't have the power it usually does. I then noticed the D4 light flashing. I pulled over, put it in park, and the D4 light continued to flash. Worried, I drove back home.

I turned my van off, and decided to turn it back on to see if it went away. Sure enough, it did. I put it in reverse to get out of my parking space, and D4 again, and the light didn't flash. It also seemed to not hesitate anymore and drove just fine, so I took the kids for about a 2 mile drive or so to McDonalds. No problems.

I've searched this topic. I hate hearing the words "transmission problems." Is it possible that it's anything else? I purposely bought this particular year of Odyssey because after researching through Consumer Reports, this year didn't appear to have the transmission problems that other years have had. Was I wrong?

I'm a single mother of 4 kids (one a newborn baby). I'm on maternity leave with no income, and I'm recovering (or trying to) from back problems. If this is my transmission, any idea how long I have before I actually need to replace it or buy a new vehicle? Will the problem progress until I can no longer drive it, or will it just die on me one day soon?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Get the code that has been stored with the flashing D4 light. The code will be transmission-related but not all codes mean the transmission is toast. Perhaps your b.f. has a code reader? Get the code and search it here.

The EGR valve and the ports clogging is a well-known issue with our model years and causes hesitation while trying to keep a constant speed or slightly accelerating. There is a Tech Service Bulletin on this.

See the link below in my signature line for info on our 2001s...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ditto on getting the code read and then check back here for advice. If it is the tranny - best bet would be to get a Jasper or Gator rebuilt and have your bf swap it for you. Tranny would run you about $1500. That is cheaper than a new car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts