Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2010 Odyssey 2 weeks ago and experienced the following problems within 1 week:

After taking the car home, we noticed that the passenger side door requires a hard close or it would bounce. We took it back immediately to Honda and the inside latch was adjusted. Now the door is not fully flushed with the sliding door. It's not real obvious unless you come close. But a brand new car with the door not closing properly????

We also noticed that same day that the top part of the gasket between the driver side door and the sliding door was jutting out. The service manager tried to fix it but had to order a new gasket and it has since been replaced.

Over the weekend, my wife noticed that the rear speaker on the passenger side was not fully seated. When it was inspected by Honda, they noticed a hair line crack on the speaker and it has to be replaced. The service manager thinks the installer forced it during the install. A new speaker has been ordered and we need to bring it in for installation.

This is the 2nd honda we have purchased in 4 months. This is just so not typical of the Honda quality we have come to expect. My wife makes a point that these issues are all external things that we can see. What about all the internal stuff that we cannot see. This is just plain SLOPPY and CARELESS workmanship from HONDA plain and simple.

Have anyone else experienced these issues with Honda lately?

And what should we expect from Honda for these quality issues and inconvenience?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, I recently purchased a 2010 ex-l and I've been disappointed with the interior trim quality and sloppy assembly. My glove box is out of alignment, same with the bottom trim on in the back of the passenger seat. These have been replaced but are still out of alignment. Also noticed a few places where trim edges are not as flush as they should be. Even after all that it's still the best minivan out there imo. My 2nd gen Odyssey had better dash materials and assembly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Seems like quality is regressing back to 1970's levels. I remember my dad buying new cars and having to take it back to the dealer multiple times to get things fixed. I thought we were past that. I have a Tundra that hasn't had a single problem, other than a broken rear window latch, in 7 years.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just so the "seems like quality is regressing" crowd won't equate a few posts with everyone's experience, I have had a 2010 for three months and it is flawless.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Look at my signature. My airbag was sticking out heh.

What's amazing is how the power steering is getting stiff at slow speeds, JUST like my 2006 did!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
This sort of crap happens, its thought to catch every possible thing on final inspection. We had a pen size hole in the middle row leather seat and bumper end that kept popping out. As long as it gets fixed without question and its not a major ordeal that inconveniences me, I wont complain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe they're spending time on the 2011

Picked up our new 2010 Touring last week. Sticker of $41,000+ (not what we paid) but the fit and finish flaws/problems not up to Honda quality. This is our 3rd Touring and it almost seems like they slapped this together by the second string assembly staff. Maybe the 1st string was practicing on the 2011's.

All 4 tires were out of balance, both glove boxes were misaligned, the passenger side air bag fit on the dash was off by about 1/4 in, the sunglass storage box wouldn't open, the rear wiper wouldn't work, the steering wheel was misaligned. and the panels in the rear hatch were jammed in to the point where one had a large crack. Also, there were several paint flaws that Honda is now looking into for a remedy. Dealer says that over the last 3 months fit and finish problems have been increasing and they are spending more time than ever on new Odyssey's fixing assembly/quality problems. They don't mind cause they get paid by Honda but it's only on the Odyssey's no other cars/trucks have these quality problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2-week old 2010 meets all my quality expectations. It's not a W124-chassis Mercedes E500, but it appears solidly screwed together and the fit and finish are pretty good. Paint, as on all modern cars, is weak.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well either the folks at HONDA Assembly hate the new Odyssey or they replaced all the humans with robots!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Steve P said:
Just so the "seems like quality is regressing" crowd won't equate a few posts with everyone's experience, I have had a 2010 for three months and it is flawless.
Defect ratess, depending on the manufacturing area, are often measured in terms of rejects per hundred, thousand, or even ten-thousand units. I'm not sure what the defect rates were in the '70's and reasonable poeople can argue what constitutes a "defect". I do think the anecdotal evidence seems to point to Honda's defect rate creeping up relative to years past. Does that mean the rate has moved from .0001 to .0002? Don't know.

The funny thing about defect rates is that from the manufacturer's perspective, it's measured in defects per some volume of objects manufactured; from the owner's perspective, it's typically either 0% or 100%!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
shall36 said:
The funny thing about defect rates is that from the manufacturer's perspective, it's measured in defects per some volume of objects manufactured; from the owner's perspective, it's typically either 0% or 100%!
Excellent point. From a customer service standpoint and given what they charge for an Odyssey, there really shouldn't be any defects.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm guessing the Odyssey Factory has been rather chaotic over the last few weeks/months and the assembly process has indeed suffered. I can also imagine that with production winding down, there are not as many, or any new, parts coming in, so there is a much greater push to use up and make due with parts already in inventory, rather than rejecting them and finding quality components that fit the way they should.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
whoa said:
My glove box is out of alignment
This has been around '05 and I can't beleive that they haven't fixed it yet. I adjusted it on my '06 and it's better but still not correctly aligned. On the '10 the top of the upper compartment, is there still a big gap between the dash and the top of compartment door? On the '06 in this spot you can actually see inside the compartment when it's closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bjorn240 said:
Paint, as on all modern cars, is weak.
I've had a 2010 EX-L for a couple of weeks. No complaints at all other than the bumper paint doesn't match the rest. Looks like the bumpers are off some other van. I noticed this on most of the light colored ones on the lot, seems to be a chronic issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We purchased a 2010 EX last weekend. No fit/finish issues noticed yet. No issues of any kind with just over 1000 miles on it now...knock on wood.

When people have issues they post...when they don't they tend to stay silent...which leads to a skewed perception about the quantity of problems, I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am also wondering what Honda's response has been to those of us who have reported these issues. I spoke with Honda National Customer Service and the only thing they would offer besides taking care of the problems is a free oil change. I said that's an insult for the problems and inconvenience that they have put us through.

I am not impressed at all with Honda taking responsibility for this issue and providing some compensation to the owners for their shoddy quality.

I do undestand that it may be a small percentage of us who have experienced Honda's less than impeccable quality.

Our Odyssey was back in the shop for half the day yesterday while 3 techs tried to figure out a vibration noise coming from our rear door. It mysteriously disappeared after several inspections and reinspections. Even the mechanic who helped us alluded that this may have been a friday car.

I believe Honda should offer at least the extended warranty to those of us who have to go through these inconveniences as a goodwill gesture to show that they are standing behind their product. Or if Honda is such a great company, take the car back and give us another odyssey.

I have lost respect for Honda for not only the experiences we had but for the way they have responded. We had a choice of buying the Sienna and Odyssey but chose the Odyssey for concerns of the sudden acceleration with Toyota. We also knew that Odyssey had more problems over the last 10 years when compared with the Sienna according to Consumer Reports Reliability History.

In the meantime, we have filed a complaint with bbb.org.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tfuad1 said:

I believe Honda should offer at least the extended warranty to those of us who have to go through these inconveniences as a goodwill gesture to show that they are standing behind their product. Or if Honda is such a great company, take the car back and give us another odyssey.
Do other manufacturers do this?

Until we purchased our Odyssey we have been out of the new car buying "game" for more than a decade (having driven our previous vehicle literally into the ground.)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
dsquid said:
Do other manufacturers do this?
Not unless it's a major problem. There is a lemon law which varies state-by-state that could be used if problems persist. It usually requires a problem persist through three repair attempts and/or a vehicle that's out of service for a certain number of days. I don't think any of the problems listed by the OP would get very far with a lemon law.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
tfuad1, with the exception of the passenger side door which they may have already fixed since your last post didn't mention it, it seems that the other issues are in the process of being taken care of (speaker ordered, gasket ordered, rear door vibration gone).

So given that, you expect Honda to take the car back and give you a new one, and/or give you a free extended warranty? On top of those expectations you filed a complaint with the BBB?

I think you're a bit over the top on your demands. And to file a complaint with the BBB before the replacement parts have even been installed is pretty low. You couldn't have first allowed Honda the opportunity to install these minor parts?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts