Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey EXL with over 200k miles. I have replaced the motor mount that was bad and the power steering pump in recent months with no issues. I just drove from Nebraska to Idaho recently, with no issues on the drive. After being here in Idaho for about 2 months now. My car has always chugged (?) while idling at a stop light and I've thought nothing of it. Recently though while driving on flat surfaces, I will step on the gas to accelerate past 25 mph, and randomly it will stop accelerating, the rpms will rev to 3k rpms, the car will jerk and then it will start to accelerate slowly, but start the whole process again, slow to accelerate, rev up rpms, jump and accelerate slowly. I know I probably need to change the spark plugs and wires but I'm hoping there isn't a bigger issue at hand. Has anyone else had this issue? My best friend uses my van to drive to work everyday and she hasn't had any problems. It only seems to act up for me. The last time this issue happened the TCS light and check engine light both came on. Once I got home I shut off the car and turned it back on and the TCS light was off but check engine light remained, have not checked to see what it is on for yet. Just wanted some ideas about the overall situation first.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Check here for some possible hints and do more searching in this forum.
Might just be a solenoid problem.
From a search in this forum: Search results for query: P0780
Buffalo4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Different question same car. I know i need to replace my spark plugs and am doing so shortly. Is it required to replace the ignition coil as well?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just the spark plugs if you have no misfires.

I would tackle the transmission issue first before the plugs if your engine is running/sounding smooth. You can pull out the solenoids and test it. Usually they don't fail though. You can replace it (pricey) but it usually just a band aid to the eventual tranny failure. Change your ATF. 3x drain and fill. That also helps a little. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Only if the coil(s) are failing.
When you checked the transmission fluid- what color was it? Red-good, brown-ok, black-bad, way overdue for change.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do the plugs along with the timing belt (which should be due around 200K) after making sure your transmission is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of the advice guys thanks so much. I found out that the revving problem only happens once the engine warms up. It finally happened to my friend today, thank God she didn't take the interstate like she usually does to run errands, im not sure if the fact it only happens once the engine is warm makes a difference in what is causing the issue?? Additional advice is welcome!!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Well, since the revving problem happens only when hot rules out any electrical wiring or connector cause.

Heat expansion is probably causing a valve to bind. The code is too high-level to identify even a list of possible suspects.

I don't normally support the use of additives, but the only action I can suggest is a shot of Lucas Red.

If you do nothing and continue driving it, the transmission will almost surely soon implode. Revving between shifts is extremely tough on the clutches if they are even partially engaged.

Also, keep checking the codes in case any new ones have popped up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really frustrated with this van, and with Honda. New code popped up today. In addition to P0780 (shift malfunction), now i have P0730 (gear ratio incorrect).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts