Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me info on dealer processing fees. I thought I was getting an Ody at MSRP (even asked for the "on the road" price -- inclusive of all taxes and fees), only to discover a $349 processing fee (after I drove 2 hours). I was tempted to walk but did not because of travel time already invested. What would you do now?

------------------
00' Accord
02' Odyssey

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, if it includes registration/licence fee, then it is still a bit high, but not much. I talked with several dealers and always asked any hidden fee other than MSRP. The registration/licence/dealer fee I got ranges from $125 to $275. I got $50 from one out-of-state dealer, but of course it does not include licence/registration. It costs around $80 for state registration even if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, this amount was IN ADDITION TO the taxes ($750.00) and license fees ($58.00).

·
Registered
192 Posts
We got a wide range, normally from $99 all the way up to $399. We were lucky in that the dealer we finally used only charged $59. It was the lowest we found, and yes that was in addition to taxes and registration. It was termed a "documentation" fee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Virginia Automobile Dealers Associations tries to explain the fees in a brochure available at the following link:

http://www.vada.com/downloadable-forms/Consumer%20Processing%20Fee%20Brochure%20Black%20Final.pdf

To me, it sounds like a way of justifying the practice of tacking on an additional profit for the dealer after you've already negotiated the price of the vehicle. Somehow, dealers in other states provide these "services" for free and still manage to make a profit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might try telling the dealer you are registering the vehicle out of state and request temp tags only. You need the Mfg. Cert. of Origin, bill of sale and mileage statement to register yourself. I've always done my own title work with no problems, but I put that in my offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What has other peoples experience been with dealer processing fees (how much)? When you post that you got your Ody for MSRP, does that mean you paid no processing fee?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vahondas:
What has other peoples experience been with dealer processing fees (how much)? When you post that you got your Ody for MSRP, does that mean you paid no processing fee? </font>
IMHO, MSRP means vehicle MSRP plus any dealer-addons.

There may be other legit costs that should not be included in comparing MSRP, such as transportation, tax, licensing, or state-mandated doc prep. NO dealer-optional fees, those should be added to the cost of the vehicle if they are dealer profit only.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ _ ____________________ _ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L (It's RP, not "RRP") ;)
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is common in Chicago to have a $50 - $100 "documentation fee" added to the total bill. It is pure dealer profit.

One dealer was up front and told me this was the owners retirement plan.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One dealer in our area wanted $298- non-negotiable, so we went to another dealer and they only charged $33.00. This is in addition to the fee the state charges you for the tags ($62.00 for 2 years), but if you have recently been to our fine state's DMV, you will realize $33 for 3-4 hours of standing in a crowded line is well worth it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have purchased several new cars in the NoVa area and never paid any processing fees. I just go to the DMV during a slack period and have never waited more than 30 minutes (just before they close is good cause they lock the door behind you and work their butts off to get you out so they can go home). I still have to go to the County office to get a local tag so and it's closer to DMV to pick up the plates than going back to the dealer. If more people knew how easy it is to go to the DMV I'm sure they would resist paying any processing fee. Just tell the dealer you want a 30 day tag or get a transport tag from DMV yourself if you have your VIN.

·
Registered
123 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rgrossman:
I have purchased several new cars in the NoVa area and never paid any processing fees. I just go to the DMV during a slack period and have never waited more than 30 minutes (just before they close is good cause they lock the door behind you and work their butts off to get you out so they can go home). I still have to go to the County office to get a local tag so and it's closer to DMV to pick up the plates than going back to the dealer. If more people knew how easy it is to go to the DMV I'm sure they would resist paying any processing fee. Just tell the dealer you want a 30 day tag or get a transport tag from DMV yourself if you have your VIN. </font>
Nice that it works that way in your point of the country, but here in SC they decided our DMV computers and systems needed upgrading about 8 months ago, which was supposed to cause a 1-2 day ramp up period. Well, they are still working the bugs out. On my last visit, I went at the end of the day (approx. 5:00 p.m, and the line was out the door into the lobby. I waited almost an hour before they told us all we would have to go home and return the next day! I went to another office that I had been told was better on the next day, and sure enough they had a number system, so I took one (this was about 11:30 in the A.M.) My number was C97. I noticed a lot of people sitting around, but the number on the now serving said 91, so I felt ok about it. After about 20 minutes the number was only at 95 so I was getting nervous about my time running short before making my next appointment. When I asked the lady next to me why all these people were just sitting around, she said they were waiting all morning, just like her. I told her I had only been there 20-25 minutes and was #97, and she said "B97"? I told her it said C97 and she said I was over 100 people away from getting service. The end of this winded story was that I went back to work, and returned at 4:30 p.m.. I still had my number stub, and when I walked in I was about 10 people from being helped. I left at 5:30!!! So $33 is a good deal for the headache in my area, at least until the dust settles and we get back to the good ol' 1 hour waits! (never thought I would think of an hour wait as the good times!)

[This message has been edited by Shumdit (edited 03-10-2002).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shumdit:
Nice that it works that way in your point of the country, but here in SC they decided our DMV computers and systems needed upgrading about 8 months ago, which was supposed to cause a 1-2 day ramp up period. Well, they are still working the bugs out...

(snip)...

I left at 5:30!!! So $33 is a good deal for the headache in my area, at least until the dust settles and we get back to the good ol' 1 hour waits! (never thought I would think of an hour wait as the good times!)
</font>
What is it about DMVs that makes them universally slow and inept
?

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
331 Posts
The RMV here in MA has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years. Before you had to basically plan to spend the whole day there if you needed to do anything with a registration and a couple of hours for a license or ID.

Now it's a comparitive breeze. At the website, you can renew and order replacement registrations, order duplicate licenses and vanity plates, and pay tickets. You can do some of the same on a toll free number. You can check the wait times at registry offices before you go. They added greeters whose sole job is to ensure you get into the right line and have everything you need. They opened up license express offices and full service locations in malls and some are open on Saturday and evenings.

My last two experiences were great. I needed to turn in a plate and cancel a registration on an extra car. I went to a mall location on a Saturday and was in and out in 15 minutes. The second involved exhanging a 15 year old plate which had caused me to fail inspection for a new registration. I went to a regular branch on a weekday morning and was met with no line and was on my way in less than 5 minutes and no charge!!

Next month I need a new license. Based on my recent experiences, it'll be a breeze.

------------------
00 EX - Taffeta White
MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts