1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a proclip center vent mount in my 07 Audi A4 for my Garmin. The proclip was very good and never moved, partially blocked the center vents but never an issue as there was plenty of room behind it for the air to escape from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered the ProClip center mount for my 2011 Ody (back ordered) for my Nuvi. I was also considering the left side mount instead but it didn't seem obvious how to run the power cord and keep it mostly hidden. The dash seams are really tight. Has anyone installed a GPS using a ProClip on the left side of the dash?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do any of you have photos of the Proclip installed in your van? I am thinking about both mounts and would love to see how they look in the vehicle. Also concerned about how much the center one blocks the rear-view camera.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've used both versions of the ProClip for the Ody. My first one was the center-mounted one, which I didn't like. The second was the left-hand side version, and IMHO it's much better.

Let's start with the "pros":
They are both, I believe, best-of-the pack when it comes to holding your phone.
They are expensive, but then they're custom-made and look good.
The center version won't block the airflow from the center vent.

Now the "cons":
Both versions rely on a doubtful piece of thinking: the idea that small, strong adhesive pads will keep the device in place and stop it moving. They won't.
Left-side version does block the side-vent a little.

Center version:
The center version is the worse of the two in this respect. It mounts using a long, broad "strut" at the back that clips into the bottom of the plastic screen on your central display unit. The other end of the clip is secured using an adhesive pad into the top part of the left center vent. There are two problems with this arrangement. The first is that the adhesive pad is being used to some extent to prevent downward motion of the clip. In other words, that pad is the only thing that stops your clip, your holder, and the weight of your phone pushing the front of the clip downwards from its mounting at the top of the vent. Secondly, that adhesive is also used to stop your clip rocking in the horizontal plane. With regard to both these problems, the adhesive weakens. The clip can't drop out, but it will fail to hold the clip steady in the horizontal position and it will start to "lean" a little in one direction.

When I decided I'd had enough of it, I attempted to remove it. It proved impossible to release the back part of the clip from the bottom of the central display unit, and it broke off. Happily, it was the clip that broke, not the plastic screen.

I have no pix because I don't have it any more.

Left-side version:
Easily the better of the two. The clip mounts on the rear of the driver's-side quarterlight - a clever piece of work. However, the clip would be free to move up and down in its secured position, so there is - you guessed it - an adhesive pad inside the mount to stop that happening. After a while, the stickum weakens and the clip can slide up and down about an inch or so (mainly down, of course). However, the design grips the mount position so well that this only happens slowly, and all you have to do is to reach out occasionally and shove it back up.

If you have floormats or something similar, you don't have to worry about running the USB cable across your dashboard. Instead, get a long cable (about 6' or better), run it downwards from the 12-volt outlet, under the carpet, and then up inside the rubber seal around the front of the door opening. You need only lift this a little and the cable will run inside it. It emerges just about window-level, right next to your ProClip holder.

I've attached a couple of pix which I hope will illustrate what I've said.

By the way, I don't want you to think that the holder in the pic is the sort of thing you get from ProClip. It's a hacked version of one: my original phone was small, and the ProClip holder for it wouldn't accommodate my gigantic new phone, so what you see is a Frankenclip created by me.

Regards,
EJB

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I tried the Proclip, center-mount. I was not impressed. The "hook" part at the back that goes between the screen and the trim broke during install. The part that hooks over the top of the vent relies on a piece of very weak double-stick tape to hold it in place... that never worked AT ALL. We tried peeling off the tape and putting on some better tape there and in the back, but we couldn't get it to hold enough to hold the weight of the phone/holder (my holder setup is not Proclip).

I'm sending it back to Proclip, asking for a refund. Decent piece of good-looking hardware, but the attachment aspect is very poorly executed.

So, I saw that I can get a replacement trim for the dash for $55, and probably less than that at a junkyard. I paid $30 plus shipping for the Proclip... $55 isn't that far of a stretch, if I have to replace the trim down the road.

Instead of mounting my RAM Mount base to the Proclip, I just mounted it directly to the trim -- drilled 3 holes, used screws with bolts on the inside of the trim. I couldn't do the fourth because of where one of the trim clips is located. But it's securely attached and I'm very happy with it.

I considered the RAM adhesive base, but even RAM warns you that in hot cars it may peel off if weight is put on it. Plus to remove it, you just heat it with a hair dryer, so I knew I'd eventually come in to the car on hot day and find my phone holder and mount on the floor, with a sticky mess on the dash (been there, done that). Bolting it on permanently was a way better choice.

The parts I used:
- RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate w/B-Ball RAM-B-347U ($6.99)
- RAM Mount Plastic Short Arm B-Socket RAP-B-201U-A ($7.99)
- RAM Mount Diamond Plate w/B-Ball RAM-B-238U ($6.99)
- Bracketron Single T-Notch AMPS Adapter Plate & Hardware COM-102-PB ($2.99)
- Bracketron Grip-iT Vent Mount PHV-200-BL ($19.99)

The Bracketron Grip-iT is the best phone holder I've ever had... and the RAM Mount base/arm are the most versatile for positioning -- yet completely solid and stable. No vibration, movement, at all, no matter how many times you adjust it.

I had to buy the Single T-Notch AMPS Adapter to match up the Bracketron with the RAM Mount hardware, and just put the Bracketron vent hardware aside... but I didn't mind, because I can leave the vent mount in the van and grab it when I need to use the Grip-iT in another car (like a rental). Just pull the Grip-iT off the T-notch adapter plate and slap on the vent mount and off we go!

I tried to post links to all the parts, but it said my post count is too low. (Long-time lurker, first-time poster.)

Feel free to ask any questions! I'll post links when I can...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience here - tried various cheaper suction cup and vent holders, which didn't work well. Decided to give the ProClip (left-mount) a try. The mount itself seemed pretty solid; does not feel flimsy at all.

Rather than picking a specific ProClip phone holder or using the Scosche MagicMount XL that ProClip also sells, I went with the Scosche MagicMount Pro Dash instead (model # MPDB or MPD2PK-UB), for the following reasons:
  • My wife and I have different phones, and the Scosche allows us to mount various devices as long as the device (or its case) has the Scosche metal plate on it
  • Retains the flexibility of changing phones etc. in the future
  • Also gives me the ability to adjust the angle of the phone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts