Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to programming/re-programming (learn) the keyless remote?
Thx
Azon Chan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told by the dealer that they need to have all the remotes and the vehicle in order to program/re-program a remote.

I looked into this topic hoping to buy a remote from somewhere (maybe Ebay) and getting it reprogrammed for an extra set. I don't want to pay the dealer's overpriced fee for the service. Unfortunately, I came up empty on my search. If you find anything out let me know.

Chris

I was unable to find a way to do it.

·
1,484 Posts
This is what I found out in the 1999-2001 Service Manual.

The word “Transmitter” refers to the keyless remotes. And the “Control Unit” (or Driver’s Multiplex Control Unit) is the white plastic box next to the parking brake. Below are the are the exact instructions. Please tell us how it works out.

- nemogira

Transmitter Programming
-----------------------
Storing transmitter codes:
The codes of up to three transmitters can be read into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was input first will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the tailgate are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)
2. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button
3. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 sec., push transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver (control unit)
6. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver (control unit).
9. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver (control unit)
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.
13. Within 10 sec., aim the transmitters (up to three) whose codes you to store the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would I have to use a Honda remote? An Oddysey specific remote?

Thanks,
Eric

------------------
2001 TW EX - Trans Cooler, Bug Shield, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Wheel Well Liners

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by erickam:
Would I have to use a Honda remote? An Oddysey specific remote?
</font>
Good queston. You could probably use any old Honda remote for the LX. I don't know about the EX (with the power sliding doors and all). As for non-Honda remotes - I'm not sure. But you never know.

-nemogira

·
Registered
126 Posts
After I won the auction on ebay for an Odyssey remote, I got an email wanting to sell me the programing instructions for $10 bucks. I wrote back telling him I have the Helms manual and knowledgeable people on honda-odyssey.com

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
After I won the auction on ebay for an Odyssey remote, I got an email wanting to sell me the programing instructions for $10 bucks. I wrote back telling him I have the Helms manual and knowledgeable people on honda-odyssey.com

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 04-27-2001).]
</font>
10 Bucks!!! Yeah right. Anyway...please tell us how it goes once they come in.

-nemogira

·
Registered
96 Posts
In a different thread (http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000088.html), Moo reported that she got a remote from Ebay and used the programming technique and it all worked fine. She provided the programming instructions in a shorthand version.
Chris

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Originally posted by Moo

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place. Anyway, I bought another keyless entry remote from ebay for my Ody. My husband has a tendancy to lose his keys. The remote is so useful not just for unlocking doors, but for openning and closing them since we have the EX. I got the remote for about $30 on ebay. They are frequently available on ebay.

Anyway, I thought I would post the programming instructions here. It is really quite simple:

1. put your key in the ignition and turn it on without starting the engine (all the lights on the dash should be on). I will refer this as ON in future steps
2. press any key on the new remote. I will refer it as CLICK in future steps
3. turn the keys all the way off (without taking the key off. I will refer it as OFF in future steps
4. ON
5. CLICK
6. OFF
7. ON
8. CLICK
9. OFF
10. ON
11. CLICK (you should hear the locks cycle right now)
12. You now have a few seconds to CLICK again

You should be all set to go now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may also be interested that this procedure is needed not only for new remotes, but for existing remotes that got deprogrammed. My husband's remote quit working one day and I thought it was the battery. I took it to the dealer to check and it turned out that if someone the remote was dropped or jerked a certain way such that the contact to the battery was lost, the memory will also be lost, so that it would required to be reprogrammed. I assume this will also be the case when you have to change the battery. What you need to do to check if it is the battery is by pressing a button on the remote and see if the red light comes on. If it does, it is probably not the battery. You should then try to program it again per the instructions above.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keyless remote transmitter

I lost my key and the remote transmitter for my 02 Odyssey EX-L RES (the wife still has hers and she won't let me forget it). A new key (with the microchip) at the Honda Dealer cost me $25 (the local Ace Hardware store has a machine which they said will program a key for a few bucks less).

The price for a new remote at the dealer is $125 so I tried ordering one from an internet site listed on the Odyclub but the price of $75 turned out to be to good to be true, it was the wrong remote and I had to return it. If you have to order a remote I would sugggest talking to a real person to make sure you are getting the right Honda part number (which I will post when I finally get the right remote).

Also, ACE Hardware has a club which offers rebates for purchases but also provides a tag (2 ea) to put on your keys which is barcoded with your membership number and which says for a finder to drop in any mailbox and ACE will return the keys to an ACE Store near you who will telephone you. All at no charge to you. This might work and is better than $150 + tax for a new Odessy key and remote. See <www.acehardware.com>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remote Issue

I also purchased remotes on ebay. They appear to function (red light flashes when a button is pressed), but could not get them programmed using directions posted on this site.

Took them to my dealer, and he said that the remotes were changed in 2001, and these were for 99 - 2000. of course I could buy one from him at $129.

Does anyone know if there was a change for the 2001 EX?

thanks...:p

·
Registered
794 Posts
Moo said:
You may also be interested that this procedure is needed not only for new remotes, but for existing remotes that got deprogrammed. My husband's remote quit working one day and I thought it was the battery. I took it to the dealer to check and it turned out that if someone the remote was dropped or jerked a certain way such that the contact to the battery was lost, the memory will also be lost, so that it would required to be reprogrammed. I assume this will also be the case when you have to change the battery. What you need to do to check if it is the battery is by pressing a button on the remote and see if the red light comes on. If it does, it is probably not the battery. You should then try to program it again per the instructions above.
This is hard to believe. The remote is simply a transmitter, so why would it get "deprogrammed"? As I understand the programming procedure, it only affects the receiver.

·
0 Posts
Moo said:
..the remote was dropped or jerked a certain way such that the contact to the battery was lost, the memory will also be lost, so that it would required to be reprogrammed.
I don't believe this at all. I think you either got a poor explanation from the dealer or you got ripped-off:D . I have taken out the battery and the remotes still work when I put them back in.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
donlibes said:
This is hard to believe. The remote is simply a transmitter, so why would it get "deprogrammed"? As I understand the programming procedure, it only affects the receiver.
I think it depends on the system being used. If it is anything like the "rolling codes" system used for garage door openers and I imagine it is then it is possible for the receiver and transmitter to get so out of sync that the receiver (in the van) needs to be taught to recognise the transmitter again. The transmitter does not transmit the same code twice to the receiver and the receiver expects the transmitter to transmit a code that is within a certain range of codes, if it does not then the receiver ignores the request to unlock the doors or whatever. The same thing will be true if the electrical supply to the transmitter is interrupted for long enough, note that you can change battery and it will still retain it's memory, but if interrupted for long enough it will need to be "re-programmed".

For those with a lot of time on their hands try this. Take your remote garage door opener away from the garage door and press the button 256 or more times, then try and use it to open the garage door. You will likely find that the remote will no longer open the door. I've never tried this with my Odyssey remote opener but I imagine something similar is true and that the transmitter (in reality the receiver) would need to be re-programmed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jl830344

Remote Issue
I also purchased remotes on ebay. They appear to function (red light flashes when a button is pressed), but could not get them programmed using directions posted on this site.

Took them to my dealer, and he said that the remotes were changed in 2001, and these were for 99 - 2000. of course I could buy one from him at $129.

Does anyone know if there was a change for the 2001 EX?
END QUOTE

I too purchased (before I read your post) a remote transmitter for my 2002 EXL - RES on E-Bay. It was advertised as a 1999-2000 unit. I have not got it yet.

I went to a Honda dealer and asked the parts guy to see if the transmitter was the same part on a 1999 -2000 as on a 2001-2002. He looked them up and said the transmitter was the same part for both and was priced to me at $77 (repeat $77). I told him that I was given a price of $125 elsewhere and he went and showed me the part and it appeared to be the same as the one which came with my ODY.

The Helms manual (Pg 22-235) says the keyless entry and security system for an EX was the same on 1999-2000 and was changed for the 2001-2002 models. It did not say, however, if the transmitter was changed.

The instructions posted earlier on this thread by Neomigra for programming the transmitter appear to be the same in the 02 Helms manual - add -make sure the doors, tailgate and hood are closed when programming. Also aim the transmitter at the receiver unit which appears to be under the dash to the right of the glovebox on the 02.

Good luck - I hope mine works other wise I am out $44 unless I can resell it to a 1999-2000 owner.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: Remote Issue

jl830344 said:
I also purchased remotes on ebay. They appear to function (red light flashes when a button is pressed), but could not get them programmed....Does anyone know if there was a change for the 2001 EX? thanks...:p
I just got my remote from Ebay, same story, the light went on, but it wouldn't program. The programming directions I used were the same described as described on this thread and they worked for the two remotes that came with my Odyssey, just the one from Ebay didn't work and that was advertised for 1999's through 2002. Does anyone know if the remotes work on the 02's? It seems to me that they should work otherwise Honda would also change the looks of the remote or they create a lot of confusion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts