Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or can anyone recommend a programmable/universal key fob?
I have one for my Odyssey and one for my Forester, and would love to combine them into one fob.

------------------
-- Todd

'02 GG Odyssey EX-L

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Don't know of a universal tranmitter, but one idea is to install identical alarm systems (or at least same manufacturer) in the two vehicles, and programming the modules to recognize signals from a single set of remotes.

Not optimal esp. since your Ody has immobilizer and alarm already, but one approach. If you choose the right alarm though, you could also integrate alot of other cool features for both vehicles, such as garage door opener control, remote hatch release, automatic window roll up/roll down, remote start, just about anything you can think of....

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Clifford alarms come to mind...
-d

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Clifford alarms come to mind...
-d
</font>
That's just what I have.

Though Dandan doesn't seem to like Clifford much, I think the functionality it adds to my Accord is awesome, and it was the only alarm that had all the features I wanted (built in relays for controlling all the functions I wanted, and dual zone VERY COMPACT microwave radar sensor)

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't care much for Clifford since it's too expensive ShinJohn. I have had bad luck with there products in the past. They are now owned by DEI, the makers of Viper. They are considered High End but I just don't know since I quit using them. I mainly use the Prestige and Pursuit by Audiovox. They are made in the same factory in Taiwan, (NuTek). A little secret you all don't know is that most all alarms are made there, except a few. Code Alarm is made in the U.S. and they are one alarm you could not give me for free to sell and install. They must have a 100% failure rate! I love the Audiovox, they just don't fail. The only problem you see is the customers think the remotes are indestructable and unfortunately they are not! For the APS-785 I pay about $90.00 wholesale. That includes a full blown alarm with remote start, all relays built on board and over 1000 foot range. 4 button remote that will control over 14 different functions. And a true lifetime warranty, and Audiovox stands behind them 100%. I can't remember the last time that I had a bad module. I only return remotes once in a while. And they don't argue about that, even if a customer runs one through the washing machine! As far as your one remote controlling everything Omega research has one that might be able to accomplish what your looking to do. It learns the code and frequency and you can do your multiple car thing. Omega sells the Excalibur and K9 line. Oh, by the way Omega's alarms are also built in Tawain. I don't hate Clifford Shinjohn, sorry I came across that way, I don't like overpaying for product that's all.

DanDan

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Dan,
No offense taken!

I just remember you posting before about Clifford somewhere and wanted to bring up the fact that you weren't too hot on the brand. I know alot of people respect your opinion (including myself!), so wanted to include it in my post!

I agree the alarm is expensive, but really suited my needs at the time. I have no experience with Audiovox myself, and at the time of my purchase, didn't consider them. Does Audiovox have a reliable dual zone radar solution? Just curious.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
147 Posts
shinjohn,

I won't use microwave sensors anymore so I can't honestly answer that question. I don't really like shock sensors either. I consider them as "dumb sensors". We have ton's of problems with falsing down here in florida with lightning and thunder causing falsing problems, or kids with the big boom systems setting off alarms with shock sensors on them. There is all kinds of falsing circuitry in all the alarms today but not enough to suit me. Radar sensors are very hard to set up down here. They will false with heavy rain downpours all the time. The theory is that only mass will set them off. Well guess what, water is mass and we get some big rain down here, so you will get falsing when the field is outside the car. And to make it worse you might think you adjusted it correctly and only to find out that the field sets up differently each time. Don't waste your money on Radar sensors, only if you drive a convertible would I recommend it. The ODY has the best anti-theft device made right now. The immobilizer. It's pretty much standard on most vehicles now. It will cut off most vehicle theft today as we know. A great invention. Keys are expensive for it but a small price to pay to keep your vehicle. Good Luck,

DanDan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts