Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Protecting Ody seat under the carseat/booster

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  CPSDarren 
#1 ·
What do all of you use under your kids' carseats/boosters? I put a regular towel under the boosters, but after less that a week, there were definite indentations in the Ody seat...

I went to Toys R Us because I'd heard they sold something to go under carseats to protect Car Seats.... They had two things--one was a nylon thing that was thinner than my towels and the other was a stinky rubber thing that might work to protect the seat, but blecch!!!

Right now I have two towels under each seat--one folded in half to protect the seat from dirty feet and one rolled up and stuffed under the carseat's "legs" that are what's digging into the upholstery...

TIA!

Lori

------------------
2002 Redrock Pearl LX
Single CD player

See less See more
#2 ·
Lori,

We had the same problem, went to Toys R Us and a few other places - settled on the ugly rubbery thing (let me know if you want me to check on the brand). I cut it in half as only the seat needed protection not the seat back. Its not as unsightly when its hidden under the child seat. They have been in place for a month, i checked the other day, no ugly indentations, and the child seat does not slide as much - the rubber does a much better job of holding than the leather does.

Jim

#3 ·
Originally posted by Reynard:
settled on the ugly rubbery thing (let me know if you want me to check on the brand). I cut it in half as only the seat needed protection not the seat back. Its not as unsightly when its hidden under the child seat.

Cool! so one would work for both carseats? hmmm.... I just couldn't see paying $30 for two... but $15 might be worth it. And the whole van doesn't smell like a rubber factory now? ;-)

Lori

------------------
2002 Redrock Pearl LX
Single CD player

#5 ·
This is one model, I think about $13 at Babies/Toys R Us and $19 at independent baby stores:

http://www.princelionheart.com/travel4.html#SeatSaver

This is solid rubber. The smell goes away quite quickly. It will prevent stains, punctures, tears and gouges. If your carseats are in tight, it may not prevent all indentations (almost nothing will).

Please also note that nothing thick or compressible is recommended under a front-facing carseat. Multiple layers of folded towels are an example.

#6 ·
Here are two more to consider: The Car Seat Protector/Organizer and the "Car Seat Grabber". Both can be found at www.rightstart.com Look under Travel then Travel Accessories.

[This message has been edited by MrsGriffin (edited 03-11-2002).]

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:

Please also note that nothing thick or compressible is recommended under a front-facing carseat. Multiple layers of folded towels are an example.[/B]</font>
Maybe I wasn't clear enough... these are belt-positioning booster seats, so they won't be in "tight" as a properly-installed 5 pt. harnessed carseat would be.

Seriously about the towels? I know that the "Professional" carseat installers here use swimming noodles to position a carseat correctly--they said it didn't slip like a towel, but with a belt-positioning booster, I didn't think it would be as big of a deal. Can you elaborate?

Lori
very safely-conscious...and one who has been through over a dozen carseats so far with two kids...

------------------
2002 Redrock Pearl LX
Single CD player

#8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bfmomma:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough... these are belt-positioning booster seats, so they won't be in "tight" as a properly-installed 5 pt. harnessed carseat would be.

Seriously about the towels? I know that the "Professional" carseat installers here use swimming noodles to position a carseat correctly--they said it didn't slip like a towel, but with a belt-positioning booster, I didn't think it would be as big of a deal. Can you elaborate?

Lori
very safely-conscious...and one who has been through over a dozen carseats so far with two kids...

</font>
Tightly rolled towels and pool noodles are appropriate under the front of a rear-facing carseat, but only to get the appropriate recline for an infant.

This page summarizes the reasons thick materials should generally not be used under a carseat:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cpslist/message/9547

A thin rubber mat, single layer of towel, single layer of shelf liner and similar materials should not be a problem.

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone! I"m headed to Target to try to find the shelf liner to use in addition to a single towel (to protect the seat from mud).

I appreciate the comments!

Warmly,
Lori

------------------
2002 Redrock Pearl LX
Single CD player

#10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bfmomma:
Thanks, everyone! I"m headed to Target to try to find the shelf liner to use in addition to a single towel (to protect the seat from mud).
</font>
Unfortunately, I couldn't find one... I looked near the "regular" shelf liner stuff--all they had was the adhesive stuff and the non-slip thing with holes in it.

Can anyone tell me where it would be located?

TIA!

Lori

------------------
2002 Redrock Pearl LX
Single CD player

#13 ·
velcro a towel or sheet above carseat

My husband is a Stay-At-Home-Dad and after we got our Ody 1.5 months ago that was the first thing he looked into. My mother gave us some tablecloth cover material which isn't attractive,but neither is mud,dirt,snowdrippings,ice-melts residue, etc. We put a velcro strip along our childseat base just below the seat itself and fastened the clothcover to that. If you need to remove it and rinse off it's no problem and it applies so fast to the base again. Like most of you who have children in seats/boosters the feet dirting up seatcushions is a huge turnoff. Hope my post helped any of you!

#14 ·
I just bought some of this non-adhering liner at my local Walmart last night. It is great and comes already in the perfect length. I think it was 20" x 4'. The only problem I have is our interior is Quartz (grey) and the liner only came in white or dark tan. Would match the MB Ody great! It is mostly hidden by the car seat so it isn't concerning me too much about the color. It cost about $8.95 + tx CDN.

There is just enough to roll down and protect the seat front from boots. I just tucked what was extra behind the lever to move the seat forward and back. This stuff holds the child seat really good too. No sliding.

You should check another Walmart (if there is one nearby). It is a new product they told me and all stores may not have it yet.

-Kevin

#15 ·
Mr. Z said:
I just bought some of this non-adhering liner at my local Walmart last night. It is great and comes already in the perfect length. I think it was 20" x 4'. The only problem I have is our interior is Quartz (grey) and the liner only came in white or dark tan. Would match the MB Ody great! It is mostly hidden by the car seat so it isn't concerning me too much about the color. It cost about $8.95 + tx CDN.

There is just enough to roll down and protect the seat front from boots. I just tucked what was extra behind the lever to move the seat forward and back. This stuff holds the child seat really good too. No sliding.

You should check another Walmart (if there is one nearby). It is a new product they told me and all stores may not have it yet.

-Kevin
I think you picked up the same stuff as us, we had the quartz interior problem too. It worked out great.

Michelle

#16 ·
Hi, I just ordered from babystyle.com:

Mighty Tite SuperMat
Qty Price: $20.00

As hard as it is to believe, your little one will outgrow that car seat - and then what? You've got a backseat marked with the ugly, permanent indentations, scrapes and scars that car seats leave behind.
But not with the SuperMat! The partitioned squares of high-density foam makes SuperMat the only mat that prevents car seat dents and damage.

In addition to protecting your seats, the mat also provides a more even surface for your car seat and helps eliminate sliding.

The mesh pockets of this marvelous mat organize toys, snacks and bottles.

Supposedly it stops any kind of dent. They are expensive, but I bought two and another 10 dollar item and there is a coupon code YAHOOTWENTY that takes 20 off of 50. Hopefully this will do the trick.
-Heather

#17 ·
carpet remnants

I've been using a cut-up bit of carpet remnants under the base and back of the carseat. It's easy to work with and can be cut to a variety of shapes. The carpet side faces down toward the seat with the carpet back against the car seat.

Works very well. No slipping.

#18 ·
Comments on liners-

Just to reiterate some comments about liners and safety-

It is never recommended to put any type of thick, compressible material under a front facing carseat. These could effectively leave the seatbelts more slack in a crash than they would be otherwise. Very thin layers (say 1/8" or less) of rubber, nylon or a single layer of cloth towel for seat protection is usually acceptable.

Second, using a liner to prevent slipping is only useful while you install the carseat. The liner will keep the seat from creeping, but it WILL NOT hold the carseat under crash forces. Your seatbelts (or LATCH) must hold your carseat tightly, regardless of whether you use some type of liner or not. If you grab the base of the carseat where the seatbelt or LATCH strap is routed, the seat should move no more than one inch front-to-back or side-to-side.

Drive safely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.