Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An easy and inexpensive way to protect the floor mats is to get some carpet protectors from any home improvement store. They can be trimmed with an x-acto knife to form fit the floormats and also inbetween the seats in a given row. They are easier to trim if you remove the floormats and trim them outside the van. It won't hold water like the weathertechs, but they will keep the shoe grime off the carpets, and can be placed in areas that the weathertechs won't cover. They may not be cool looking, but I just want to keep our Ody clean and with two little ones under 3 we need all the help we can get. I don't have a digital camera, so these are from our camcorder, but I think the idea is pretty simple.

------------------
01 LX with mods

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not to be sarcastic or anything, but isn't the sole purpose of floor mats to protect the carpet? I look at them as replaceable maintenance items, like brake pads.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

Point well taken. I personally, however, don't want to spend several hundred dollars to replace them after they are no longer cleanable. When I get ready to sell or trade it in, I think a clean well maintained interior (and exterior) goes a long way. I only placed them in the family Odyssey because my kids make a mess everywhere they go. We also have a big dog, and it keeps his dog hair from getting imbedded in the floor mats.

·
Registered
585 Posts
..and another point I'd like to make; at some point Honda is going to redesign the Ody and the existing floormats may no longer fit; case in point the 95 Pathfinder I bought in 1997 from a dealer under the Nissan Pre-owned program. The salesman PROMISED me I'd have these really slick looking floor mats that said 'Pathfinder' on them. Well, when I went to pick up the truck; it turns out Nissan no longer made the mats that fit the old style Pathfinder and I had to settle for generic 'Nissan' mats.

Most unsatisfactory. So my point is that you should protect your mats as Honda may no longer make ones that fit after they resdesign the Ody in a few years.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with Scott on this one. Trust me that in X year's time I will NOT be looking for new floor mats. Mine will age with the car, as they have in every other car I've owned. If I buy a used car I would realistically expect the mats to show the age of the car. And I could always buy new ones myself if it was that important to me. In no way would clean or worn floormats influence my decision to purchase the car. I would just buy new ones myself if I didn't like what was in there. Maybe not OEM, but something that either would, or I would make, fit.

I liken this issue to the car bras which I dislike. Why would I want to see that ugly black thing on the front of my car every day for X years only to take it off and show how good looking the car is TO THE NEXT OWNER! Hello, I would like to enjoy the vehicle's looks during MY period of ownership. Paint chips, while I hope not to get many, do not persuade me to uglify my vehicle. No one knows chips are there while on the road, but the bras stand out for a good long distance.

Just my morning rant. To each his own...

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's why I bought weathertech rubber mats to protect the stock Honda Mats. Carpet protector from Home Depot is too slippery and don't look in $30k Ody.
If you guys are worried about Honda may change the floor mats why don't you get a set now and stock up.
H and A selling for $115.34 cheaper than weathertech I paid.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 07-31-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts