Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and I bought a 2002 Ody yesterday. I bought it to replace my 1997 Ford Windstar. So far, I really do think I made a good decision. I have always liked the body lines on the Ody compaired to everything else on the market, but the really important part is my wife and kids are happy. My wife likes that we have power sliding doors. My kids like the DVD.
Since I have just found this site, I haven't had a chance to really look around, so you may not see me post much yet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to add a few things about my plans for the van in the next few weeks:

Change Oil, flush coolant, check spark plugs and air filter. Check brake fluid and pads/shoes. I have already looked over the belts and they seem fine. I'm stopping at auto zone today to pick up oil, filter, air filter and new wipers so I figure I will have them check my battery while I'm there. Anything else I should look over that I may have missed?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You supplied no information on your mileage and service record or who maintained the vehicle.

Re: coolant. Use only the Honda 50/50 brand. The aftermarket stuff can cause deposits and eat gaskets.

Go ahead and replace the spark plugs while you got them out: NGK PZFR5F-11 only. Also replace the cabin air/pollen filter. Get the K&N air filter: 33-2174.

If you are changing oil I suggest synthetic oil such as Mobil1 (10W-30 for Texas heat) and Mobil 1 oil filter (M1-104).

Most important. Transmission failure is a serious issue so I strongly suggest that you drain and refill the transmission 4 times (only about 3.5 quarts of the ATF can be drained at a time) in order to replace the Honda ATF with its high concentration of friction modifiers (i.e. slippery) with a synthetic fluid like Mobile 1 or Redline D4 ATF. You will need 14 quarts and this will give you about 95% new ATF.

If there is no transmission cooler, I strongly suggest you install at least the factory cooler or better, an aftermarket ATF cooler.

Do a search on the transmission issues and you will find lots of tips and traps.

Honda Odyssey Accessories - Maintenance Items

Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D4 ATF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about not posting milage/service records.

Current milage is 133k and I bought the car from a dealership. They didn't have any service records.
My Ody does have an issue with the transmission where it shifts hard from first to second at times. The dealership is going to fix it on Tuesday (hopefully) and for no charge. That was part of the agreement I had with them. After I get it back from the dealership I plan on refilling the transmission fluid and maybe doing it again in a few months just to make sure.

I didn't get a chance to finish looking over the van today, however I do plan on finishing up tomorrow and changing the oil. It does look like they changed the oil and topped off the fluids, which is good. The brake fluid was a nice light amber color. I didn't get to check the transmission fluid because the Ody is on the driveway and didn't get a chance to move my Windstar out of the garage.

Thanks Sinbad for pointing me in the right direction with more information on my new Ody. I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome aboard, nuks. Like Sinbad said, check or change the cabin air filter. It may not seem too important, but those things probably get overlooked and they will get really nasty and moldy. I believe they are due to be changed every 30k miles. You can find plenty of threads on locating it behind the glove box and about changing it. Hope you enjoy your van.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tom for reminding me on the cabin air filter. I'll be replacing that today.
I have ordered my ATF cooler and plan on installing that as soon as possible. I am also planning on ordering an inline transmission filter as well. Later this week I will take it in for an alignment check (it doesn't pull any direction, just want to be safe) and then buying some new tires. They aren't bad, but getting close. I'm just trying to make sure everything is OK on the van and I know where I stand as far as maintenance.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nuks, I would find out from the dealer specifically what work/parts were performed/replaced on the transmission repair. I assume they are giving you a used car warranty of some type. What are the terms?

Re: no service records. What does the Car Fax report say?

Re: ATF filter: The Magnefine is a comparatively quick in-line install but some have opted for a spin-on filter mounted on the firewall. Lots of search-able stuff here.

Re: ATF change. There was a warranty recall and TSB that added an external ATF line and attached it to the transmission fill hole, in order to supply lubrication to the third gear cluster. Hopefully this has been done -- look to see -- if not then the dealer should do this at N/C. This means that you will have to add ATF via the dip stick hole -- no big problem, just search.

What ATF cooler are you intending? Honda or aftermarket like the Tru-cool or the like? If Honda you might be able to install the stacked plate (rather than the finned tube) model the became available on 2007 models.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts