Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '02 LX just before Christmas, and on the initial test drive I noted a pull to the right. The dealer adjusted the sub-frame and realigned, and it seems better. But if you tromp on it, even at highway speeds, it will always drift to the right while under acceleration. I've never had a FWD car do that at highway speeds, only from standing start. I gotta know: Do they all do this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wouldn't think it is torque steer, since the Odyssey has equal length half-shafts.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
131 Posts
After the sub frame shift mine is OK now... I actually have slightly more caster in the right front then I have in the left front according to the alignment sheet I read. Initially I had .2 degrees more in the left front and now I have .1 degrees more castor in the right front... (or vica versa -- I can't remember now... and the wife has the van with the report in it.)

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

[This message has been edited by Shaners (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But, does any of your Ody's pull to the right under acceleration? Mine is fine under steady speed cruising, but accelerate briskly and she goes to the right. I would appreciate it if some of you could check yours to see if it does the same thing.

The halfshafts are equal length and probably equal angle, but there is an intermediate shaft. That means the drive to one wheel is longer than the other overall. Also, other front-end geometry affects torque steer, things such as where the steering knuckle axis of rotation intersects the ground relative to the centerline of the wheel, and whether that offset is the same on both sides.

Anyway, any real-world input would be appreciated. This is a great website, and I have learned a lot!

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tell me the procedure how to check mine to?

Can I stop completely first, then while both hands untouched the steering wheels, and then put down gas pedal real fast, and then see how the van shift to the right without the hands touching wheels?? Is that how you guys check it that way? Or at what speed? on freeway too? I never did check or see any shift during my normal range driving. Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 50 mph, accererate briskly, about half throttle. Mine will pull right. Will yours?

It doesn't pull either way just cruising. It does pull when accelerating briskly from a stop, but that is fairly common in FWD cars and is less of a concern.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess everyone has had a busy weekend! If anyone gets a chance to notice, I'd appreciate a bit of input on this to see if I should try to get this corrected.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by accordian:
At 50 mph, accererate briskly, about half throttle. Mine will pull right. Will yours?

It doesn't pull either way just cruising. It does pull when accelerating briskly from a stop, but that is fairly common in FWD cars and is less of a concern.

Thanks!!
</font>
I am startled by how much it leaps to the right if I really step on the gas at any speed. I don't know if this is OK or not.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
131 Posts
I checked mine this weekend, and didn't notice any problem. I was climbing a long hill and pulled out and passed 2 cars. I had the subframe shift done to mine, but I don't think it would apply to this, but who knows...

The van most definatly will follow the crown or contour of the road though...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for replies so far. I don't know if driving uphill is quite the same because you are unlikely to remove your hands from the steering wheel. It doesn't pull hard enough to draw attention if you are concentrating on driving.

To test, accelerate briskly from 50 or 60 mph, with your hands off the steering wheel. Mine goes decidedly to the right, no question about it. I'd like as much input as I can get on this. Many thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine doesn't do this unless I'm in the far right lane where the crown will draw you to the right. Have you tried other lanes/ roads?
Also, check your tire pressures.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Accordian,

There are a lot of good suggestions here but one thing I didn't notice. Did your dealer try rotating the tires before any of the subframe adjustments?

I know this seems an unlikely source of such a strong pull but I've had tires on previous vehicles I've owned that produced just that effect. No amount of front end adjusting corrected the problem. When they replaced the tires and put the front end back where it was supposed to be (they had things pretty far out of whack trying to correct this problem) the situation was solved.

My '01 LX had a light but consistant pull to the right when I first got it. The dealer cross rotated the front tires left to right/right to left and that fixed the problem.

Just a thought, FWIW.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tires have been rotated, pressures are 36 psi all around. Mine has Bridgestone Potenza RE910 from the factory. Pull to right only occurs under acceleration, even at speed, no matter what lane I am in. It isn't a hard pull, but it will climb a very mild crown in the road. When coasting or maintaining speed, it might drift very slightly in the direction of the crown, but there is no pull.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought this issue would generate quite a bit of response. I assume no one else, other than those that have replied, has noticed a pull to right under acceleration?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It only pulls when under acceleration, so I don't want to deflate one tire because that would likely affect pull at steady speed. Also, if it requires deflating one tire to get it to go straight, something else is wrong. I'd rather get at the root of the problem rather than hide the symptom.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I made a mistake on my tires; they are Bridgstone Potenza RE92. I had posted earlier they were RE910. I don't know what the difference is.

I demonstrated the problem to my service manager today. He does not know if it's common or not, so he said as soon as the get another load of Ody's he'll find out. Should be Monday.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello out there! Anybody else notice whether their van pulls or not under acceleration? I need to know, because now the service manager (Erik at JohnEagle) is trying to tell me it's just a characteristic of the car. My sister's 2000 EX doesn't do it, though. His explanation for that is that the engine and transmission is different in my '02. Now, I may have been born at night, but..... The engine has more power, but not enough more to make one pull and the other not. The transmission has an extra gear, but the case itself is the same. So the front end geometry has not changed. I have been promised a drive in a new '02, but so far the dealership hasn't been able to put their hands on one long enough to let me take it out of a 1 mile test (1 mile is more than enough to make the determination).

C'mon, gang! Help me out here! Please post your observations.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by accordian (edited 02-06-2002).]

1 - 20 of 108 Posts