Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Pull to the right

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  darelldd 
#1 ·
I think there was a post here regarding the pull to the right and also a scanned page for the TSB from Honda. Would anyone know where that is? I tried the search feature but couldn't find it.

I remember it said only for Odyssey 2000 - All. The dealer I spoke to said it only pertain to the 2000 models and not the 2001 models!

I think I'm getting the run around from the dealer.

#2 ·
I have also noticed a pull to the right on our 2001 EX-Navi, with less than 600 miles so far. It is very slight, but noticable. Seems like I have to keep a little left presure on the wheel to keep going straight on a straight and level freeway. Is this similiar to your symptoms? I would also appreciate a follow-up from anyone familiar with this.

-Follow up
I did find a reference to the TSB on yahoo clubs- honda odyssey. It is at
http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/drift.pdf

I also have the pdf file if anyone wants it emailed to them.

I tried the "6 second lane change" test, and mine is marginal, so I think I will take it in and see what they say. One poster on the yahoo board said the dealer told him it was a "safety feature", to prevent a head on collision. Talk about clueless ! From what I can tell, most of the posts were in the Oct/Nov 2000 time frame, some from 2000's and some from 2001's. The TBS does say 2000, but perhaps it has been updated.

-Rick

Regards,

-Rick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kvoman:
I think there was a post here regarding the pull to the right and also a scanned page for the TSB from Honda. Would anyone know where that is? I tried the search feature but couldn't find it.

I remember it said only for Odyssey 2000 - All. The dealer I spoke to said it only pertain to the 2000 models and not the 2001 models!

I think I'm getting the run around from the dealer.
</font>

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-16-2001).]

#3 ·
My 2001 lx has been serviced once for a drift to the right problem. Alignment was found to be O.K. so front tires were switched. Initially, problem seemed to be better. Recently however, I think problem is back. I mentioned the sub-frame shift TSB to the sevice manager and he played dumb. I think I will give them one more shot before I go to regional and demand to have subframe shift done. I would be interested in any posts dealing with how others were treated with this problem. Anybody satisfied?

#4 ·
Just purchased an Ody 2001 EX last week. Noticed a pull to the right during test drive and listed it as one of the things that needed correcting at time of purchase. Dealer kept vehicle overnight to take care of this problem plus couple other things I wanted done. Have driven vehicle now about 200 miles. The alignment he did seems to have helped some, but problem is still there. My wife noticed on her own too w/o my saying anything. Thanks to the posts in this forum, I'll do the 6 sec. test and show dealer TSB 00-067 if the test fails. I have an appointment with dealer next week. Will keep users here posted if you're still interested.

#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by machman:
Just purchased an Ody 2001 EX last week. Noticed a pull to the right during test drive and listed it as one of the things that needed correcting at time of purchase. Dealer kept vehicle overnight to take care of this problem plus couple other things I wanted done. Have driven vehicle now about 200 miles. The alignment he did seems to have helped some, but problem is still there. My wife noticed on her own too w/o my saying anything. Thanks to the posts in this forum, I'll do the 6 sec. test and show dealer TSB 00-067 if the test fails. I have an appointment with dealer next week. Will keep users here posted if you're still interested.</font>

Good luck with the dealer next week. I certainly will be interested in how the dealer treats you and if/how the problem is resolved. One question though, did the dealer actually have to fix the alignment or did he say he would "check" the alignment. I would be surprised if a new car
would be out of alignment, but I suppose it's possible. As I stated in my previous post my alignment was fine and they just switched the front tires.

#7 ·
First let's start off by covering the fact that there is minimal alignment adjsutment available to the dealer. All Honda's are like this. So if the alignment is off there is an actual problem. Most of the time the vehicle is within specs set forth by Honda. However, due to roads(road crown)/usage/vehicle condition(tire condition/air pressure) a pull may occur.

It is true that most manufactures set it up so if a pull/drift were to occur it will go right, plus road crown has alot to do with that. It is a fine balance, if you adjust a vehicle to overcome road crown where you live and take the vehicle to a flat road then there is a high chance the vehicle will drift left.

Test your vehicle: Drive at 60MPH on a flat or as flat as possible road, let go of the wheel(I know this sounds crazy but make sure you are not doing this on a busy road)with a stop watch measure the amount of time it takes for a complete not partial but complete lane change, if this happens sooner that 6 seconds then your vehicle is out of spec. Take it to the dealer and they will address either by shifting the beam over, adjust cross-caster or cross-camber to your needs.

Hope this helps. If not sorry for wasting your time.

#8 ·
I noticed the exact same problem, as soon as I took delivery of mine.

Here's what has been done:
- dealer said wheel alignment was dead on but did minor adjustments anyway, but problem was not fixed
- dealer cross-rotated tires and looked for loose suspension bolts. Still pulled to the right.

Just spoke with the service advisor on the phone. They suggested that we let the Honda area rep test drive it and determine if there's a problem. But that will be a month away!

Anyway, they told me the TSB 00-67 is a bad idea in my case. That's because the subframe pull applies only if the car is out of specs. In my case, mine is within specs. To do the TSB now will just cause my car to go out of specs, even though it may solve the problem. Furthermore, I could then be looking at $$$ repairs a few years from now.

Help!

#10 ·
Mine pulled to the right as soon as I took possession.

Took it to the Honda dealer and they did alignment. Said alignment was out of specs and what ever they did to it made some improvement, but it still pulled slightly right. I did the lane change cross over test, and the vehicle was within "specs", but it still pulled to the right.

I also have a Volvo V70 T5 (also a front wheel drive car) and it tracks straight as an arrow, regardless of road crown.

On my last service to the dealer, I took the Honda TSB in and complained again that the van pulled right. I don't know what they did, but they fixed it this time. Now the van tracks straight, no pull to the right. Much more pleasurable to drive on long trips now, without the pull.

We currently have >6,000 miles on our '01 TW EX-N.

Good luck.

#11 ·
Our Odyssey pulled significantly to the right (lane change in 4-5 seconds at 60 mph on a flat road) from the start. It made me pretty uncomfortable to accept a new car that wasn't perfect ... but we bought from an out of town dealer who refused to fix it prior to delivery.

Today, we took the Odyssey back to a local dealer (Los Gatos Honda), who fixed the problem perfectly according to the TSB.

Many thanks to those who reported the problem and the TSB!

#12 ·
We bought a new 2001 LX recently and it has the pull to right. It marginally meets the 6 second requirement. We returned it to the dealer and they played dumb. After doing some research, we found this site and the service bulletin and will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Unfortunately we took it to a mechanic we trust today and he said it appears to be adjusted as far over as possible. I really hope we're not looking at invoking the lemon laws!! Anyone else had this experience?
Thanks

------------------
JT

#13 ·
I also noticed the occasional drift of my Odyssey. Sometimes to the right, but sometimes to the left. I tried to explain this by the side wind effect, but could not entirely overcome my concerns about this. Sometimes it seemed to be no wind at all but the drift was there.
I will take a second look at that now, with the 6-second rule knowledge.

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 09-04-2001).]

#15 ·
It took my two trips to the dealer, but they finally fixed it correctly. Don't put up with their lame excuses. The car should not drift AT ALL. After it was fixed, it was much nicer to drive-you weren't fighting the drift all the time. Car does not drift at all now. Don't give up. Take the TSB with you to the dealer. If that dealer doesn't fix it, take it to another one.

#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JTSanders:
We bought a new 2001 LX recently and it has the pull to right. It marginally meets the 6 second requirement. We returned it to the dealer and they played dumb. After doing some research, we found this site and the service bulletin and will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Unfortunately we took it to a mechanic we trust today and he said it appears to be adjusted as far over as possible. I really hope we're not looking at invoking the lemon laws!! Anyone else had this experience?
Thanks
</font>
Hi JT,

I took delivery of my '01 LX in June with the same problem. I called the dealer and they said that they rarely have trouble with the Ody's front end and that it was probably the tires (Firestones) but that they'd be glad to look at it. I took it to them and they did a test drive. Ultimitely, they rotated the front tires right to left and vice versa. That seems to have cured the problem. I have no significant pulling either way. When it does seem to pull, I can almost always see a reason for it, like road crown or a cross wind. For now, I'm very happy with the way my Ody drives. I'm curious to see if the problem returns when it's due for it's first tire rotation. We'll see!

Drive Safe,
Steve

#17 ·
When I called about our drift to the right problem (noticed immediately after purchase), before I could get out the sentence they asked if it "pulled to the right". They are TOTALLY AWARE of this. What was funny, however, is that when the service person called back, she asked if we hit a pothole or something. Obviously, that meant it was really out of whack.

Do not drive with your Ody like this. And get it in ASAP, or you'll have to pay for it yourself.

#18 ·
I love it when the service guys tell me that it's the crown of the road. Like I've never driven a car on the roads around my house before. I realize that if a road is crowned, or there is a cross-wind that the car will pull. But I've driven a half-million miles in my life, and I'm pretty confident that I can tell when my car pulls one way ALL The time.

It will be the first thing I look for on my 2002.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.