Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck gave out, too cheap to buy a new one and have been driving my 89 accord daily, happily. Problem is the wind kicked up, forcing me to remove our 22' pontoon from the lake pronto, onlt thing around was now the wife's van which did a great job. Question is, how many times do I dare do this (3 block trip) and do I dare pull it 20 miles to winter storage? When I drive the boat on the trailer am I hurting the park pin even if the brake is set? thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Doesn't sound like your driving far enough to bother anything. Heat is what hurts these transmissions, you don't appear to go far enough to heat it up much unless that's all stop and go traffic for 20 miles. Tranny cooler is always a good cheap add-on though. As for the park pin, if you're nervous about it leave it in neutral and have someone in the van with the brakes on.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Your 22' pontoon rig isn't loads heavier than my 18' glass-hulled bass boat, but it has loads & loads of wind drag. The rest of this post assumes that you do not have an additional ATF cooler installed (OEM or otherwise).

I agree with OdyinNH, the 3-block trip is easy-peasy. I instrumented my ATF lines and found that a short trip like that can be handled by our trannies with no additional ATF cooler. On a 20-mile trip to our local lake, the ATF outlet temp steadily made it's way up past 200-deg F with no indication it would ever stop rising, even with the Honda OEM ATF cooler in place. We always stopped just past the halfway point to let it cool down, and continued the remaining distance.

The next is strictly my limited opinion. If you're going to do 20 miles, some conditions that must exist:
1.) No stop-and-go traffic (as mentioned by OdyinNH). You need a continuous run with little change in power.
2.) Slow speeds. The wind drag of that pontoon boat is considerable, more so than a travel trailer.
3.) No hills (I guess that's obvious).

Also, it's the cooler part of the year right now. That helps a lot, since the OEM in-tank ATF cooler/heater is in the bottom of the radiator core (least hot part of the radiator). You wouldn't believe how a change in temp from 55 degrees to 45 degrees can make a BIG difference in ATF temp for an Ody with no additional ATF cooler installed.

OF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome advise guys, thanks a bunch. Yes there is no cooler on it and you are right about the drag since I have a bunk trailer that goes under the toons, oh I get the looks at the launch, that boat looks like it will eat the van! as for the 20 miles, pretty easy, no big hills in this part of Wi and mostly 2 lane blacktop, I can go slow and will only do it 2x a year in spring and fall.
As for the park pin advise, thanks again, makes sense. I will start bribing a nieghbor to help me for beer. My wife is quite capable, but with 3 girls under the age of 5, it is always easier to do it myself.
Now it is time to start planning on that power door assembly install b4 winter.......
godofgsxr
03 Ody ex 152k tech school tranny at 144k
89 accord 5 spd ex=i
75 cb750 horrible shape but runs
78 ct70 monkey bike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts