Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've come across a Teas low mileage 03 EX Odyssey.

I've spoken with the seller and he seems like a great fellow. I'm going to be flying out to see the car in a few days and I'm wondering what things should I watch out for?

He has told me that the mileage is mostly city mileage and he is the original owner.


I ran a CARFAX and everything seems to checks out.

I plan to take an OBD II reader with me aswell.

Here is a PDF file of the pics:

PDF file 03 Odyssey pics



What should I keep an eye for? I really appreciate all the insight I can get.

GOD BLESS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
That PDF link to pictures does not work. I get this message:
"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Otherwise, that's pretty low mileage for a 2003. Might be a good van.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
I get the same message when trying to view the file.

Check the transmission fluid for burnt color and smell. You might spend some more time digging through some of the transmission threads, the '03 will have the 5-speed auto which still had issues. I know they added an oil-sprayer kit onto this vintage at some point (the 5-speed was new for 2002). City miles aren't easy on a tranny either, lots of shifting up and down.

Consider the potential cost of a replacement transmission into your purchase price.

Good luck, that's a long way to travel for a vehicle, and I sincerely hope everything works out for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve P said:
That PDF link to pictures does not work. I get this message:
"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Otherwise, that's pretty low mileage for a 2003. Might be a good van.

Sorry guys ...about that non-working site.

The one below works:

Odyssey PDF Photos

Just be sure to go to the bo9ttom of the page where it says:

Save file to your PC: click here

Click there...

Please let me know what you think!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
theodydude, I am no mechanic, though I did all of the work on our 2004 Ody after the warranty ran out. As for this van, I'd be skeptical of mileage that low, but then again, I am skeptical even when I buy new. I looked at your pics, and some thoughts I have are,

#4 Looks like a pretty good lick to the bumper and they just popped the plastic back out. I'd look underneath to see if anything else got damaged.

#13 The brake fluid looks low and dirty. It should have been changed every three years regardless of mileage. If it was never changed, could that harm the ABS? Why wasn't it changed?

#13 Is the tube above the air filter housing cracked? If so, why?

#26 Our 2004 Ody came with Symmetrys. If these are originals, then maybe the mileage is accurate.

Also, the timing belt is due to be changed at seven years regardless of mileage, and that can be $1000 repair. And, I'd make sure all of the windows work, especially the rear side windows that have weak motors. Also, if there were recalls, like the recall of the 04s for a cooling jet to be added to the transmission, were those recalls done?

I'd definitely look around to see if all of the VIN numbers match on the doors and wherever else they should be, and I would want to see his bill of sale.

Hope I did not rain on your parade, but you asked. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tom34diy said:
theodydude, I am no mechanic, though I did all of the work on our 2004 Ody after the warranty ran out. As for this van, I'd be skeptical of mileage that low, but then again, I am skeptical even when I buy new. I looked at your pics, and some thoughts I have are,

#4 Looks like a pretty good lick to the bumper and they just popped the plastic back out. I'd look underneath to see if anything else got damaged.

#13 The brake fluid looks low and dirty. It should have been changed every three years regardless of mileage. If it was never changed, could that harm the ABS? Why wasn't it changed?

#13 Is the tube above the air filter housing cracked? If so, why?

#26 Our 2004 Ody came with Symmetrys. If these are originals, then maybe the mileage is accurate.

Also, the timing belt is due to be changed at seven years regardless of mileage, and that can be $1000 repair. And, I'd make sure all of the windows work, especially the rear side windows that have weak motors. Also, if there were recalls, like the recall of the 04s for a cooling jet to be added to the transmission, were those recalls done?

I'd definitely look around to see if all of the VIN numbers match on the doors and wherever else they should be, and I would want to see his bill of sale.

Hope I did not rain on your parade, but you asked. Good luck.
:hi:


#4 he told me that a person backed into the van when his wife took it to Wal-mart. Does it look like that to you?


# 13 I will check for the brake fluid/servicing in the 10 pages of service records I should be getting today.

#13 the tube to the air housing if cracked should be cheap to replace ...right?

I don't know why it would be cracked though...???

I'll find this out when I go to see it in person...unless you think it's very crucial to ask him about it in advance.

#26 That's a very good question.

I recently found an Odyssey listed with 13,000 miles online. I called the dealer and they told me that the actual mileage was much higher around 100,000 miles but the instrument cluster had been replaced. The new cluster read 13K though.

I did ask him whether he had replaced the tires. He told me the tires were the ones that came with the van.

____

The timing belt has not been replaced.

I will be sure to check the rear windows. I will also ensure to check the VIN numbers on as many panels and doors as I can find.

What should I look for on the bill of sale?


Oh... did I mention thanks for raining on my parade...just joking with you friend!:D ;)

I would much rather be well informed and have the van scrutinized then have a premature parade...if you know what I mean.;) :)

Are there any other pics you would like that I should ask for?

Thanks alot friend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,273 Posts
Originally posted by theodydude I did ask him whether he had replaced the tires. He told me the tires were the ones that came with the van.
As well, you might want to replace the tires while you're down visiting Texas. Those tires are approaching 8 years old. There are Discount Tire shops all over Texas.

I'm happy with our Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, but there are many other really good brands that our forum members seem to like.

What a find. About 4000 miles per year. They put in a tank of gas only once per month!:D

OF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
I checked out the other pics. Is that body damage behind the right front tire? You probably noticed it and it may just be cosmetic.

Once you see the repair documents, if the docs are real, and the mileage at various dates is consistent with its current mileage, that would be comforting.

One thing I'd be interested in, though it's no big deal, but has he ever changed the cabin air filter? It is located behind the glove box, and you have to remove the black tabs inside the glove box door (with your fingers) to lower the door to see where the filter is housed. If you do that and there is a plastic bar across the area, then it has never been changed. There may be a metal bar there, and that is okay, but the vans leave the factory with a plastic bar in front of the metal bar, and it has to be cut out to move the metal bar to get to the filter. You will need tools to look at the filter. After seven years, that filter might have some serious mold. You will need to search this forum if you need to know more about the cabin air filter replacement. Maybe it was done.

My last thought, if you are not going to have a mechanic check it out, is to look where the spare is located in the floor behind the front row. I would look in that compartment for dirt or mud, which might mean it was flooded. It probably was not, but it does not hurt to look.

Good luck with it. That is a long way to go for a vehicle. You must be getting a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all your insight and advice Tom!

I will definitely check for those things when I go to see it.

After taxes and import duties are payed I'm looking at almost $ 12,000 .

Mileage(31K) was/is the highlight of the car...I know it's not everything...but still to me it's very significant.

I also really love that it's a one owner southern car.

I did check the repair docs tonight. The miles seem to be true.


I have all the service records now in my possession. The mechanic shop faxed them to me.

The only services though seem to be oil changes and chassis lubrication and 1 HONDA recall fix.

The last few years have been synthetic.

Would it really be worth having a mechanic inspect it?

I won't know any of the mechanics in the area.

Thanks alot!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top