Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have decided to get an Odyssey sometime this year. We have found the model, color and price we want, but decided to wait until the school year starts in September before we purchase the van (my wife wants it for car pooling).

My concern is that if we wait until September it will be hard to find the color and model we want due to the production problems related to the EQ in Japan.

Do you think we should pull the trigger now even though we really don't need the car, or wait until September and take our chances? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I saw that thread. However, that thread is about pricing issues, my question is about availability issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Same thing pretty much. Less availability and higher price. Supply and Demand you know.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Who knows what availability will be? If you can buy now, do it. Why wait? Deals are still out there, see what you can get, if it's not to your liking, then wait.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a feeling the 2012 Odysseys will be coming out around September 2011, so by then, you might be temped to get the newer model.

;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
With other manufacturers, the end of a model year comes with cash incentives to move the old models. Historically, Honda offers financing incentives, instead. So, if you are paying cash, buy it when you can find what you want.

·
Registered
687 Posts
New model year Odyssey's usually don't arrive until late October or November
Actually, the 2011 Honda Odyssey was available in the US on September 30, 2010 and Canada on October 22, 2010.

But that doesn't mean all colors and trims were available at all dealers on those release dates.

;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Odyssey production

Odyssey production shouldn't be greatly affected by the recent earthquake in Japan, for its birthplace is in Lincoln, AL. If there's any shortage in parts, Honda has already assured the market that the most it could disrupt the supply for that particular part is a couple of weeks.

You should be okay whenever you decide to make the move this year. It's you who should be dictating since you're the buyer and you'll still end up paying for it. One of the dealers' arsenals is to create some pressure on the prospective buyer that they should get it now, not later. It's up to the buyer to resist it and force things to be played his/her way according to their comfort level.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Odyssey production shouldn't be greatly affected by the recent earthquake in Japan, for its birthplace is in Lincoln, AL. If there's any shortage in parts, Honda has already assured the market that the most it could disrupt the supply for that particular part is a couple of weeks.

You should be okay whenever you decide to make the move this year. It's you who should be dictating since you're the buyer and you'll still end up paying for it. One of the dealers' arsenals is to create some pressure on the prospective buyer that they should get it now, not later. It's up to the buyer to resist it and force things to be played his/her way according to their comfort level.
As the moderator has posted, this has been covered in another thread. I don't think you are giving the original poster very good information. There have been numerous articles on the web from respected sources (Wall Street Journal, etc.) that Honda is experiencing some parts shortages and has slowed production of several models manufactured in US plants. I haven't heard that any particular part delay was a maximum of 2 weeks. the reporters haven't stated the duration of delays for any particular parts.

Delivery of the Odyssey has also slowed and some members of the forum have indicated that dealers are taking advantage of the "hysteria" and are holding to higher price offers than earlier in the year.

Everyone has an opinion on what someone in the market should do so here is my $0.02 worth: If you must have a van by September, I'd buy one now. The model changeover in Canada is usually not until stock is well depleted and has typically been in October of each year. When the new models arrive, there are often limited colour choices and the higher level trims tend to show up first.

if your wife has a car to drive until you are ready to replace it, then you are in the driver's seat. The parts shortages are a limited time issue and I believe Honda has worked around most of them by now. We are only at the start of May and I'm betting there will be no significant supply constraint in a month or so. Come the end of September, there will likely be good supply of 2011 models and the 2012's will be arriving. If the 2012's have a 6 speed auto and some other corrections (battery management system), you can take a 2012 or save an additional $1,500 in factory rebates and get a leftover 2011.

The purchaser who isn't in a hurry is in the driver's eat. This supply constraint issue is going to pass. Don't panic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Apologies if my earlier post convey a somewhat different information from what is reality. The April 13 edition of the local Birmingham news did confirm that the Lincoln plant of Honda scaled back its production of the Odyssey though it didn't specify by how much. This is before the horrendous tornado that hit the state a few days ago. Who knows how that affected further the production of the Odyssey.

If the OP can wait as long as possible, so much the better. But with so many factors currently in play (earthquake, tornado, high gas prices, etc.) who knows what will be the buyer's landscape a month, a quarter, or a year from now?

·
Banned
728 Posts
I agree, but there is nothing like the prospect of making money to motivate companies like Honda and Toyota.

For price and possible new features, I'd wait until after the 2012's arrive. The OP said he wanted to buy a van this year. I doubt the current problems will be backing up supply by December.

But, you are reading a post from a guy that took 6 months to make up his mind between Honda and Toyota and then was content to wait it out until the dealer agreed to an invoice plus $500.00 deal. Others might not be as patient (or crazy). :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
All Canadian dealers have their allocations halved so that means good luck in getting a 2011 Odyssey for the next 3-4 months. Dealers are holding firm to their pricing ... law of supply and demand in effect. Go with used but the prices at the auctions are rising so get one quick.
Soon you will see most incentives leave but their will be some decent interest rates for used the next few months.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We have decided to get an Odyssey sometime this year. We have found the model, color and price we want, but decided to wait until the school year starts in September before we purchase the van (my wife wants it for car pooling).

My concern is that if we wait until September it will be hard to find the color and model we want due to the production problems related to the EQ in Japan.

Do you think we should pull the trigger now even though we really don't need the car, or wait until September and take our chances? Thanks.

Jeff
If it were me (and it was a month ago) unless there was a financial issue or specific reason not to move forward, I'd buy now. You hit the trifecta - model, color + price. My wife LOVED mocha metallic and would have settled for a few other colors. Once we found MM, we went for it because they were hard to find. There are lots of great thoughts in this thread but at the end of the day, no one can tell you what supplies will be in Sept or later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
It all depends on you...

Really, the decision as to when to make your purchase all depends on you. As you can see from the posts so far, while Honda may have been somewhat consistent as to their new year release schedules (end of Sept, early Oct, depending on where you live), sometimes, actually rolling out the vehicles take a very long time...and availability in your area may be limited.

Some questions & thoughts to consider:

• Do you want to take a chance on getting a remaining 2011 model with rebates and incentives at the end of the model year?
  • Can you afford to "play that game" considering you NEED the van in September? You might have to simply take the trim/color/accessories of that stock that is left.
  • There is no way to foretell what the availability will be in the next few months, even if Honda (or dealers) might say that they don't see significant problems from here on out.
  • I was in contract on at the end of Dec 2010 (pre-earthquake) and the specific model/color wasn't built and shipped to my dealer until mid-February 2011. And some others on this forum have posted similar wait times.
An interesting note: it took a very long time, but all of a sudden, I've started seeing a lot of 2011 Odysseys where I live in northern NJ. Could have been luck of the draw, but just this past weekend, I saw 3 black models (1 was touring) and 2 silvers...all driving within miles of my home. Crazy!

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ask for the Costco price- $200 over invoice! I payed something like $3,000 down and waited for the color/trim to come to a different dealer. Then about 3 weeks later, both dealers traded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does the Costco pricing work? I was told you'll never know the actual price until you're at the desk ready to pay.... I've had bad experiences with Honda dealers in the past, telling me that my offering price on an Accord (negotiating for my friend) was an "asinine" price offer... I walked off pissed! and wrote a nasty letter to Honda of Bellevue that I would never come back. Do Honda dealers really have a "threshold" they won't go over?

My car is paid off in September, and after months of going back and forth on Sienna vs Odyssey, I think the Odyssey is the one I want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wolfgang,
The MSRP for our Touring was $41,535 (includes $780 D &H). The invoice was $38,052 + $200 because I asked for the Costco price. Other dealers gave me the spiel that they don't offer Costco prices especially for a new model. I purchased my last 3 vehicles this way and its hassle free. Search around. Costco executive membership is $100 and it is well worth it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts