Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced car battery now radio won't start- need code. Dealer wants $95 to pull radio to get code?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you look in the owner manual packet to see if the code card is there? It should be a separate small wallet-size card AND possibly written on the manual itself.

When I got my 2010 (new) the code card was missing from the packet. I asked the dealer for the code and they were able to get the code by knowing the VIN without pulling anything apart.

You don't say how old the van is, I suppose in some cases they might have to pull the radio to get the serial number of the radio to have Honda get the code, considering the trouble $95 isn't all that unreasonable for shop labor time.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you bought your van from a dealer they should have given you the code. If they didn't, you should ask (demand?) that the dealership provide it to you.

Hopefully the dealer that wants $95 isn't the same dealer that didn't give you the code when you bought the van. :stupid:

·
Registered
91 Posts
mamacar said:
Replaced car battery now radio won't start- need code. Dealer wants $95 to pull radio to get code?????
If you are the orignal owner and bought the van new. I suggest you go to your original dealer where you purchase the vehicle. Your radio code should be in their database. This will save you time and money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the five digit number under the cover of the fuse box in the engine bay. Had the same problem today when I changed the worthless oem battery. I called my Honda tech friend & it saved me a trip to the stealer. Just enter the code on the radio station programing buttons. I beat Honda at their own game. Make friends with a Honda Tech and you can too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Ody is a'99, bought used from Carmax. No card . Nothing on the book. I tried a number I found on a sticker in the glove box, but the radio still says 'code error'.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
mamacar said:
My Ody is a'99, bought used from Carmax. No card . Nothing on the book. I tried a number I found on a sticker in the glove box, but the radio still says 'code error'.
Turn the key to on, turn radio off. Push buttons 1 and 6 on the radio, then push the power button. Does it give you an 8 digit number?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, everyone who tried to help. I finally have my radio back. Because the radio said 'code'error' we unhooked the battery and then rehooked it up. The radio then said 'code'. We were able then to enter the five digit number that we found on a sticker in the glove box. PRESTO!! $95 saved!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am presently going through this routine myself after disconnecting the battery to recharge it, probably as a result of leaving the interior lights on. I made the mistake of pushing buttons mindlessly to see what results and got things out of whack. Finally read the manual to learn about the code card and that I would have to leave the radio on for an hour to get back to just the word 'code' being displayed since I had exceeded the number of entry attempts allowed. It did go back but I haven't got up the nerve to start over yet. I had also noted that the clock would not display and the manual said nothing about why that would be but I am hoping that when I enter the code and the radio is restored, the clock will come back as well. I am going to invest in a small 12v keep alive battery that I can clip on to the leads should I want to disconnect the battery anytime for charging, replacement or terminal cleaning. I had not known how dependent automobile systems had become on having continuous voltage. Also have a 2004 Thunderbird and the manual warns that if the the battery is disconnected, the transmission will have to relearn its optimum shift points. Oh well... One more reason to keep a small 12v keep alive handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts