Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull up to the gate at night I have noticed that one of my headlights is higher than the other.

I looked at Helm, and the vertical adjustment seems straightforward: a Phillips screwdriver down thru the inboard access holes on both sides.

I can see the horizontal mechanisms deep on the outboard sides, but Helm mentions their adjustment only on '99-00 models.

Has anyone had any practical experience with this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
261 Posts
In case you havent already know, the passenger-side light is always higher than the driver-side. This is to help driver to see road signs (usually on the right side) earlier.

Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abayez, I'm not sure that I agree with you. The light pattern of each light is like this:

Both headlights are set at the same height. It is the right hand flare in each pattern that helps illuminates road signs. Maybe this is what you meant.

[This message has been edited by sinbad (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of my headlights is pointed higher than the other also. It is apparent when I pull up to my garage door at night. I didn't know this was a "feature". I thought it was just sloppy. I hadn't noticed it on any other car I ever drove. As a matter of fact, for all of the specs I've seen for headlight adjustment, I haven't seen any that were different for the left vs. right. Hmmm...

I will look to see if the right is higher than the left or vice versa, and I'll report back.

sinbad, is it your right headlight that is pointed higher?

abyez, is this something you read in the owner's manual, or is this something a saleman described.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
FWIW, the Service Manual shows boths sides being adjusted to the same height with someone who weighs the same as the driver sitting in the driver's seat.

It also says, "If necessary, adjust the headlights to local requirements by turning the horizontal adjuster [99-00 models] and the vertical adjuster." So, that gives some leeway for "local requirements, whatever that means.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sometimes, our "local requirements" call for settin' 'em real high, for '**** huntin', Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
Both headlights are set at the same height. It is the right hand flare in each pattern that helps illuminates road signs. Maybe this is what you meant.</font>
Thats right! That was what I meant. I apologize if I had caused unnecessary confusion. Sorry.

------------------

·
Registered
910 Posts
So should both of the headlights be at the same height ? I asked Honda specifically to aim my headlights when I bought it in for check-up last time and it came back with the right side higher then the left.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
So should both of the headlights be at the same height ? I asked Honda specifically to aim my headlights when I bought it in for check-up last time and it came back with the right side higher then the left.

</font>
The manual says same height, but it allows for "local requirements."

IMHO, that means that a mechanic can align them to different heights.

So, the manual does not appear to give an absolute yes/no answer. Worth asking the mechanic - there may be a good reason for asymetric light alignment.

Regards,

Maugham

1 - 10 of 10 Posts