Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electric seat from a low mileage 08 that I'm installing in my LX. I already have figured out how to run power to them from underdash fuse panel #14 and 16 with 20A fuses. The slots are hot, and I'm using a piggyback fuse setup to make wiring easier.The only problem that I'm having now is verifying some of what the wires in the electric seat wiring are. I have identified the power wires for the 2 seat motors and for the seatbelt and seat sensors, as the airbag is a completely different set of wires. There are 6 wires of all the same color, and I'm assuming that they are ground wires, but want to make sure. I can't find but 2 in the wiring diagrams that I'm using from the AutoZone reference library. Are the 6 wires on the lower row of this seat plug all ground wires? Also, I'm having a dickens of a time in getting the wires out of the connector. I'd rather not cut and splice all of them, and would line to get them oout of the different connectors. The online videos show that it is easy just by sliding a thin tool into the center slot to pull back a plastic "finger" to slide the wire out. My daughter and I have tried that for quite a while, but to no avail. Any other secrets out there to do this easily?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I've figured out the wiring the old fashion way - trial and error with a jumper box. I was able to isolate which were ground wires for the 2 motors. The other 4 are grounds that are for the other sensors that are also in the non-electric seat. With that said, I still can't get the wires out of the connectors. I've used a dental pic, a thin screwdriver, a strong pin, a hair pin, and nothing seems to be able to back off the plastic nub in the connector that holds the female end in. Is there a special tool for this? As a last resort, I will cut and splice if I have to do that.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: was successful with the installation. Some problems along! One was that Honda is/was not consistent with wire colors. Wires changed color at each connector, and the wire colors for the seatbelt sensors were the same for the manual and electric seats. Another one was that I ran the motor with the SRS yellow connector disconnected as I was trying to figure out the other seat wiring. I knew not to do this, but in the "heat of the battle" I had a lapse in memory and did it. As soon as I did, I knew there was going to be a problem at the end, and there is;the SRS light is on. Now, to work on resetting that. I will clean out the seatbelt buckle sensor first, just in case there is junk in there because the electric seat sat out in a junked vehicle for some time. I know this because I found an abandoned bees nest underneath it. The seat works fine as I use the piggyback fuse setup from fuse box #14 and 16. It was easy to run my new wires along the original wiring harness, taping them as I went. I grounded the motors to the bast of the seat. I did order the tool that was suggested, but I got impatient and did some splicing instead. I used female/male connectors in case I had the wires wrong. This would facilitate swapping. As it was, my first try of wiring was right as the seatbelt buzzer worked and all shut off when the seatbelt was hooked in. On to the next project,and that is adding some USB ports for the second row seats.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Good job.

You might as well install a small inverter while you're at it.

I have something like this so I can use the AC "rapid charger" for my cell phone.

They cost next to nothing. <$20 for a couple of USB ports and some AC. Could be permanently mounted as long as it has air flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job.

You might as well install a small inverter while you're at it.

I have something like this so I can use the AC "rapid charger" for my cell phone.

They cost next to nothing. <$20 for a couple of USB ports and some AC. Could be permanently mounted as long as it has air flow.

Thanks for the info. Will look into doing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went by my local, independent Honda mechanic shop. Had them read and clear the SRS codes. One came back. The Driver Seat Position sensor code. Either I have the wires wrong, or the sensor is bad. I'm going to review and trace the wiring. My 20/20 hindsight is that I didn't need to cut and splice the position sensor connector (2 wire) or the seat belt buckle switch connector (3 wire). Had I unwrapped the under-seat wiring harness on the electric seat, I would have found that the 12 wire connector had these a connectors further down the harness. All I actually had to do was just plug the LX wire harness into those, and then run the hot wires from the fuse panel and ground wires for the motors. Like I said, hindsight is always 20/20! ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts