Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a couple of searches but can't find what I'm looking for. I'm a believer in mid-range oil changes (5-8k miles) if you run synthetic oil. When I bought our new '11 Odyssey, the salesman told me Honda put special additives in the break-in oil and I know this is true. However, he also told me that I needed to change the break-in oil at 3750 or it would harm the engine. Changing the oil at 3750 makes sense with conventional oil but I believe the 0w20 is synthetic and the owner's manual states not to change before the maintenance minder indicates it's time.

So they want me to schedule a 3750 mile or 90 day oil change. You're thinking that they just want me to pay for an oil change but I get two years or up to 8 oil changes for free so that's not it.

I honestly could go either way as they both make sense to me - change break-in oil after 3750 or wait as it's synthetic. I'm inclined to change it but I just want to make sure I'm not doing any harm or missing something. Has anyone else heard they need to change the break-oil at 3750?

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have about 1200 miles on my 2011 Ody, we will be leaving for Atlanta in a couple days. Last week I call my Honda service dept. and asked when I should have my 1st oil change. They said when it gets to 15 percent to have it changed. I told them I was going to Atlanta. It is about 750 miles. So I may put on the car about 1800 miles total for the trip. So when I get back I will have it changed. I also have free oil changes.

It says in the manual to use 0w20 oil like you said, but is it synthetic?

I know in the old days you had breakin oil and it needed to be changed after 1000/1500 miles. But I do not think that it the same today with these newer engine.

I have always had my oil changed at around 4000 miles but I have never used synthetic oil. It is said that you can go longer on oil changes. I know that there is a lot threads about this on the forum.

I google this: Truth about 5w-20 and 0W-20 Motor Oil - technical facts

Synthetic oil is more expensive, but is it worth it to change every 3500/4000 miles with synthetic oil? If you use synthetic oil can't you go longer 5000/7500/10000?

My 2011 Camry said every 5000 miles and I also have free oil changes for 2 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know in the old days you had breakin oil and it needed to be changed after 1000/1500 miles. But I do not think that it the same today with these newer engine.
I agree with this.

Synthetic oil is more expensive, but is it worth it to change every 3500/4000 miles with synthetic oil? If you use synthetic oil can't you go longer 5000/7500/10000?
I wouldn't change synthetic on @ 3500/4000. I currently go 8k on BMW synthetic (my BMW oil life computer tells me to go 16k but I just can't do it) and I'd go 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 in my Volvo.

Thanks for the link...very helpful. Still not 100 percent sure what to do but we did get nine years and 75k miles out of our '02 Odyssey and I changed that oil every 3750.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to be a big believer in oil changes every 3k but no longer. Several factors have caused me to extend my intervals.

1. Newer cars use less fuel and the chances of unburned fuel getting in the oil is greatly diminished.
2. Engine design along with better manufacturing results in much less engine wear and less metal in the oil.
3. Quality of the oils and additive packages has been continuously improved.
4. Numerous oil analysis of old oil often shows substantial life left in the oil even after 6 or 8 thousand miles. (there is good reading for anyone that is interested at bobistheoilguy.com.)

One other thing that I have noticed in newer cars is that antifreeze does not get dirty like it used to. When I looked at the antifreeze in a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan after 50 thousand miles it looked new with not a hint of contamination. This tells me that all the gaskets within the engine are keeping everything sealed up which also means the oil is not getting any contamination that would routinely happen years ago.

I changed the oil in my van at 5886 miles but it still showed 40% remaining. I changed it to Penzoil Platinum. Future oil changes will be with 10 to 20% of life remaining with the utmost confidence that oil does not need to be changed more often.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My dealer never said anything about early oil changes, I also get some free changes and plan on bringing it in when it goes to 15% or so. This is my first experience with percent issue. My '02 was mileage based and the check engine light would start blinking when it was due. That's what I went by.

I also agree that with improved engineering, metallurgy and oil technology, there is no reason to change the oil before the manufacturers recommendation. But, I don't do extended oil changes, even with synthetic, some would say that's a waste of cash, well okay, you do it, I'm not.

I not loyal to any brand or type, go to Walmart and I've probably used everything on the shelf at one time or another in a variety of vehicles. I do use synthetic in the winters because I feel the flow properties are better when cold than regular oil. Perhaps that's not the case but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First oil change mileage

My first Odyssey ('03) I changed the oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1. Most changes I used 5W-20 and some were 0W-20. At 135K miles the engine runs like new (and gets better mileage).

My new ('09) Ody I'm simply following the maintenance minder, which runs 6K-7.5K miles between changes. I still use Mobil 1.

Honda wants the break in oil to stay in the engine for one normal oil change interval. It's not a standard blend oil and is supposed to be in there to help with the break in process. Leave it in until the maintenance minder gets down to 5% or so. After that change when the oil life reading gets down to 5%-0%. The lubricated portions of the engine should outlast the rest of the car.

Side note: Purolator Pure One PL 14459 fit and have better filtration than the recommended PL 14610. Both are superior to the Honda branded filter. Those and Mobil 1 0W20 (now available at Wal Mart in 5 quart jugs for $23.50) will keep it running for a very long time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My first Odyssey ('03) I changed the oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1. Most changes I used 5W-20 and some were 0W-20. At 135K miles the engine runs like new (and gets better mileage).

My new ('09) Ody I'm simply following the maintenance minder, which runs 6K-7.5K miles between changes. I still use Mobil 1.

Honda wants the break in oil to stay in the engine for one normal oil change interval. It's not a standard blend oil and is supposed to be in there to help with the break in process. Leave it in until the maintenance minder gets down to 5% or so. After that change when the oil life reading gets down to 5%-0%. The lubricated portions of the engine should outlast the rest of the car.

Side note: Purolator Pure One PL 14459 fit and have better filtration than the recommended PL 14610. Both are superior to the Honda branded filter. Those and Mobil 1 0W20 (now available at Wal Mart in 5 quart jugs for $23.50) will keep it running for a very long time.
I have to decide what I want to do. I get two free oil changes from my dealer and they have a owner loyalty program where they will warranty the powertrain up to 100,000 miles as long as I have the oil changed and tires rotated by them. Taken at face value, it sounds good, but after doing the quick math, a Honda Care warranty would cost roughly the same and cover much more. Plus, I like to do my own maintenance and as long as I keep good records, the HC warranty should still stand (as far as I know).

What do you base your claim about filters on? I know there are some oil filter analysis out there but they are several years old. I like Wix / Napa Gold (same filter).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like to do my own maintenance and as long as I keep good records, the HC warranty should still stand (as far as I know).
In nine years of Odyssey ownership, I think we did one or two maintenance services at the dealer and everything else was at our trusted indy shops. Not once did any of the three dealerships we visited for warranty work question us. Of course I have an inch thick folder with our '02's service history.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Honda Care.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Purolator's own data claims better performance on small particle (20 micron) for the 14459 over the 14610. Honda filters are Fram with a blue case.

Point is that there are better filters than Honda factory issue. There are other good filters besides Purolator Pure One but the Purolator is easily available and relatively inexpensive. There's even a $3 rebate this month if you get them at Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

It's funny how much different the suggestions are from each dealer. I would think there would be a set number Honda would require them to tell you.

I just bought my '11 Ody 2 days ago and the dealer told me 7k miles before the first oil change and same interval thereafter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would think there would be a set number Honda would require them to tell you.
First of all, congrats on your new purchase! Welcome to the forum! One thing to keep in mind is take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Opinions run rampant. As you start reading the posts, you'll discover who's helpful and who has an axe to grind.

There probably is a set interval that Honda tells it's service advisors to use. And I'd guess that would be the factory service (and owner's) manual. However, the service department is still a business, and they've got to worry about meeting their overhead costs, pay their employees, and still turn a profit. I still see dealerships recommending 3 month or 3,000 mile oil changes. I questioned one once. The reply I got was that you can never be too careful. :huh: I asked about the interval in the owner's manual and the response I got was that it was a suggestion and that everyone should follow the severe schedule. When I said I don't qualify for the severe schedule the service manager then pulled it out and asked if I drove under any of the conditions listed. When I said yes, then he again said I should follow the severe schedule. Then I pointed out the section that said IF MOST of my driving is under the conditions listed, THEN follow the severe schedule. And ONLY about 20% of my driving was ever during the severe conditions. He then put the book away and again stood by the fact that I should still change it more frequently. This was also the same guy that said 5W-20 was too thin for my car. I told him the owner's manual AND the refill cap says to use 5W-20 and he balked at it saying Honda didn't know what they were doing. My point? Opinions are everywhere...

I just bought my '11 Ody 2 days ago and the dealer told me 7k miles before the first oil change and same interval thereafter.
I go by the Maintenance Minder. It takes into account various factors such as speed, temperatures, time, etc to calculate approximately how much usable life there is left in the oil. Even at 0%, there's still life in the oil. So you don't have to change your oil at 15%, 10%, or even 5%.

There is a ton of facts (and opinions, for that matter) available on the internet. Sure, read up on some of the opinions here, but go do your own research and come up with your own opinions.

Here's an opinion for ya... I worked for a transportation company about 10 years ago that had a fleet of Lincolns and Cadillacs. They all had well over 100K miles on them. Some over half a million miles. And a few over 700K miles. The buisness owner was cheap. He hardly did any maintenance on any of those cars. Oil changes varied from every 5K to every 30K miles. And all on the cheapest oil available at AutoZone. No synthetic. Mostly never a name brand. Not a single one of those cars ever had an engine failure. Not a single one. Sure, we lost alternators, brake calipers, a/c compressors. But never an engine. So my opinion? Follow your factory service manual on maintenance intervals.

I personally had a 13 year old GMC truck with 200K miles on it. Oil changes every 5K miles. And mostly only for the mere fact that it was easy to track it that way. 20K, 25K, 30K, 35K... Easy. When I finally sold that truck it was getting the same fuel economy as it did brand new, still had good compression in all the cylinders, and also never had an engine failure.

Everyone is trying to save gas. Most people forget to save oil. If it doesn't need to be changed, then don't.

·
Banned
727 Posts
I think this has been covered in another thread but, the owners manual states that the first oil change should not be done until the maintenance minder says to. That is what I will be doing. Enjoy your new van.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh, and I just crossed 7K miles this weekend and the Maintenance Minder says 20%. Given just this information, I should hit 0% around approximately 8,750 miles. That's when I'll be bringing it into the shop for the first oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I completely understand taking everything with a grain of salt. I have been part of other forums for several years.

While it is lack of integrity I understand that many dealers would tell you to change it more often. I beleived thisis the same for the folks that said it is not a money thing because they get X amount of free changes. This is still money. The fast they get you through the free ones, the faster they get you to start paying for them and you are used to the short intervals between changes.

Now that I think of it, they did mention the light. I think they said itis typically around the 7k mark. The conversation is clearing up a little now. I tried this with my Tahoe once and it went 15k before the light came on. I know it goes by several variables, but that is a little too many miles in my mind. I also understand the Honda and Chevy programming will be different as well so my van may never come close to this mark.

If you did strictly go by the light in your Ody and for example you were consistantly hitting the 15k mark and something happened becasue of an overdue oil change, do you think Honda would do all repairs because their light didn't turn on in time? This may be a bogus scenario, but it as at least worth a thought. Of course you still need to check it to make sure you have the right amount of oil.

I think if the light does not turn on by 8k-9k I will be changing regardless.:DD

·
Banned
727 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I completely understand taking everything with a grain of salt. I have been part of other forums for several years.

While it is lack of integrity I understand that many dealers would tell you to change it more often. I beleived thisis the same for the folks that said it is not a money thing because they get X amount of free changes. This is still money. The fast they get you through the free ones, the faster they get you to start paying for them and you are used to the short intervals between changes.

Now that I think of it, they did mention the light. I think they said itis typically around the 7k mark. The conversation is clearing up a little now. I tried this with my Tahoe once and it went 15k before the light came on. I know it goes by several variables, but that is a little too many miles in my mind. I also understand the Honda and Chevy programming will be different as well so my van may never come close to this mark.

If you did strictly go by the light in your Ody and for example you were consistantly hitting the 15k mark and something happened becasue of an overdue oil change, do you think Honda would do all repairs because their light didn't turn on in time? This may be a bogus scenario, but it as at least worth a thought. Of course you still need to check it to make sure you have the right amount of oil.

I think if the light does not turn on by 8k-9k I will be changing regardless.:DD
Of course you can do as you like, but remember there are modified friction components in the break in engine oil and I think Honda makes a statement about waiting (in the owners manual) for a reason.

I think there is a natural tendency of some to think that frequent oil changes will result in cleaner oil, less wear on the engine and longer engine life. Plus, somehow it just seems to make us feel better when we put clean oil in the engine and take the old stuff out.

If Honda didn't make the statement in the manual, I'd be inclined to change early too, but not at the expense of improperly seated engine parts due to an early oil change.

Anyway, enjoy your new van. :)

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
I'm all in favor of going with the MM. However, there's at least one factor it ignores: parked time. So, watch the MM but also use your judgement. How many people have driven into trouble just because their GPS told them to...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a Touring yesterday and the few miles I have driven the van I am happy.

Owning a Ridgeline a couple years ago a question came up about following the computer for maintenance. If you change your oil early, does this have an adverse effect on the future maintenance? I guess if you do the first oil change before the oil % is at 10-15%, will this alter the timing of a B or C maintenance?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My 15% indicator came on just over 7,100 miles. At this rate, I'll be down to 0% at around 8,300 miles. I plan on waiting until I get to 0% before I do my first oil change.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with this.

I wouldn't change synthetic on @ 3500/4000. I currently go 8k on BMW synthetic (my BMW oil life computer tells me to go 16k but I just can't do it) and I'd go 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 in my Volvo.

Thanks for the link...very helpful. Still not 100 percent sure what to do but we did get nine years and 75k miles out of our '02 Odyssey and I changed that oil every 3750.
You are only supposed to go 7,500 miles on Mobil 1 if it's the extended interval 7,500 Mobil 1. I wouldn't go that far on the regular mobil 1. I use Mobil 1 in my Vette, since it's the factory fill/recommended. I only change it once a year. But I only go about 3k miles a yr on it if that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts