Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase the EX with the I-VES..They want 1933.00 for the IVES installed at the Honda dealer and I see that handa-accessories.com now has it for around 1100 including the playstation 2..My question is has any one order this and installed it themselves and was it a pain to do..Should I just shell out the few hundrd more and let honda deal with it or is it easy enough to put in myself...Thanks in advance..Karen

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've read the ives install instructions and I have installed an aftermarket system myself. It looks like installing the ives would be a LOT EASIER than installing an aftermarket system, which wasn't that bad, actually. If they are charging you $833 for the install (without the playstation), they are making about $300 per hour assuming its a three hour job or $200 an hour assuming a four hour job. I bet it could be done in 2 1/2 hours by someone with experience. Seems pretty expensive to me

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Dashtopper, Zaino'd

·
Registered
63 Posts
shareef is right for that amount might as well get an EX-RES, the $1900++ cost must be $250 for labor and $1650++ for the I-VES(dealer cost). But if you're still in terested in the I-VES just order thru the internet and get the PS2 and even if you want the service dept of your dealer to install it you might still be able to save yourself around $300. Remember they'll still give you a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on the I-VES because its a Honda Equipment and installed by a Honda dealer. Good luck

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I just this morning saw a flyer down at my dealer. They're offering that if you buy i-VES and subwoofer, they'll throw in the PlayStation 2 for free.

Their total cost for everything installed is $1900 or so.

Aside from i-VES being an ugly black wart up front, maybe that's an OK deal.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoGiantsfan11:
My question is has any one order this and installed it themselves and was it a pain to do..Should I just shell out the few hundrd more and let honda deal with it or is it easy enough to put in myself...Thanks in advance..Karen</font>
Karen,

This question is something many grapple with. Did you download the PDF installation instruction from HandA? If you read through that, you can get a VERY good idea how easy/hard this install is. I'd say that for a video system, this one is easy, but if you've never worked on automotive electronics or inside a car, it could be a little tough. The other thing is how much is your time worth, and/or do you just enjoy being a DIYer? Some people just want to pay a reasonable price and have it done. Others want the satisfaction of having done it themselves. Some things to consider.

A few on this forum have done the install themselves, so support shouldn't be far if you decided to tackle this one....

p.s.- labor rates vary dealership to dealership, so check rates, but John's right; it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours by an experienced person to do this job.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just found out that if you go after market, the warranty on the odyssey (wires and electrical) is void. I haven't asked the dealer but found out from a friend. It makes sense, but is this true?

------------------
'93 Chevrolet Blazer
'94 Nissan Sentra
'02 Honda TW Odyssey (soon)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikendana:
I just found out that if you go after market, the warranty on the odyssey (wires and electrical) is void. I haven't asked the dealer but found out from a friend. It makes sense, but is this true?

</font>
No, not true. This has been discussed alot. In fact, there are laws regarding this. Search the warranty section for more info on this.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoGiantsfan11:
I am looking to purchase the EX with the I-VES..They want 1933.00 for the IVES installed at the Honda dealer </font>
We wrestled with the whole IVES vs. Factory-installed DVD vs. Aftermarket. We didn't want the IVES because most of the movies we have now are DVD's not videos. The only way to get the factory-installed DVD is to get the EX-L and pay for the heated leather seats. We ended up going the aftermarket route.

We bought a Panasonic package from Tweeter. Tweeter is a Panasonic approved dealer/installer. It was $1299 + $200 for installation + $100 for FM Modulator + tax.

We are very happy with it. Just thought I would throw another option into your decision. We are pretty un-handy so DIY was not an option for us.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Warranty won't be void, but....

If something that you wire causes other problems (i.e. you overload a circuit and fry your fuse box) then you're on your own.

Just gotta be careful.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts