Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love all the information in this forum!

I have a new 2011 Touring (Silver - like my last three Odysseys!). Finally, a sane way to interface my iPhone with the van's audio system! Except for this issue that is puzzling me:

Is there a way to disable the Bluetooth audio profile? The problem is that, even when my iPhone is connected via the USB input in the glove box, is that the Bluetooth HandsFreeLink connection seems to "grab" the iPhone output, and the only way to get it back to the USB output is to take the phone out of the glove box, launch the iPod, then select a pop up to switch from HandsFreeLink back to USB out. This is a pain, and requires pulling over, etc.

My preference is definitely for the USB connection, as it allows for better control of the iPod/iPhone from the van's audio interface.

Is there any workaround for this, either on the iPhone or in the van?

Thanks for any insight!

-Barry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the exact same issue. I just drove from Boston to Fort Wayne, IN and it happened over and over. If any one has any help on this, I would appreciate too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just turn the bluetooth off on the iphone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, but if we turn off the Bluetooth on the iPhone, then we can't place or receive phone calls, which is the major reason to have the HandsFreeLink in the first place!

-B

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think it just says Bluetooth for some reason. It's actually connected via USB and you can see the USB symbol on the audio screen.

Out of curiosity, when connecting via Bluetooth, are you experiencing the three second delay problem (try watching a video over Bluetooth to see if the audio is out of sync)?

Also, are you getting a lot of skipping over iPhone USB? I didn't think I was getting an unusual amount at first, but tonight there was at least one skip in every song.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have gotten some skipping. Not too bad though. Some of it I'm wondering if is due to the quality the music and how it is ripped. I do not experience the delay too bad (not 3 seconds).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi boulder_bum --

I don't think it's just a labeling problem - because what is happening is that I get *no* audio through the USB connection (it is connected, and charging my phone, and I can even control my phone, which is why the symbol shows up). The problem is really on the *phone* side, where the iPhone is directing the audio out to the Bluetooth HandsFreeLink connection and not to USB.

This becomes a problem that I hope folks in this forum can shed light on because I think it is the Odyssey that keeps telling my phone to send it Bluetooth audio, and the phone just goes along with it.

Can't speak to the delay problem - I've never tried to watch a video on my phone with the audio over the van's stereo. But if I can give it a shot, I'll let you know what I observe!

Thanks,

-B

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue with my new '11 EX-L Nav. I have tried a few things and have concluded that the sound is definitely being redirected over BT-Audio but I don't know what is causing the redirect. Experiments:
- Connect iPhone through USB (no BT) and start audio playback. No problems. I do hear a few skips here and there but I'm assuming that is a different issue.
- Turn on BT on the iPhone. It connects to the van and immediately the audio is 'gone.' I can still control the iPhone through the van menus but no audio.
- I switch from USB to Aux audio which is BT Audio and I get the sound back from the iPhone. I can even switch the van back to USB and change the song (no sound back in this mode) and switch it back to AUX and get the new song.
- When audio is playing through BT and I open the iPOD app I can see at the bottom that it is playing through BT through a notice. That notice is not there when it is playing through USB.
- I turn off BT on the iphone and disconnect/reconnect my phone and I get USB audio again.

I can't find a way to turn off BT audio on the iPhone. I want to use both phone over BT and music over USB and based on the manual this should work but it is clearly not working correctly. Has anyone found a way around this problem? Has anyone spoken with a Honda rep on this topic?

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a EX-L w/RES, and I've been able to have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth & USB without any conflicts. I'm able to listen to music via USB, & take/make calls via Bluetooth. Maybe this issue is specific to the NAV?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the Touring (with nav) and I don't have the issue.

Occasionally I'll need to restart my iPhone, however. Did you guys try that?

I mean hold down the "Home" and "Sleep" button down at the same time for about 5 seconds and either turn it off when prompted and hold the same buttons to turn it back on, or keep holding both buttons down to do a hard reset (which won't reset your information, but does some sort of memory check on startup).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up new Touring with Navi and have the same problem. USB setting allows song selection, but no audio. Must then switch to bluetooth audio and click resume to hear the music. Has anyone solved this? How does one report to Honda?

Experimenting and I see that if I connect another phone or iPad via bluetooth via the phone setup, then the iPhone 4 connected via USB plays correctly on the USB input (while remaining bluetooth connected as an available phone). But if you don't have a second bluetooth device connected and thereby occupying the bluetooth audio input, then the iPhone 4 connected via USB will only play to the bluetooth audio input (silent when switched to USB input). Does that suggest a solution to the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been doing some research on this issue. This appears to be an iPhone issue vs. a van issue. It appears in mid '09 when Apple released one of their 3.x updates that enabled A2DP BT profile this usage problem appeared. The A2DP profile enables the audio streaming and for some reason Apple decided that this profile would always take priority over USB (docking) even when the user plugs in the USB cable. This causes the cut over to BT when you are using USB. Below are a few links to the issue and if you search on it there are many more. There is no way to disable A2DP support easily on the iPhone unless you jailbreak the phone 1st which is in the last link below. One person did list a few things that worked for them (without jailbreaking) in one of the discussion links below which I will give a try soon.

Forum Discussions on A2DP Issue
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2501987
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2051324&tstart=0

Disable A2DP
http://blog.ramondeklein.nl/index.php/2009/07/31/howto-disable-a2dp-on-the-iphone/

·
Registered
157 Posts
I still can't reproduce the issue. My iPhone 4s (iOS 4.2.1) work over USB just fine for me. Maybe you guys have Bluetooth audio going to the rear source and it's taking precedence over the USB front source?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try this...

I've done this on my Touring Elite numerous times without fail.

Start the car without the USB connected. Wait til the bluetooth connects, and then connect the USB. Now you have both phone and audio over USB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iPhone Bluetooth vs USB

I can verify befree112's experience. iPhone audio defaults to the most recent connection. I've had to make my habit:

-Pair Bluetooth
THEN
-Plug-In/Dock My iPhone

Do this, and you should not experience any problems in the future.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am also seeing this problem in my EX-L, it's annoying! I'll try the sequence most have suggested but I like getting everything situated before I start the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just bought a 2012 TE (should be delivered to my driveway any minute). This thread has been pretty quiet recently. Anyone who wrote in before wish to comment on their current experience? From the thread, it seems like connecting via BT and then connectnig USB is the way to go for trips long enough to fiddle with the cable. Is this the best scenario, or are there some iPhone software adjustments?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bumping this old thread. I recently upgraded to the iphone 5 and it seems this problem has gone away. I can now plug in my iphone 5 into the USB connector before starting the car. Once I start the car it will pick up audio from my phone via the USB connector. It also pairs the phone via bluetooth in the background and I can make / receive calls over Bluetooth. I'm unsure what has "fixed" the problem, perhaps the hardware, ios 6 or maybe the new lightning USB connector? I have an '11 EX-L.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts