Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Ody.
150 k miles.
Michelin Defender tires with 5/32 remaining.
Planning to keep the vehicle.

One of the tires was losing air. Went to Costco. They said it had a puncture in the sidewall area so was not repairable. They suggested putting 2 tires on. I had them put the temp spare on until I can figure out what to do.

I generally like to do tires in 4's rather than 2's. That said, there is some life left in these tires at 5/32. So options include:
1) 4 New tires
2) 2 New tires
3) 1 Used tire??? I've never done that before. But could buy some extra time. I know the tread depth would need to roughly match. Would it also need to be a Michelin Defender tire?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This happened to me before on my old ody. I tried the 1 used tire. Bad idea. It messed up other tires. Then what I did was to get 2 walmart cheaper, softer tires. So, replace 1 tire with cheaper new tire from walmart or sears. Suggesting softer so that it wears out sooner and it might even match others when close to 2/32 ....

As for the tread pattern, it is supposed to be the same for 2 tires on 1 axle. But defenders are non-directional and those walmart tires are pretty close.

The used tires were $30. It looked ok but somehow balancing was off. You might end up with bunch of extra work.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Replacing just 2 tires is definitely a viable option, but you would not be able to rotate them to the other axle. So that makes this only a short-term option.

Since you are planning to keep the van, I would go all the way with a set of 4 new tires.

What's the manufacture date on the tires? They are considered expired at about 7 years. If close to that, they have less life left than the tread wear would indicate.

You may succeed in recovering some of the cost by selling the old tires.

Dave

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Maybe it's just because I think almost anything is possible if you do it right, I'll say that any of the 3 options can be made to work well. I've done them all.

For option 3, just make sure you get a quality single used tire, not a craigslist freebie.

·
Registered
452 Posts
With 5/32 left. NO brainier. Buy 4 new Michelin's at Costco. You should ask them, when is there next sale.
Cannot beat the price. If the sale is in a coupe of weeks, wait. If not, pay the extra $100+. And be gone. :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
+1 for 4 new tires. Maybe you live where it never rains or snows, but 5/32 is my personal limit. Too much lost traction on wet or snow covered roads. If none of that applies to you then you just got your next tire purchased pushed up a bit, but not by that much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would replace all 4 tires. I bought at Costco and asked to use Michelins since that is what I had been using. They recommended Bridgestone for the Odyssey which also were about $100 less. In the end I did go with the Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422+ Grand Touring A/S with the 70,000 Mile Warranty. They actually run smoother and quieter than the Michelins. Make sure to have them rotated (free) every 5,000 miles. Vans are tough on front tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
legend700
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing