Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat in an '11 and noticed I didn't get an option of lower gears to manually select. There was just 'drive'. What does one do in the mountains? Last summer we were in a remote part of WV with a 15% grade and I downshifted and stayed in 1 & 2 most of way down without burning out my brakes. What's the solution now?

·
Banned
728 Posts
lori_cohen said:
Sat in an '11 and noticed I didn't get an option of lower gears to manually select. There was just 'drive'. What does one do in the mountains? Last summer we were in a remote part of WV with a 15% grade and I downshifted and stayed in 1 & 2 most of way down without burning out my brakes. What's the solution now?
On the way up, let the transmission select the correct gear. On the way down, use the brakes.

Or, buy a 2011 Sienna.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm surprised that they got rid of shift selection like the previous gen Ody'.

As shazzam mentioned, if you need it get a Sienna. It still has the select a gear like the old Ody and also has a fake tiptronic mode as well so you can manually shift every gear.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think gear L uses the first and second gear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There's a button on the side of the shifter to lock out the top 2 gears. From the owner's manual:

Drive (D)
Use this position for normal driving. The transmission automatically selects a suitable gear for your speed and acceleration.

Except Touring models
Drive (D3)
To use D3, press the D3 button when the shift lever is in the ‘‘D’’ position. This position is similar to D, except only the first three gears are selected instead of all five. Use D3 when towing a trailer in hilly terrain, or to provide engine braking when going down a steep hill. D3 can also keep the transmission from cycling between third and fourth gears in stop-and-go driving.

On Touring models
Drive (D4)
To use D4, press the D4 button when the shift lever is in the ‘‘D’’ position. This position is similar to D, except only the first four gears are selected instead of all six. Use D4 when towing a trailer in hilly terrain, or to provide engine braking when going down a steep hill. D4 can also keep the transmission from cycling between fourth and fifth gears in stop-and-go driving.

Low (L)
To shift to Low, press the release button on the front of the shift lever. Use Low to make better use of engine power when climbing, and for maximum engine braking when going down steep hills.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, hasenpfeffer, that was a big help. I did a quick net search but didn't find that specific info. I guess I can go down hills now. Next, I need to figure out how not to bottom out on neighborhood brick streets. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nembree, I don't have an '11 so I don't have an owner's manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts