Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the Backup-Sensor Option, do they interface with the MID at all?

Reviewing the owners manual - the parking sensor system would as it has an indicator for all 4 corners. Does the Backup-Sensor show indicators for the rear or does it have no visual cues and beeping only?

Thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
All four corners and two in the mid rear bumper. I get audio warnings as well as visual warnings. The visual appears on the corners of the little vehicle outline midday that also shows when a door is open. A similar symbol appears on the trip computer display. When the back up camera is on I see three lines of varying color depending on proximity of obstruction which appear at bottom of back up display.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nope. 2011 EXL Res. For reasons unknown this model includes sensors in Canada but if I understand correctly, not in the US model. No navigation system but back up camera, DVD system and trip computer. Seeing as I managed to hit 3 parked vehicles in the past 5 years I am rather pleased to no longer have an excuse for stupidity.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nope. 2011 EXL Res. For reasons unknown this model includes sensors in Canada but if I understand correctly, not in the US model. No navigation system but back up camera, DVD system and trip computer. Seeing as I managed to hit 3 parked vehicles in the past 5 years I am rather pleased to no longer have an excuse for stupidity.
IIRC canadian EXl res is equivalent to touring here in the US.

Strike, have you tried to compute everything you want to add on your EXL nav? I asked because it 'may' be more economical for you to wait in about a year and trade it for touring or if you want a touring elite. Isn't it the price for the EXL nav is nearing the touring's price-- so why go the route of installing/buying the parts/labor?

Think about it. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, in hind sight I should of just gotten a TE but when you drive a new car off the lot, not much you can do. :( The more research I am doing, the less feasible it seems to do retrofitting because the Honda parts are so expensive for everything!

Long as I can get a nice HID setup and a parking sensor setup for <2k I still would feel ahead as I don't have too much use for the RES.

The HID system is figured out, you pretty much nailed on how its done. ;)

Now if there is good aftermarket parking sensors or blind spot sensors I will be set. Any advice there?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ah yes, in hind sight I should of just gotten a TE but when you drive a new car off the lot, not much you can do. :( The more research I am doing, the less feasible it seems to do retrofitting because the Honda parts are so expensive for everything!

Long as I can get a nice HID setup and a parking sensor setup for <2k I still would feel ahead as I don't have too much use for the RES.

The HID system is figured out, you pretty much nailed on how its done. ;)

Now if there is good aftermarket parking sensors or blind spot sensors I will be set. Any advice there?

hey strike, <2K I think is achievable. :)

I'm actually going OEM for back-up sensor. remember that they are drilling hole in your bumper-- for that I want the dealer to do it. I still have to check my wife if she wants a new van after 3 years.. hehe. I believe I saw couple of threads about the back-up sensor (before) and they are saying its less than $500.00.

BTW, are you doing the HID retro? let us know if you are going for a bi-xenon.. I want to update mine-- yeah I'm lighting freak. lol's

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Backup sensor is not as good as the parking sensor because Backup sensor is only good for rear while with the Parking Sensor you have the front coverage as well.
The backup sensor kit itself is around 330. Maybe cost 500 in total to have Honda install it?
2011-2012 Honda Odyssey Accessories - Genuine Honda Odyssey Accessories Shipped at Discount Prices

For my lighting setup I will be doing exactly:

1 x Pair: TSX-R clear lenses
1 x Pair: Acura TL projectors (2010+)
1 x Pair: Morimoto 3Five D2S Ballasts
1 x Pair: Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs
1 x Pc: H11 HD Relay Harness
1 x Pair: Morimoto 3Five AMP ballasts

Will be installing fog lamps and replacing the stock Halogens with the 5K HID Component kit.

I will also replace the incandescent lights inside with LEDs.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/aftermarket/odyssey/odyledkit.jpg

I am also thinking about the interior lighting kit at some point:
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/odyssey/2011/interiorillumination.jpg

Opted not to go Bi-Xenon because I rarely need to use high beams and the install will be much easier if I go low beam only. It was a tough decision to go with Phillips instead of Osrams. I went with Phillips because the lead time on the Osrams are too long and the extra savings will let me know HID kit up my other cars.

Glad I have someone to talk to - not much interest it seems in modding Odysseys. Maybe I should of gotten a CRX instead and strap the car seats in the trunk. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
The backup sensor isn't hard to install, just takes some time. And don't be afraid of the drilling, just get the right sized bits! When you take the bumper cover off, there are marks on the inside which shows you where to cut/drill. I think the hardest part for all this was taking the interior panels off. That huge driver's side rear panel is a pain! But, it goes back in rather easily.

I'm just guessing, but isn't the touring about $4,000 more and the touring elite about $6,000 more than the EX-L?

·
Registered
884 Posts
IIRC canadian EXl res is equivalent to touring here in the US.

Strike, have you tried to compute everything you want to add on your EXL nav? I asked because it 'may' be more economical for you to wait in about a year and trade it for touring or if you want a touring elite. Isn't it the price for the EXL nav is nearing the touring's price-- so why go the route of installing/buying the parts/labor?

Think about it. :)
I thought the Touring had both the navigation system and the entertainment system while with the 2011 EXL you could order either but not both.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I thought the Touring had both the navigation system and the entertainment system while with the 2011 EXL you could order either but not both.
Yup, The Canadian EX-L is more of a US spec EX-L Plus, but not a Touring :p

The trims are all messed up for the NAFTA region. Mexico only sells the LX, EX-L and Touring, and if you look closely, they are not the same as the ones in the US or Canada (i.e. the EX-L does not have sunroof)

Oh well

·
Registered
884 Posts
Must be challenging in the Alabama plant on a Monday morning. Do we put the "Touring" emblem on this one or that one boss.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Really wonder why all the complexity - honda tries to make the packaging straight-forward by having a couple of different packages, then mixes things up among the packages for different regions. Doesn't that defeat the purpose (streamlined and low cost assembly)? Seems pretty wonky to me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm sure there's a method to their madness. If I understand BigBoat, the EXLs without sunroofs go south to Mexico and those with sunroofs go north to Canada. Hmmmmmm. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
EX-L here in PA has the hole in the roof....

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Really wonder why all the complexity - honda tries to make the packaging straight-forward by having a couple of different packages, then mixes things up among the packages for different regions. Doesn't that defeat the purpose (streamlined and low cost assembly)? Seems pretty wonky to me.
I guess it is more efficient nowadays so they can do the tricky stuff. I even think that they have a separate production line for the Canadian ones or something like that, for example, the gauges and instrument panel have also some differences (km/hr vs mph, F vs C readings, parking sensor indicators for the EX-L, etc.) Anyway, It is not particular to Honda, at least these guys keep the naming convention.

I just noted the Touring does not have Navigation, so they put the 2012 EX/EX-L center display in the Tourings :huh:

Honda Autos | Odyssey

those with sunroofs go north to Canada. Hmmmmmm. :)
And the US (or at least in Pennsylvania, I also have a US PA EX-L spec model :stupid:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Boat - Where are u? I thought I read you were in Canada, but you have US as your location? I must have misread....

·
Registered
884 Posts
On the issue of sensors I've been meaning to check whether I can make contact with an object on the center of the front bumper without activating either of the front sensors. Certainly not possible in the rear with the center sensors but I wouldn't be surprised if I could make contact on the front.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts