Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pre-owned 2009 Odyssey LX with 15k miles about 2 weeks ago. I've put about 600 miles on it.

I've noticed that in some instances, the last downshift (presumably 3-2) can be rough. It kind of clunks. Actually, it seems like a two part deal, like a light clunk, then a heavier one...all under a second. Almost feels like it frees up a little (like pushing a clutch in a manual) then it thumps into a lower gear. Doesn't seem normal to me, but all my other vehicles are manuals, and it's been a while since I had an automatic.

It doesn't do this all the time either. Seems like it has a tendency to do this under medium braking, when coming from a fairly high rate of speed to a stop. For example, braking from 60 at a stop light would be a likely situation for this to occur. Upshifts are smooth, and the rest of the shifting is smooth in general. Just these quirky specific downshifts occaisionally.

My question is, anyone else get this? I have ready alot on this sight, and have seen a few threads on similar feeling, and some have said it's normal for a Honda, and others threw out suggestions, but most of the threads stop without a firm conclusion as to what is going on.

I haven't been able to really test to see if it only does it downhill (grade logic?). In fact, i haven't had time to play around with it much at all. Open to all input on this.

The dealer dumped refilled the tranny fluid with Honda fluid of course, right before I bought it. It's a very pleasant drive otherwise. I like the upshifting, and the engine is nice and smooth. Power steering isn't, but thats for another thread :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The shifting seems normal. My '09 does something like what you're describing too and at first I was concerned, now I'm pretty sure it's the grade logic kicking the transmission down and keeping the torque converter locked to use engine assisted braking.

There's a recall out there for hard steering at low speed. The dealers won't do any work on it until they confirm the problem first. Check the recall and TSB thread at the top of this forum, I'm pretty sure the number is in there. Your dealer should be able to look it up in any case.

Edit: here's the TSB for the power steering, I'm almost positive it's a full recall now though: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A10-076.PDF

·
Registered
288 Posts
Where is MTPockets08, the resident expert on all things LX (3rd Gen), when we need him? He'll have a good answer I'm sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a similar issue with my 2010 EX. Finally brought it in to get the power steering recall done and the service advisor able to duplicate the issue and contacted Honda about it. The answer he got back was "normal operating characteristic"... he did offer his guess that's the issue is with the motor mount, but not much they can do due to Honda's response. Not too terrible worried since it still have 5 yrs on before the power train warranty runs out (it was a certified Honda used car) and they already documented the issue. It's definitely not present on the other 2nd gen Odyssey I have driven before though.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Where is MTPockets08, the resident expert on all things LX (3rd Gen), when we need him? He'll have a good answer I'm sure!
I just blushed a little..:redface:. Thanks! But I'm hardly an expert.

In regards to feeling every up and down shift, that's a feature of Honda automatics in these vans. You'll get used to it.

Did you purchase from a Honda dealer? You can definitely confirm they used Honda ATF?

Joel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Untill you mentioned they changed the fluid I'd sugessted to change the fluid, some lesser fluids without proper friction modifiers can cause this exactly. If they did use Honda, I'd still recommend to drain it (save) and refill with another Brand Synthetic , Valvoline is a comman choice on here (1gal) is lots to swap

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts