Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how ya doing everyone? :);) hope Irene did not bury your Ody underwater.. :DD

anyway, I noticed this before but decided to post this on a dedicated (other) lighting forum bUT answer were not clear 'coz nobody knows '11 ody lighting yet..

so I installed an HID kit (35W @5000K) the light is really an improvement-- looks OEM actually but I have this 2 peaks OUTSIDE of the cut-off (others term it as step-up light)-- tho this scenario is based on a OEM HID projector NOT what we have-- (we have halogen projector)

this is picture probably 25-30 ft away from the wall and you can see the 2 peaks I'm talking about on the very far left and right.

close-up of the "step-up"

more close-up on wall

SO, anybody who installed an HID kit have this? I'm thinking that maybe I mis-installed the bulb-- don't know if that even possible?:rollingeyes:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or maybe someone who has TOuring elite can share some light output pics. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
banswee, those small "artifacts" of light outside of the regular beam (above the center of the beams) are like blinding lasers to other drivers, at least as far as what friends have told me (they're patrol officers, and are more often pulling people over and ticketing them for this). The lighting shooting off to the sides do the same as well, and are real "cop magnets" these days.

This is a consequence of using an HID (gas discharge bulb) inside a projector that was designed for an incandescent bulb (resistive filament). The two don't mix, at least according to my LEO friends.

There's nothing you can do about it other than install proper projectors that were purpose-built for HID bulbs. Halogen projectors are a no-go with HID bulbs.

Guys I've talked to in So Cal say these plug and play kits aren't too common (relative to the sheer amount of vehicles on the road), but they give out, on average, about two citations each night (they're pretty expensive tickets, too...must be the economy). If it's a case of really blinding light, they make the driver park it and call for a ride home, and allow them to pick up their vehicle and drive it home after sunrise as long as they don't use the headlights at all. The police are only responding to numerous complaints from other drivers via phone or otherwise. All it takes is one guy blinding a couple thousand people in the course of a simple nighttime drive on freeways in L.A. or Orange County to achieve that result.

I wish the news was better. I bought a pair of used OEM headlights and am looking at the FX-R HID projector kit from TRS as a solution.

TRS Website

Note that there are no stray "artifacts" (or whatever engineers call stray light emissions) in the customer pics. These are true HID projectors, and they're not cheap.

According to the police, "plug-and-play" HID kits installed in halogen headlamps (projector or otherwise) are not legal. The NHTSA has the same opinion, too (they follow FMVSS 108, a body of laws making up safety standards for motor vehicles in the U.S.).

OF

·
Registered
86 Posts
Point them a few degrees lower to minimize the possibility of blinding other cars or pedestrians and you'll probably be just fine. As long as you're running 35W, you probably won't get noticed since so many cars (even Hyundai/Kia) have them as factory equipment. Of course there's a risk of getting pulled over but you can take your chances. Even a retrofit a car with the correct HID projectors may not even be legal (have to read the standard to make sure) so everyone doing it is gambling except touring elite owners...

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Point them a few degrees lower to minimize the possibility of blinding other cars or pedestrians and you'll probably be just fine. As long as you're running 35W, you probably won't get noticed ...
I wish that was the case. We tried canting the halogen projector on a friend's Chevy (with a "plug-n-play" HID kit) to no good result. Stock halogen projectors or reflectors put stray light everywhere.

The really weird part is that you can't really tell, even when facing a wall, from the driver's perspective just how much stray light is beaming off in odd directions. The only way is to park it on a level road and have somebody walk off a few car lengths. It's amazing how bad these things are compared to a real, purpose-built HID setup (OEM or retrofit) with HID projectors to collect the light from a D2S-type bulb.

...Even a retrofit a car with the correct HID projectors may not even be legal (have to read the standard to make sure) so everyone doing it is gambling except touring elite owners...
This is true, in a sense. You have to use DOT-compliant projectors, which would be "correct". A couple ebay-based companies have already been forced to buy back their sales of inexpensive "HID retro kits" because they tried to be sneaky and put a "DOT" sticker on their halogen projectors, then marketed them as true HID. There is no free lunch. True HID projectors fitted with a proper collector are pricey, but they work.

The word here is "compliant". When you see a "DOT" sticker on anything (helmet, lighting, glazing, etc.), all it means is that the maker is making the assertion that his product complies with the appropriate FMVSS. The U.S. DOT does not "approve" anything for use or installation. However, if a consumer registers a complaint that a company is selling non-compliant gear for installation on vehicles in the U.S., and the complaint is deemed to have merit, man-oh-man do the Feds go after said company like a fat lady after the last drumstick at the picnic.

So far, it seems TRS is the one marketer that has a lock on properly assembled and DOT-compliant kits, but you'll pay up to 10 times more for their well-engineered items than you would for a completely non-compliant "plug-n-play HID" kit. As well, it seems they have a real customer service presence (including an installation department that actually works on real cars) to back things up; this is in direct contrast to most of the the "plug-n-play HID" companies.

Drive safe, citizens.

OF

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I wish that was the case. We tried canting the halogen projector on a friend's Chevy (with a "plug-n-play" HID kit) to no good result. Stock halogen projectors or reflectors put stray light everywhere.

The really weird part is that you can't really tell, even when facing a wall, from the driver's perspective just how much stray light is beaming off in odd directions. The only way is to park it on a level road and have somebody walk off a few car lengths. It's amazing how bad these things are compared to a real, purpose-built HID setup (OEM or retrofit) with HID projectors to collect the light from a D2S-type bulb.

This is true, in a sense. You have to use DOT-compliant projectors, which would be "correct". A couple ebay-based companies have already been forced to buy back their sales of inexpensive "HID retro kits" because they tried to be sneaky and put a "DOT" sticker on their halogen projectors, then marketed them as true HID. There is no free lunch. True HID projectors fitted with a proper collector are pricey, but they work.

The word here is "compliant". When you see a "DOT" sticker on anything (helmet, lighting, glazing, etc.), all it means is that the maker is making the assertion that his product complies with the appropriate FMVSS. The U.S. DOT does not "approve" anything for use or installation. However, if a consumer registers a complaint that a company is selling non-compliant gear for installation on vehicles in the U.S., and the complaint is deemed to have merit, man-oh-man do the Feds go after said company like a fat lady after the last drumstick at the picnic.

So far, it seems TRS is the one marketer that has a lock on properly assembled and DOT-compliant kits, but you'll pay up to 10 times more for their well-engineered items than you would for a completely non-compliant "plug-n-play HID" kit. As well, it seems they have a real customer service presence (including an installation department that actually works on real cars) to back things up; this is in direct contrast to most of the the "plug-n-play HID" companies.

Drive safe, citizens.

OF

thanks for the concern. I know exactly what your saying-- I'm a registered user on "theretrofit source"-- and have read a lot. I'm NOT going to argue anything you said-- it all comes down to whatever the person is comfortable with and what he thinks is "right"/safe.

see this pics of really bad PnP kits below and check mine

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a minute I thought that you could separately purchase the OEM projectors for the Touring Elite and swap them on the lower trims but, if I interpret the assemblies correctly in the links below, you may need to buy the whole unit :sicl:

HEADLIGHT. Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey TOURING (ELITE) | Sons Honda

HEADLIGHT. Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey TOURING | Sons Honda

BIgboat-- thanks! (ur the source of links here at odyclub) :cool:

YUP. you have to buy the whole headlight assembly-- I actually talked to dealers about getting one but kinda pricey..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Point them a few degrees lower to minimize the possibility of blinding other cars or pedestrians and you'll probably be just fine. As long as you're running 35W, you probably won't get noticed since so many cars (even Hyundai/Kia) have them as factory equipment. Of course there's a risk of getting pulled over but you can take your chances. Even a retrofit a car with the correct HID projectors may not even be legal (have to read the standard to make sure) so everyone doing it is gambling except touring elite owners...

hey bm, I don't need to-- it's actually low even on stock halogens. haha!

GUYS, all I really want is your PICTURES (light output) whether its a PnP kit or better yet an elite owner can share some pics.

I'm just really curious why I have those "step-up" lights on both side.. from some HID guru they told me that its a combination of "right-hand-drive and left-hand drive projectors" vehicle. :rollingeyes:

thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
The cutoff you have is very similar to what I see in my OEM HIDs. I think it looks pretty damn close to OEM. I also see a peak in the light cutoff with my OEM HIDs on both sides.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 11' EX-L, I put the 5000k HID's in mine. Cutoff is nice. In traffic on a dark street, you can see how well the cutoff is on the car in front of you. Mine is just below the mirror of them so they don't get the blinding effect. I love em! I plan to try out the 55k or whatever they are. The higher wattage ones. I've had 5 cars with HID's in them. These are some of the better projectors I've had, if not the best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 11' EX-L, I put the 5000k HID's in mine. Cutoff is nice. In traffic on a dark street, you can see how well the cutoff is on the car in front of you. Mine is just below the mirror of them so they don't get the blinding effect. I love em! I plan to try out the 55k or whatever they are. The higher wattage ones. I've had 5 cars with HID's in them. These are some of the better projectors I've had, if not the best.
I've had high end cars with adaptive HID lighting, but I must say that the lighting in the ELite is the best I have experienced so far. Wide coverage angle, excellent cutoff, bright enough but not too bright. What interests me thought is the cuttof line being too high in my opinion. It looks too high to me sometimes. I think the auto leveling system pushes the lights higher that I have experienced with other cars. Its ok in the garage, but when I am driving I see it lighting up signs 50 to 100 yards away!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had high end cars with adaptive HID lighting, but I must say that the lighting in the ELite is the best I have experienced so far. Wide coverage angle, excellent cutoff, bright enough but not too bright. What interests me thought is the cuttof line being too high in my opinion. It looks too high to me sometimes. I think the auto leveling system pushes the lights higher that I have experienced with other cars. Its ok in the garage, but when I am driving I see it lighting up signs 50 to 100 yards away!
I've not yet had the blessing to view the auto leveling system. On many of my HID's systems (07 Camry XLE with aftermarket HID's on factory projectors) showed signs very far away, yet had a cutoff below most mirrors. I have to say I've never gotten flashed for my lights in any projector HID setups. I've had the HID's on many reflector housings and they blind others. I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cutoff you have is very similar to what I see in my OEM HIDs. I think it looks pretty damn close to OEM. I also see a peak in the light cutoff with my OEM HIDs on both sides.

Thanks baobay!

Just curious, do T. Elite models have that adaptive light system err, auto leveling?

I hope so for 40K+ van:p. (mazda 3 even have it..)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe all HID lights other than those installed by the auto manufacturers are illegal per Federal rules. This means that if they didn't come on the vehicle they can not be legally added. (Even if they are factory installed on another trim level than yours). As far as I know, all factory HIDs have some type of leveling system to avoid blinding motorists when the load in your vehicle changes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks baobay!

Just curious, do T. Elite models have that adaptive light system err, auto leveling?

I hope so for 40K+ van:p. (mazda 3 even have it..)
Yes auto leveling is present in the elite but not the adaptive system. The lights do not turn when you turn the steering wheel but they level vertically according to the slope the van is on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes auto leveling is present in the elite but not the adaptive system. The lights do not turn when you turn the steering wheel but they level vertically according to the slope the van is on.

that's really annoying considering that you have paid that much.:frown: sometimes you really have to wonder whats on the mind of manufacturers.

I'm not bashing on HONDA- in fact I still believe they have the best package/trim level. BUT some of the available high tech device-- they just dont carry. (i.e keyless ignition, adaptive headlight, self parking assist, turbo or direct injection engine)-- much more they dont have V8:rollingeyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts