Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm gonna do this on Saturday.

I read through the TSB and it says to:
1) drain/flush the fluid, then refill with new fluid.
2) then swap out the reservoir?

Is this correct or should I install new reservoir fist, THEN replace with new fluid....just a little confused.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have not done the repair but it would make sense to me to drain the fluid first as you are "opening" the syestem when you remove the resivoir and could have quite a mess on your hands once you do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should be more clear, I will definatly drain first, just unsure as to when to refill, before the reservoir change or after....seems odd how the TSB says to do it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting ready to do mine too.. You should "flush" with the old Res.. This is to prevent cloging the new.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I need to do this "flush" on my 06 too. Where/how exactly do you flush it ?? Do you just disconnect the hose at the reservoir and let the fluid dran ??

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
This is a PS Pump DIY:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77121

But since you only replace the PS Reservoir and not the PS Pump, then these are the steps:

1. Use a Turkey Baster to remove fluid from PS Reservoir.

2. Disconnect hoses (get a rag to absorb the spill) using the appropriate pliers (or vice-grips):
See attached picture.

3. Install new PS Reservoir and hoses. You can re-use the old hoses if they are still good.

4. Fill the PS Reservoir to Max. Let it settle down for 1 minute.

5. Now start the engine and turn the Steering Wheel to Full R and L a few times to expel bubble. Then check the Fluid Level again.

6. Option: If you want to flush the system, then suck the fluid out of the PS Reservoir using the Turkey Baster. Refill with fresh fluid. Repeat the step above (engine running, SW to Full R and L a few times).
After a few cycles of drain/refill, you have essentiall new fluid.

PS: If you get this pair of pliers designed for these clamps, your life will be much easier. It is about $4-5 at Harbor Freight:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
power steering pump is gone?

Hi all,

I just had the PSF flush-and-fill done, as well as the reservoir replaced on my '04 Odyssey (101k miles), but now there's that dreaded whining/squealing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel side to side at idle. I can tell the noise is coming from the pump, and from reading the other threads, I suppose it means the pump went bad? There was no noise of any kind prior to the PSF flush-and-fill, so I'm confused as to why the pump failed right afterward. Is there any other remedy for the noise besides replacing the pump? My indy mechanic is quoting me $400 for the job.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Re: power steering pump is gone?

Coyody said:
Hi all,

I just had the PSF flush-and-fill done, as well as the reservoir replaced on my '04 Odyssey (101k miles), but now there's that dreaded whining/squealing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel side to side at idle. I can tell the noise is coming from the pump, and from reading the other threads, I suppose it means the pump went bad?
Try bleeding again. The proper way is:
- Start engine
- Turn SW all the way to the R and all the way to the L a few times to expel air.
- Then turn off engine and check fluid level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coyody,

I don't think the pump failed. You just have enough air in the system to cause the pump to whine. Interesting that you have this problem AFTER the reservoir was updated. See if you can get the old reservoir back, use a long screwdriver and punch a hole in the filter at the bottom of the reservoir after removing the red cap. Doing this returned my new fluid to fluid from a foamy mess.

If you are reading this before my much longer write-up, note that my original PS reservoir had almost nothing on the filter after over 100k miles. I had flushed the system at about 60k but that was it. I also cleaned the fliter as well as I could (out of the car) before I holed the filter screen. I'll just do more frequent fluid flushes now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
KJZ78701 said:
Coyody,

I don't think the pump failed. You just have enough air in the system to cause the pump to whine. Interesting that you have this problem AFTER the reservoir was updated. See if you can get the old reservoir back, use a long screwdriver and punch a hole in the filter at the bottom of the reservoir after removing the red cap. Doing this returned my new fluid to fluid from a foamy mess.
That's certainly good news if the PS pump indeed hasn't failed, although I'm still in search of ways to purge the air in the system. I've tried the lock-to-lock method, as well as the Lubegard PSF Protectant additive suggested in other threads. So far, no improvement on the whining/squealing noise whatsoever. The PSF still looks golden brown with no foaming in the new reservoir, which leads me to believe the system was fully flushed. I'm at a loss of what else to do. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
KJZ78701 said:
Interesting that you have this problem AFTER the reservoir was updated.
Unfortunately, that's not true. They have a 2004 and there is no updated reservoir for the prior gen. The reservoir problem is only with the 05 - 10 and the jury is still out on the 11+ :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks dv...I missed the year.

I am still convinced the PS pump noise is caused by foaming fluid. You won't be able to see that very well though the sides of the reservoir. Since you bought a new reservoir, ask for the old one back, remove the screen, or put a big hole in it and see what happens.

The pump moves a lot of fluid so once you remove the source of the foaming the rest of the air will flush rather quickly.

Here is another test: Drain all the fluid and see if the pump makes any noise at idle with no movement of the wheel. Now reconnect the return line and slowly add fluid. Does the noise return? If so, your fluid is foaming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts