Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just found this website and it looks like I'll be around for a while! I'm a certified car nut who's recently (end-October) acquired a 2002 Odyssey for the family.

Since we live in the rural outskirts of Houston I felt early on that the car needed foglights to help illuminate the road sides. I've read the very good information on this site on adding the Honda foglights and the mod to keep them on with parking lights / highbeams; my question here has to do with how good do the lights work?? Obviously I'm trying to decide whether to go with the factory kit (preserving the looks and possibly resale) or aftermarket PIAAs (which wouldn't fit perfectly but probably could be made to work).

My experience with factory foglights ranges from my '95 Taurus SHO (completely useless, for show only) to our '92 and '99 Volvos (reasonably okay pattern, but very short range) to my '01 BMW 330i (awesome illumination, excellent pattern and range). With the SHO I ended up stripping out the factory foglights and replacing them with PIAAs.

Thanks for any information / opinions!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Welcome to the group rg,

The general consensus is that the Honda fog lights are pretty useful, especially if you install Chuck's "Fog Light Mod #2," which allows use of the fog lights whenever the parking lights are on. Note, as has been discussed in another thread recently, that modification number 1 is not a prerequisite.

I also suggest that you search for my fog light installation notes. I think they'll save you some time and frustration.

There's also a thread discussing a pretty simple mod that keeps the low beams on when the brights are illuminated. Combined with mod 2 this should "light up your world" pretty good! (I haven't installed this mod yet; it's getting to be a little chilly up here for modifications. I think I'm going to do in inside the passenger compartment with a dash mounted switch to allow normal or modified operation.)

Mel

·
Registered
157 Posts
The fogs do an outstanding job of not only adding light just in front of the vehicle, but also lighting up "the ditches" to the front/side of your vehicle.

My wife does not like to spend money, especially on cars, but I think that she feels that the money was well spent.

I bought from HandA and had dealer install. Saved a hundred bucks that way & it's covered under warranty.

Go for the Honda fogs!!

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Pioneer 1695's (all around), Fogs, & more ZAINO!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
welcome rg.

The Honda fogs are for "short range" only. But they illuminate the immediate front and both sides with "excellent pattern".

Looks like you are looking for a "2nd pair of driving lamps" am I right? If so, you may be happier with other fogs.

If you are looking to (as man314 put it) light up "the ditches"...then I strongly recommend the Honda fogs.

------------------

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I have said that the fog lights almost provide as much light as cornering lights, at least as our other vehicle's cornering lights. I can't imagine driving without them now.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rg:

"our '92 and '99 Volvos (reasonably okay pattern, but very short range)"
</font>
That's exactly how I feel with the fog lights on my '01 Volvo and '02 Ody. So the answer would depend on how comfortable you feel with your Volvo fog lights...

Sid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get the fogs, they do a great job.....

'02 TW EXL-RES, splash guards, Fogs, cargo tray, Weather tech mats, Bug shield, and
2 kids........

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your responses...I'll probably end up doing the fogs but probably not right away.

Over the last couple of days I've been working my way through all the past posts on the various forums here. Great site...got here almost by accident!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts