Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My dealer called me today....They have received all the parts for the Honda accessories I wanted installed on my 2002 Ody: Fog Lights, Subwoofer, Towing package, etc. I have a question about the towing package:

The dealer said I have a choice for the size of the ball hitch: 1 7/8 inches, or 2.0 inches.

I bought the towing package primarily to get the power steering and ATF coolers -- I don't intend to tow anything. However, I might as well get the appropriate sized ball hitch since it's included.

So the question is: Should I get the 1 7/8 inch ball hitch, or the 2 inch one? Which is more commonly used? If you had this choice, which one would you pick, and why?

Dennis

------------------

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by btanchors:
So the question is: Should I get the 1 7/8 inch ball hitch, or the 2 inch one? Which is more commonly used? If you had this choice, which one would you pick, and why?
Dennis
</font>
Depends on the trailer being towed. I have the impression that larger and/or heavier trailers use the 2".

I think the price for a hitch ball by itself is around $10-$12. So whatever you get if you eventually need the other it is a minimal cost. Hitch balls don't have to be bought through Honda, either. You can even go to a U-Haul store to buy one. But if it were me I wuold probably get the 1-7/8" now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by btanchors:
Should I get the 1 7/8 inch ball hitch, or the 2 inch one? Which is more commonly used?</font>
From my experience with trailers, you would be better off with the 2" ball. I have found that the rental yards have 2" balls on all there trailer from their auto carrier trailer to their small trailers with ditchwich trenchers. I also think u-haul trailer are also 2".

Now if you plan on purchasing a light weight flat trailer, this trailer will likely use a 1 7/8" ball. I have two trailers that carry similar weight around 1500lbs and the flat utility trailer has a 1 7/8" and the JetSki trailer has a 2".

I grew up in family business that used and abused pickups. I really like having a utility trailer to hail all that stuff that is a pain to clean out of the vans carpet and I no longer worry about overloading and damaging the suspension on the van. I hopefully never overload and break the trailer but it is a lot cheaper to replace then repairing the van.

2" ball is my suggestion. BUT don't go towing 5000lbs trailer just because the ball has that limit.

BrianB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts