Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've read some good threads here on DIY tranny fluid change and had a few questions. If all of this is contained in a thread, feel free to point me there, I couldn't find one.

1) Is there a step-by-step guide on this site of how to do one (with vids/pics?). I've seen high level ones, but for us newbies more detail would be nice.

2) I've read several times that it is best to drain it and fill it about 3 times or so to get all of the old fluid out. How much time should be in-between changes? A quick drive same day? A week? A month?

3) Do you need to change the filter each time you do #2? Should the filter be changed each time you change the fluid? If so, what filter does everyone recommend?

4) Do you need to jack your car up to change tranny fluid / filter?

5) If my car as the cooler jet installed, does that change where I put the fluid in or any step of the process?

6) What is the best oil to use? I don't mind paying a small premium if I'll see a real ROI in the life of my tranny.

7) I've seen some additives out there which claim to help protect your tranny... items you essentially replace one of your quarts of tranny fluid with this stuff. Does it do anything or is it a scam? If it does help, which one should I get?

7) Lastly, since I'll be draining several times, is it cheaper to just buy a case of the stuff? Anyone know the cheapest place to buy it in bulk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Capo, Guess that means you bought one? Is so, congratulations.

First of all, if you are a newbie to car repair, maybe it would help to have someone experienced in mechanics help you this first time. If you have experience changing oil, this will be a breeze (except for putting the fluid in).

1) Is there a step-by-step guide on this site of how to do one (with vids/pics?). I've seen high level ones, but for us newbies more detail would be nice.

There are many, just use the search feature.

2) I've read several times that it is best to drain it and fill it about 3 times or so to get all of the old fluid out. How much time should be in-between changes? A quick drive same day? A week? A month?

Just driving it a few miles where the transmission has to go through the gears should be fine, then return home and do it again.

3) Do you need to change the filter each time you do #2? Should the filter be changed each time you change the fluid? If so, what filter does everyone recommend?

I never came across a filter on our 2004, so I hope there wasn't one.

I didn't, and I would never recommend it without jack stands. You can reach the drain plug from the front.

5) If my car as the cooler jet installed, does that change where I put the fluid in or any step of the process?

Yes, it must go in the dipstick hole, which is a challenge, If you do this, a turkey baster will be your new best friend.

6) What is the best oil to use? I don't mind paying a small premium if I'll see a real ROI in the life of my tranny.

Use only Honda fluid for everything on your van, except their engine oil is not necessary.

7) I've seen some additives out there which claim to help protect your tranny... items you essentially replace one of your quarts of tranny fluid with this stuff. Does it do anything or is it a scam? If it does help, which one should I get?

I doubt they help.

7) Lastly, since I'll be draining several times, is it cheaper to just buy a case of the stuff? Anyone know the cheapest place to buy it in bulk?

Might save you a little if you are doing the 3x drain and fill. You can check online for their prices, but shipping will probably wipe out any savings.

Good luck with it. You'll probably find all the info you need elsewhere in the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed amsoil synthetic tranny fluid in my 04 odyssey. Got in a 2.5 gallon jug from the local dealer. It says it will work on hondas.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Jacking up the car is not needed as Tom said above, but may be needed to to get your torque wrench on the drain bolt. (39 ft/lbs) My 3/8 torque wrench doesn't go to 39. My 1/2 does (with a 3/8 adapter), but it's very long hence the jacking. No need to lift the wheels off the ground, just add a little height under there.

The drain bolt is at the front of the transmission casing, so don't leave the van jacked while the fluid is draining or some won't drain out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts