Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve,

Could explain to us how you did the buttons on the Cruise controls? Are they screwed in? Also, what are they for? Did you have to route new wires to them? Also what are those LEDs on the foglight switch hole for anyway?

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pictures of my Odyssey have been posted to the Gallery, including video on the Navi screen shots.

The 4 (2 on each side) buttons are for extra radio controls (7 total with 3 factory). They are perfectly within fingers reach while driving. The buttons (sold at Radio Shack) fit inside the 4 screw holes on that back side of the steering wheel and are held in place with a little black silicon glue. Each button wires to a common ground and the provided 'resistor network' with Peripheral's PESI-W3 infrared steering wheel controller (link below). Aside from doing the basic soldering/wiring, the tricky part is drillling a small hole on the inside of each plastic shaft (for 2 wires), then screwing it back in place, soldering wires to push button and apply the silicon glue.

For those interested in my silver switches and lights in the fog light switch cover they are (top to bottom, left to right).
1. Navi (up) and Video (down) switch
2. Small red push button for 15 min. bypass on cell phone mute (the kids in back watching a movie request this one when moms talking on the cell phone!).
3. Green ON indicator light for cell phone mute bypass.
4. Red ON indicator for rear monitor(s)
5. Small switch for selecting navi video source. (Up DVD player, down whatever is playing in the rear).
6. Power ON for rear monitor(s) and TV tuner.

Steering wheel programmable interface
http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/steering_interface.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
Remove the push buttons, but why would you ever want to remove these covers again once you get your 4 new + 3 factory buttons in and working? ;-}

No, it really doesn't take much silicone glue to hold these push buttons in-place. You could easily pull them out and glue them back in.

Also you might like to know I mounted the Infrared repeater eye behind the clear plastic front dome light. It has the best unobstructed shot down at the dash!

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
VideoNavi, thanks for the info on the buttons, I just picked up the SWI-3 from a local shop. I wouldn't have thought about putting buttons over the mounting screws until I saw your picture.

-Harry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here are 2 hints for your project.

1. The resistor network that comes with the SWI-3 has 5 resistors. As I recall, I didn't use the 100K (or was that ohm?) value. One of the factory buttons uses 110(K) and I was afriad it would accidently trip the wrong IR code, so I didn't use this resistor. Other than that it was pretty darn simple.

2. Stick the little SWI-3 module up in the center dash (drivers side, up and to the right of the gas pedal). Leave enough wire to bring it out to the dash coin holder to program.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually I like your idea about putting the IR emitter behind the front dome light, I am thinking about putting the module behind it and run a pair of wires to the headunit.

The factory uses 100, 270, 620 and 3.6k resistors and the SWI-3 comes with 47, 150, 560, 1k and 2k. I'll test and see if it will cause problems or maybe I'll use my own resistors.

-Harry

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it was the 150 ohm resistor, I didn't use then.

Just remember you might need to get to the module later for reprogramming. I'd hate to see you put it in the sunglass holder! :}

·
Registered
276 Posts
No, I will not install the module inside the sunglass holder. There are plenty of space between the headliner and the roof and of course I will program the buttons first before installing the module. I already have a few modules installed under the dash, it's little crowded down there.

I am going to choose my own resistors' value because 2 of the resistors network are too close to 2 of the steering wheel control resistors (150 and 560)

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a good question for ya Steve. Since you got NAVI on both your Acura TL and the Honda Ody could you please see if your DVDs are interchangeable? If they are - I wonder if we are able to view non-US DVDs (such as Europe or Japan). Just curious.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't have an Acura TL, just have worked on a couple installing "Video On My Navi Kits". The systems have the same DVD navigation computer, so I would think the DVD map discs would be interchangable. Not like that would buy you anything, because they are updated and released about the same time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've posted this on another thread, but really wanted help on this one...

Thanks all...

VideoNavi and everyone else that's done this,

How do you route the wire (for the extra buttons attached to the resistor network) down the steering column without having the wires turn with the wheel? My installer is trying to figure this out.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

pang

1 - 12 of 12 Posts