Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 5-speed transmission exhibit the shift cable/torque converter noise like that in the old 4-speed? In the 4-speed, this noise occurred at torque converter lock up around 50 MPH with light acceleration. Also, does anybody know the lineage of the 5-speed transmission? I'm aware it is also being used in the Acura MDX. How long has it been used in the MDX? Or, is this also the first year of MDX use?

Thanks,

Cauchy

·
Registered
859 Posts
My '02 Ody 5spd shifts so soothly and quietly that it's nealy seamless. I only drove a '99 Ody a few miles nearly a month ago and didn't notice this "shift cable/torque converter noise" but the road noise was noticiblly higher in the '99 and I was paying more attention to the overall vehicle and how I liked it then the trans shifting.

-Mark

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our '02 does not exhibit the "dieseling" that our '01 did.

We're very happy to have traded for the '02. The transmission alone makes it worthwhile. It shifts so smoothly (especially when warm) that you have to watch the tach sometimes to know when the gears shifted.

4th and 5th are fairly "long" though, so if it selects them at a low speed (to gain better mileage), you will have one very low revving engine (1200 rpm). This can sometimes produce a "drone" kinda like you get from driving a stick shift in 4th or 5th at 20mph.

A little pressure on the gas and a seamless downshift will take care of it -- but I don't think it is very noticable and it's worth the MPG increase.

First gear is shorter too... which helps _tremendously_ with 0-15mph acceleration.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

1 - 3 of 3 Posts