Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long the battery will last when you are stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway in the winter for 2 hours with the heater on. Or in the summer at 90+ degrees with the air conditioning on. Also, how do they provide the heat and cooling? Heat pump? Propane Heater?
Is a fast charger an option? Just Curious.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Imo, that's asking for alot of info about a vehicle so new that probably noone has been in those scenarios yet to even know the answers. Might want to talk to a Honda Rep.

Just saying.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
have only read about it for the past year or so, but nothing tangible.

if its a hybrid it has a gas motor and a battery pack, your concerns wont be an issue.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Odd to post a question about a currently nonexistent upcoming model in the 2011-2018 section. :unsure: All of these have a V6, but it's not unusual to replace the 12 volt battery after 2-4 years.
Stuck in traffic? You're probably just idling the engine and watching your MPG go down.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah, that's the smaller 'International Ody' with the conventional doors.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,595 Posts
It's way too early for a new generation. 2024 model year at the earliest.

Reactions: tritan

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
239 Posts
Those articles are more like tabloids without any concrete information or reputable sources. It is all presumptive information and are mostly based on information already available about the current model.

I’d wait for the official news release from corporate. Since the 4th Gen ran 7 years, I would expect the current generation to run until 2024 unless the Sienna does so well and Honda releases the next generation a year early.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
530 Posts
Considering Honda's recent Odyssey electrical woes, buy a Sienna. Our neighbor bought a '21 model having owned several earlier Odyssey's and RAVES about the Sienna. He drives like a bat out of hell and is still pulling 36 mpg and has done several long cross country trips with no issues.

If you're looking "new" that's where I would be looking myself. Me, very happy with our '16 EXL (Muzzled, better brakes, fluids updated, etc.).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would pay so much money (let's face it, minivans err.. multi-purpose vehicles are being positioned and priced as upmarket offerings - there is no $20K Dodge Caravan anymore) to be a guinea pig for a Honda hybrid Odyssey. You'd have to be a seriously addled fanboy to make that bet at this point.

If you want a good hybrid minivan, just buy a Sienna.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
Honda does like experimenting with our wallets this past decade...

I like Toyota quality, but hate driving in them.

will buy an F150 pickup, maybe an electric one the next time around.
I loved the RAV4 V6 we had before outgrowing it and buying our Ody. That thing was ridiculously overpowered, comfortable and reliable. I still miss it sometimes.

The F-150 Lightning looks really tempting but I'd still probably wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out before coughing up.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering how long the battery will last when you are stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway in the winter for 2 hours with the heater on. Or in the summer at 90+ degrees with the air conditioning on. Also, how do they provide the heat and cooling? Heat pump? Propane Heater?
I was told by a AAA guy when my battery went down to 0. Don't run the rear air conditioner unless absolutely necessary. It uses a lot of power and tends to run down the battery. I was in warranty and the road service was covered on my Ody. Elite. After the jump-start, my battery was fine and I never run the rear AC.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The HVAC system is all electric. The battery pack on all electric vehicles is quite large, so it can handle a couple of hours of heating or cooling.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You need to check out Musk's cars Very interesting HVAC packages.
He dug really hard to find innovative engineers for that.
In fact he is considering getting into the HVAC business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts