Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.) does the ody have a preamp?
2.)do i need one if im gonna put in a power amp?
3.)will not having a preamp mess anything up if i hook a power bass amp up to the head unit?
4.)if the ody doesnt have a preamp where can i get one?
5.)how much would it be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
right now i have the amp input connected to the existing speakers .
and i can hear a little treble and midrange coming from the subwoofer making it sound distorted, and all i want is bass. someone told me if i hooked the amp up to the head unit i would get better sound quality and all bass. thats why im asking about a preamp. is this true?

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andyrew500:
right now i have the amp input connected to the existing speakers .
and i can hear a little treble and midrange coming from the subwoofer making it sound distorted, and all i want is bass. someone told me if i hooked the amp up to the head unit i would get better sound quality and all bass. thats why im asking about a preamp. is this true?
</font>

I don't own my oddy yet, I am in line for an 02 RRP EXL-Res, so I can't answer the questions about the Head unit. However, I have put many aftermarket stereo's and amps in for friends, as well as myself. If the headunit does not have a preamp out, you can get a preamp adapter, that connects to the output left and right channel wires, and converts the signals down, and allow you to then plug the signal into the amp via RCA plugs. Most amps require you to have pre-amp outputs to hook up them up properly. Then you would hook up the speakers to the left and right outputs on the amp.
You may be able to get a wiring diagram or headunit info from your dealer, or maybe crutchfield. I hope this is understandable and helpful.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rickneuropa:
If the headunit does not have a preamp out, you can get a preamp adapter, that connects to the output left and right channel wires, and converts the signals down, and allow you to then plug the signal into the amp via RCA plugs. Most amps require you to have pre-amp outputs to hook up them up properly. Then you would hook up the speakers to the left and right outputs on the amp.
You may be able to get a wiring diagram or headunit info from your dealer, or maybe crutchfield. I hope this is understandable and helpful.
</font>
Hi Rickneurops,

I've not heard of the preamp conversion that you speak of but it sounds like a neat way to do things. My question is, have you installed an amp that has speaker level inputs? If so, do you think the results were comparable with a unit using the RCA jacks?

Just wondering.....

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
If so, do you think the results were comparable with a unit using the RCA jacks?
Just wondering.....
Drive Safe,
Steve
</font>
Here's my 2 cents, Steve. I had a set-up in my '82 Mitsubishi with the speaker level outputs into the amp. Let me tell you that the quality is inferior to one with RCA outs.Sound was not as clear and crisp .

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Let's see if I can clarify things a bit:
The Odyssey head unit (both LX and EX versions) are like most OEM stereos. NO preamp OUTPUTS.

Preamp outputs are a very desirable thing when installing outboard amps. As Rob mentioned, the sound quality is simply better.

However, any factory stereo can be upgraded with an outboard amp. In fact, many (if not most consumer brand) aftermarket amps have speaker level inputs. This means you hook your speaker leads directly into the amp. (make sure the amp has this capability, don't just try to splice the connection into the RCA inputs of the amp!!!)

Some amplifiers do not have preamp inputs, and therefore you need to use a line-level converter (as mentioned below) to convert the high voltage signal from your speaker outputs of your radio, into the low voltage inputs of your amp. There are many devices for this purpose, and they cost between $10-$75 depending on the # of channels you want to convert, the sound quality you are looking for, etc... Check out the www.autotoys.com website for some of these devices. They sell the Peripheral Electronics line, which are very good. Also, most car audio shops carry these devices, as does Best Buy, etc.. (I believe).

In regards to your question Steve, I've installed a quality aftermarket headunit and tried both speaker level and line level inputs to see if there is a noticable SQ difference. I think the difference is night and day; the preamp outs are much better. (email me if you want a better explaination why this is so) Compare a factory unit using the speaker outs into an aftermarket amp against an aftermarket deck using line-outputs into an amp, and the difference is even greater.

Again, as with any car audio installation, your system will only sound as good as your weakest component. If you replace your speakers and are happy with the sound at low volume, but want it a little lounder with more dynamic range, the amp added to the factory deck may be a good next step. But if you want better SQ (meaning you are unhappy with the overall sound) then I feel switching out the factory deck is the way to go. Then you can listen the the aftermarket deck's speaker outs, and see if you want to go all the way and get an outboard amp hooked to the line outputs... I ramble...
One last thing for ANDYREW500:
If you amp allows speaker level inputs, then your problem is a matter of a lack of a crossover, not the speaker inputs. You either need to get an outboard electronic crossover, use a passive crossover, or get an amp that has a crossover built in. BTW, the purpose of the crossover (if you didn't know) is to filter out (in this case) the high frequencies from the signal. I could talk a long time just about crossovers, just let me know if you have more questions.....
Good Luck,
SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Preamp outputs are a very desirable thing when installing outboard amps. As Rob mentioned, the sound quality is simply better.

In regards to your question Steve, I've installed a quality aftermarket headunit and tried both speaker level and line level inputs to see if there is a noticable SQ difference. I think the difference is night and day; the preamp outs are much better. (email me if you want a better explaination why this is so) Compare a factory unit using the speaker outs into an aftermarket amp against an aftermarket deck using line-outputs into an amp, and the difference is even greater.

</font>
Hi Shinjohn,

Thanks for the input. I originally thought I'd be replacing everything from the radio head on down based on what I'd read in this forum. After running the stock AM/FM/cassette in my '01 LX, I found that I liked the look of the factory system and the sound, while no where near great, wasn't quite a bad as I thought it would be. I've replaced the front speakers (Pioneer 1665's) and that helped a lot! I've since added the Kelton subwoofer and in-dash 6 disk CD player. I'm still experimenting with the subwoofer settings but am much happier with the overall sound of the system. My impression of what I'm hearing from everyone is that the added aftermarket amp may be getting well into the "dimished returns" part of my upgrade equation!
I'm obviously pretty much committed to the factory system now so I'll just play it by ear (pun intended!) for the time being.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Steve,
One other thought that might make your sound system perform better, and play clearer at higher volumes. Try putting some 6db/oct passive crossovers for your front/rear speakers at around 100 Hz to give your factory amp some more juice for highs and mids. Since you have a sub to handle the low end, this should noticably help your factory amp from clipping (distorting).
The basic idea is that you filter out the low frequecies from your main speakers, thus reducing the power draw on your factory head unit. A simple 6dB/octave passive crossover consists of a single capacitor in series with the speaker. For a 4 ohm speaker, 100Hz comes out to ~400uF. You could get those at radio shack for a buck or two each if you wanna try it out.
Just a thought since you have the sub, and use only factory power.....

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts