Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
There was an earlier post that Michelin MXV-4+'s cut the noise of the Symmetries dramatically in half.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
478 Posts
Check out www.tirerack.com and go to owner survey for the category of tire you are interested in. Great way to compare tires etc. Of course, the survey is a result of personal opinions, not scientific testing so take it with a "grain of salt".

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ody- How are your new Dunlops for noise? The D60 A2s I had were quite noisy, but, would those tires hold the road! They were the most responsive tires I have ever had. I always select tires for performance characteristics first and all other considerations second. Some say the Yokohama Db tire is a good quiet performance tire. For me, there will be no tire on the car with less than an "A" temperature rating, thus an "H" speed rating or better, such as your Dunlops.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Ody- How are your new Dunlops for noise? The D60 A2s I had were quite noisy, but, would those tires hold the road! They were the most responsive tires I have ever had. I always select tires for performance characteristics first and all other considerations second. Some say the Yokohama Db tire is a good quiet performance tire. For me, there will be no tire on the car with less than an "A" temperature rating, thus an "H" speed rating or better, such as your Dunlops.

Jerry O.
</font>
Don't know yet Jerry, my wheels are due to come in today or tomorrow (I hope!) so they are not yet on the van. They are supposed to be very quiet though according to what I've read about them and the survey on tirerack.com
I had D60 A2 Dunlops on my Windstar and loved them! Got 60k miles on them (size 215/65 15) and felt they were good all around performers. I replaced them with Pirelli P400 in 215/70 15 and they too are excellent tires. The Windstar's handling is so "ponderous" that one cannot really explore the tire's handling capability anyway, but all around noise, ride comfort, hydroplane resistance etc. is very good.
As soon as the tires/wheels are on the van, I will post pics and do a "review".

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Patm1234:
I am wondering what your opinions are re. all season tires that are VERY QUIET.</font>
Pat, if you're still shopping, consider the new Yokohama AVS-DB at the tirerack, which is available in size 225-60-16. It is the MOST QUIET tire ever tested by the tirerack. It's also Z-rated high-performance all-season. Cost only a few bucks more than the lousy stock Michelin Symmetry.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pat, how much snow do you get in Kansas City? If you expect to use these tires in the snow, there are a large number of "all-season" tires that are quiet and have a good speed/performance rating, but which are almost useless in any kind of snow or ice. I find the Michelin Symmetrys are pretty impressive in the snow and ice. I also had a set of Michelin Energy MXV-4s (H-rated) on my old Accord, and I thought they were very quiet, performed well in snow, ice and rain, and also performed very well in the dry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone had any experience with the Yokohama AVS DB in snow or wet surfaces? Are they really as quiet as advertised? I hate to hear tires 'sing' across a variety of pavements. How is the handling, cornering, stopping, etc. THANKS

·
Registered
29 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by petern12:
Pat, if you're still shopping, consider the new Yokohama AVS-DB at the tirerack, which is available in size 225-60-16. It is the MOST QUIET tire ever tested by the tirerack. It's also Z-rated high-performance all-season. Cost only a few bucks more than the lousy stock Michelin Symmetry. </font>
It is not as quite as the Yokohama Avid Touring. As a matter of fact, it is not as quite as most touring tires. It is the quitest ride with that speed rating.

------------------
2001 LX SS

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently put the Yokohama AVS-DB's on my Avalon. They are the quietest tires I've ever had on a car. I have had the Dunlop D60 A2s on the same car. No comparison!
They will be the next set of tires that go on the Ody.

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 0dy2000tony:
I recently put the Yokohama AVS-DB's on my Avalon. They are the quietest tires I've ever had on a car. I have had the Dunlop D60 A2s on the same car. No comparison!
They will be the next set of tires that go on the Ody.
</font>
Thanks for the tip. Quiet tires would be a nice thing on the Odyssey.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
71 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phil47:
I find the Michelin Symmetrys are pretty impressive in the snow and ice. </font>
I agree. I had my first snow storm with my Ody on Wednesday. It handled better in the snow than any car I have ever owned. I have also used the Michelin X-One on my Camry and noticed a substantial improvement in rain and snow over the Bridgestones it came with. For those of us who have to deal with snow, there is a tradeoff between performance and safety. I choose safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
$96 for the AVSdb or $50 for the Touring w/80K mile warranty?

Expect the AVSdb to last 40-50K miles.

For simple math, I'm going to say that the Touring lasts twice as long as the AVS db. Therefore, the realized cost of the Touring is actually $25/tire relative to the $96 AVSdb tires. In exchange for the low price you do give up some performance and arguably some safety (I would think it is minimal). Regardless of what you read here, the Touring is much quieter than the AVSdb. (Check the Noise Comfort Test scores on Tirerack.com - AVSdb = 7.5, AVS Touring = 8.33. Yes, higher is better.)

In conclusion, a quieter, albeit less performance-driven, tire from the same manufacturer has a real cost almost 1/4 that of the better performing tire. That being said, the Yokohama AVS db is an OUTSTANDING tire that is still relatively cheap ($96). I just can't get over how cheap the AVS Avid Touring is.

------------------
2001 LX SS

·
Registered
596 Posts
I always hate to hear anyone say they are giving up some safety and performance, when it comes to tires. You have paid around 30K, give or take, for the vehicle and you won't go for the best you can get, when it comes to tires. By the mile, the cost is not that much and the benefits can be great. The added traction and temperature tolerance(a good thing in your part of the country!) are well worth the cost. Some folks say they do not need a performance tire because they do not do performance driving, but, if you have ever made an all-out stop, you have done performance driving. Almost everyone has had to stop very quickly and the edge a performance tire can give can be a lifesaver. Also, remember those who ride with you. They should be given the best protection possible. Just my two cents......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
29 Posts
The difference between the two we've mentioned is negligible, if at all. It definitely would not be the difference between a non-injury accident and an injury accident. You might get a very slight increase in your 0-60 times or high speed (100+ mph) manuevering when choosing the high performance tire over the grand touring. Additionally, you will lose your tread much quicker with the higher performance tire making them more dangerous in wet conditions (when most accidents occur to begin with). Therefore, the longer lasting touring tires could prove to be safer for the average driver. TrickedOdy might be a different story.

BTW, I have done accident scene investigations, appraised damaged vehicles, and investigated details of accidents. My "real world" experience tells me that a good tire with good tread is much safer than a great tire with minimal tread. I would also rather my family be in a vehicle that could react quickly in wet weather as my workload always increased due to wet weather.

Additionally, if I could afford it, I would have my wife and kids in a Mercedes station wagon. I wrote an estimate for one that was hit in the side by an F150 going over 30 mph. The Ford was totalled, but the MB was repaired to pre-accident condition. I could not believe how well the MB took the impact.

------------------
2001 LX SS

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am pleased with how quiet my new Bridestone Turanza LS-H tires are on our 2000 LX Odyssey.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nza+LS-H&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26HR6TLS

I have had the tires on for around 30 days and have done two road trips on them. The van is really quiet under 65mph. Over 65mph, there is still road noise on some road surfaces, but is a lot less then the prior firestone tires.

BrianB
2000 LX TW Odyssey, 225/60R16 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jerry O said:
I always hate to hear anyone say they are giving up some safety and performance, when it comes to tires. You have paid around 30K, give or take, for the vehicle and you won't go for the best you can get, when it comes to tires. By the mile, the cost is not that much and the benefits can be great. The added traction and temperature tolerance(a good thing in your part of the country!) are well worth the cost. Some folks say they do not need a performance tire because they do not do performance driving, but, if you have ever made an all-out stop, you have done performance driving. Almost everyone has had to stop very quickly and the edge a performance tire can give can be a lifesaver. Also, remember those who ride with you. They should be given the best protection possible. Just my two cents......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX
Thanks for the reminder Jerry! So, taking your advice, what would be the all around best tire I could/should get for my 2003 Ody with a 17" rim?

Thanks!
Tara

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
TaraA said:
Thanks for the reminder Jerry! So, taking your advice, what would be the all around best tire I could/should get for my 2003 Ody with a 17" rim?

Thanks!
Tara
Tara. you have several good choices in the 235/55HR-17 size. One of my favorites is the Dunlop SP Sport A2, which is a very good H-rated, AA traction (a rare rating, at the price of the Dunlop), A temperature rated tire which will serve you very well. It is also a very reasonably priced tire, which really makes it a best buy, IMHO. Enjoy your new wheel/tire combo.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have Yokohama AVS dB tires on our BMW, and I have to say, they are very, very noisy once they start wearing. It makes this loud humming sound... much worse than the stock Michelin Pilot MXM4s. I do not recommend the AVS dBs, desipte the TireRack user ratings.

I've heard that the Turanza LS-H tires are very quiet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jerry O said:
Tara. you have several good choices in the 235/55HR-17 size. One of my favorites is the Dunlop SP Sport A2, which is a very good H-rated, AA traction (a rare rating, at the price of the Dunlop), A temperature rated tire which will serve you very well. It is also a very reasonably priced tire, which really makes it a best buy, IMHO. Enjoy your new wheel/tire combo.

Jerry O.
Jerry,
I was going to get the 225/55/17's. You mention 235/55/17...is that what you recommend? Do they come in the 225's?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts