Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having shaking at the front wheels and a metal to metal thud type sound for a few weeks. It is mostly prominent at low speeds. Took it to a local shop and they told me I had to replace the driver side upper control arm and the rack and pinion. He showed me the passenger side boot of the rack and it looked like a mess of stuff had leaked out.

This sound accurate to you guys? Anyone know where to get a good price on a re manufactured rack? I was quoted $770 for re-man rack and new upper control arm with labor. Keep in mind this is a NY price. Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Rockauto lists three different racks for $300-400 plus core. Add labour and wheel alignment plus upper arm. Your quote is close.

·
Registered
134 Posts
is the rack leaking onto the driveway? are you loosing steering fluid? if not and its just grease, you can just get away with replacing the inner and out tie rods and boots

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
is the rack leaking onto the driveway? are you loosing steering fluid? if not and its just grease, you can just get away with replacing the inner and out tie rods and boots
Yes, if water and dirt hasn't gotten into the CV joints and worn them out. OP has all kinds of scary sounds from the front end.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try this on my own but given the cold weather, tools needed, and not having the best place to work on it, as well as the inability to get it that high up, this is one of those things I rather have a mechanic do.

I saw the rockauto ones and thats why i figured price was in the right range.

I street park but i havent noticed a major puddle or anything but the level does go low.

All in all my cousin's mechanic quoted me $500 for the job. I'm going to go ahead and go with it. Just too dangerous to risk losing my ability to steer while driving.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would try this on my own but given the cold weather, tools needed, and not having the best place to work on it, as well as the inability to get it that high up, this is one of those things I rather have a mechanic do.

I saw the rockauto ones and thats why i figured price was in the right range.

I street park but i havent noticed a major puddle or anything but the level does go low.

All in all my cousin's mechanic quoted me $500 for the job. I'm going to go ahead and go with it. Just too dangerous to risk losing my ability to steer while driving.
I would pay 500 . Sometimes its better to pay than getting all greasy

·
Registered
7 Posts

i notice my 96 has a squeeking sound coming from the front driver side wheel, dont know if its the wheel bearing but when i did check under the wheels i saw that the rubber boot on the rack & pinion rip in 2 piece & leaking grease. are they related to the squeeking sound? also is rubber boot can be replace since im not loosing power steering fluid?

thanks in advance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts