Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Radiator recommended at 10 to 12 years for preventive maintenance?????

My mechanic specializes in Honda. He states the life of the Odyssey radiator is 10 to 12 years. That's because the radiator is made of aluminum and plastic.

I'm confused because I've search a lot of forum on the internet and I can't find anybody confirming the radiator should be changed between 10 to 12 years. I don't mind changing it because it's not that expensive. My friend who has a Honda Civic stated his aluminum and plastic radiator blew at 12 years.

Assuming that it does need to be change, is it better to go 100% aluminum (about $110 for Silla), or should I just stay with aluminum and plastic (about $105 for Toyo.) I heard that 100% aluminum will last forever, but I don't know if there are any disadvantages.

I will probably install the radiator myself.....I heard it wasn't that hard.

I own a 2001 Honda Odyssey with 133,333 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't know if its significant, but my Acura Integra's radiator started leaking at about 13 years.

I can't comment on what replacement is best, but getting 12 years per radiator doesn't sound bad to me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Mine got a hole and required replacement already. But from the look and location, I think it was a rock. Do a search on my DIY log its a very doable DIY job.

My big brainstorm was to protect the NEW radiator from damage while wiggling it into place by taping flat cardboard on either side until it is in place. Then you don't bang up all the fins on the new one. It's a good bit of wrestlingto get it in place. Especially if you are like me and unwilling to actually remove the fan shrouds, battery and battery box to do the job.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unless you damage the radiator from the outside, there is no reason to replace it. It certainly isn't going to corrode on the inside if you follow the recommended coolant change schedule. I would simply run with it and when/if it starts leaking you can replace it. It is not likely to fail catastrophically. I only have 12.5 years and 235K on my '01 radiator, so who knows?

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I bought a Koyo for my 1998 Accord, and the factory cap fit just fine. In fact, everything bolted up exactly as OEM: fan shrouds, fans, rubber bottom mounts, top mount, etc.

I like Koyo.

Oh, I kept the packaging and used manualman's trick to keep it safe during install, even though I did remove everything. Kept it 100% "ding free".

OF

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I replaced mine this summer, was original. I was getting a whiff of coolant on hot days and sure enough it had dried coolant on the ATF fittings. Bottom tank was letting go. For $100 why risk it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ended up buying the Koyo off ebay and it fits perfectly. No need for a new radiator cap, either.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Yes, Denso and Koyo are great choices. I kept my radiator cap, too. :D

OF

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless you damage the radiator from the outside, there is no reason to replace it. It certainly isn't going to corrode on the inside if you follow the recommended coolant change schedule. I would simply run with it and when/if it starts leaking you can replace it. It is not likely to fail catastrophically. I only have 12.5 years and 235K on my '01 radiator, so who knows?

Constant heating and cooling of dissimilar expansion rate materials (aluminum radiator, plastic tanks) causes them to develop leaks after about 10 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The issue is the leaks that develop between the plastic tank and the aluminum core. Once that seal starts to fail, it's all over - it cannot be repaired. I replaced my radiator in my '99 CRV in January of 2013 for that reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts