Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
New-to-me 2004 Odyssey EX-L, 171k miles
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks -

I recently noticed a wobbly and vibrating radiator fan, and I suspected a motor bearing going bad. I read up on how to replace it after looking around OdyClub. This helped quite a bit, and I can save people a bit of time on this...

I chose to go "out the front" with the fan. Annoyingly, because you need just a BIT more room, you have to move the headlights, so I DID have to take off the bumper, which I hate doing for all the problematic ways that it is attached! Then, someone else pointed that you don't have to take the headlights completely out, let alone unplug them. Just take out the 3 inside bolts on each side, and loosen the outer (4th) bolt, then you can just swing the headlights forward a few inches, which is all you need. You will need to unbolt the hood latch mechanism and pull it up out of the way (still attached to its cable is fine). For the (relatively tall) vertical crossmember (which is bolted to the frame along with the hood latch mechanism, you only have to unbolt the TOP bolts - don't bother with the bottom. You have to pop the cord "holders" out of a few places. Also, you only need to unbolt the top/back bolts on the radiator - just where they all bolt to the big crossmember. You DON'T have to take that whole radiator "frame" off - see the pic. Then, disconnect the top radiator hose and the smaller "overflow"? one. It only spilled a few ounces of coolant - no big. See the pix and you'll see exactly how much space that will buy you - that's all you'll need. Unbolt and unclip the shroud, and it comes up and out with no problem.

I didn't want to fool with pulling out the whole battery box. It is very simple to unclip the two small fuseboxes mounted to the battery box and then remove the clip that they are held by - its just one bolt. HOWEVER, I did that before the rest of the steps I mentioned, and in hindsight, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to move ANY of the battery stuff at all if you're doing it this way.

The factory shroud and fan are pretty nicely made (as others have mentioned) so I'd try to just replace that motor if you can. The back bearing was shot on mine (no pix, but the shaft had almost 1/8" of side to side play in it!! For those replacement motors, it is a common part used by a lot of different manufacturers, and I didn't feel like paying $75 for a new "Honda" one. Search the cross-referenced part numbers and you can do better. I got a VDO/Continental PM9128 from RockAuto for $43, and it's an exact match, including the wire and plug. It drops right in with 3 screws.

** One thing I noticed was that on the old shaft, AND the new motor shaft, when the fan was installed and tightened down, there was a little bit of play in between the fan and the shaft in both cases, as the locking washer/nut bottoms out on the unmachined end of the motor shaft - see the pix. Maybe it is designed that way, but I doubt it, since the back of that washer/nut has a "locking" surface pattern on it which doesn't work if there is free play underneath it. SO, I found a thin lock washer to put under that nut, and then it tightened up nicely. (I also used blue threadlocker just in case). Now the fan is tight on the shaft. I sure hope that I didn't fix a "problem" that was actually designed that way for some reason!! It all went back together just fine and its working great.

P.S. - What I also DON'T recommend is getting too excited that your parts showed up early and doing this on blacktop in the middle of the day in Georgia when its 96 god**mn degrees outside! But who's that stupid? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,953 Posts
P.S. - What I also DON'T recommend is getting too excited that your parts showed up early and doing this on blacktop in the middle of the day in Georgia when its 96 god**mn degrees outside! But who's that stupid? :)
Could be worse...when my new sliding door actuator showed up early a couple years ago I didn't waste any time in heading out and installing it. Temperature was probably well above 100 then as it usually is all summer around here.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,953 Posts
will take the heat over siberia here in the north...

I can take equator heat, so anything in between that and Siberia is gravy.
😁
I think the heat is worth having decent weather for the other 9 months of the year + no road salt meaning very little rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts