Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
did you notice any slow leakage before? would you have found it i you were watching the overflow tank level every week? At least that is what I plan to do myself. at 203K miles and 15 years, all I want is some warning before a thing breaks on me!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It is possible. Maybe that little radiator smell I have been noticing since the TB change. It could be the coolant residue but later on it might have been a tiny crack or hole. The overflow did not go below low though and no wet spots below the radiator or drops on the floor. I am checking around daily for a few days now just to see if the area dries up or says wet anywhere.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I was getting the sweet whiff of coolant on hot days last summer. Had it pressure tested, inspected and nothing found. Decided to change original rad before Vegas trip, glad I did. The coolant leak was at the ATF cooler fittings in the bottom tank. The two nipples were heavily built up with green crust where it had been slowly sweating out. Couldn't see it till I had the rad out laying on the driveway.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
This vehicle from which I got the temp data has the 82-deg C Motorad thermostat in it, if that might make a difference.

OF
Watched the temp with my scangauge today, fluctuates around 180F so I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Found a 6" crack in the top plastic piece that is crimped onto the aluminum fins. $200 for a new rad, will install it this weekend.
I have 250,000 miles on my 2000, kind of happy it lasted that long.
The leak is behind the foam weather stripping on the front of the top plastic piece near the rad fill cap.

·
Registered
638 Posts
OP: Had exact same problem on my 2001. Top "plastic" reservoir, develops leak. Mechanic replaced mine.
But did mention, the A/C condenser, OK but showed wear. Said, past experience, he's seen condensers fail
sometime after radiator replacement.

Something, you should watch. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
said the A/C condenser, OK but showed wear. Said, past experience, he's seen condensers fail sometime after radiator replacement
Time consuming, but the rad is in, did the remove the front bumper and headlight approach
My condenser looked pretty beat up from debris hitting the fins, might need one soon as you mentioned it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts