Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2003 EX-L
4,047 Posts
Removing the battery box can be a big PITA (bottom screw and wire clamp fasteners) and the space is pretty tight trying to remove the rad fans and shrouds.

Another way is to remove the bumper and headlights and then you have much more room and less chance of dinging up the fins on the radiator.

Removing the bumper and headlights only takes around an extra 15 min.
There are vids on youtube on how to do it.
Buffalo4

· Registered
2003 EX-L
4,047 Posts
rkpatt,
I had a very frustrating time changing the radiator on my 03. I tried the battery tray route and couldn't get that damn bolt loose under the battery tray and the mosquitoes were killing me and my 'temper and patience' was at its limits. :ahh:
The spring clamps were not tooooooo bad and I only used pliers, not special ones.
The next day I tried the bumper and headlight removal method and it finally went pretty well. Don't know why Honda made it so damn difficult to remove and install the radiator.
Course, if I had to do it all over again it would be much faster and less trying. :eek:
I used that cardboard trick and it helped a lot. If one of my radiator fans fails, I might try to get that battery tray bolt loose.
I also wish radiators would have their flow rate listed and the OEM flow rate for comparison purposes.
Do double core radiators have an improved flow rate (gpm) or just more surface for cooling. Anyone??

Don't forget to keep checking your overflow tank for the proper level as it is difficult to get all the air out the first time.
If you haven't ever changed your radiator cap, it would be a good preventive maintenance thing to do. I put a Stant cap on my new radiator and later bought a OEM one (Stant was working fine) and it didn't fit my replacement radiator, so I am now using that Stant and it is fine. i may have to file the lip on the radiator or file the tang on the OEM to get it to fit, but that will be later. :D
Buffalo4
PS: I was working by myself and running out of beer. :ahh:

1 - 2 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.