Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2010 Ody in to get the power steering pump recall performed at David Hobbs Honda, Glendale, WI. They did the work and returned the van to me. I could smell fluid burning as I walked up to the van and hopped in. I thought the tech must have gotten fluid all over the exhaust and it was burning off. I almost drove off, almost. I decided I had better pop the hood and check the engine compartment. I went around to the front and seen white smoke coming from the grill. I thought, how much fluid did he spill? I opened the hood completely and found a rag up against the exhaust smoldering. The rag was close to completely catching fire and I'd guess a third of it had already burned up. I managed to squeeze my hand down near the exhaust and grab it. I took the rag inside and showed it to the service manager. They pulled the van back in, checked for damage and said I was good to go. I am not sure how I feel about this but their service dept. does not inspire confidence in me. I'll have to check for damage later. I am also glad I didn't just drive home. I felt like I was being "weird" or something by popping the hood and checking their work. I'm glad I did. I don't know how much damage the rag would have caused if it started on fire while I was driving. Who knows? It might have just burned itself out. Or not. Just remember the stories you read here and don't feel weird checking the tech's work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Everyone should check the car before leaving the repair shop.
If you drive the car off, any problem you find due to poor workmanship will be harder to prove.

I always:
- open the hood and see if anything is missing, broken or out of place.
- check fluid levels.
- look under for any obvious fluid leak.
- look inside the car for trash or dirty spots on steering wheel, dash, seat.

If a job requires removing the tires, I would bring the car home and re-install the lug nuts.

Let's just say I've found several things not to my liking and the shop had to make amends on the spot.

So I don't feel weird or embarrassed when I open up the hood of the car before I drive out of the shop's parking lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I, too always look under the hood after leaving a repair shop. You just never know about some of these places/people working on your vehicle. What txn said is good advice on what to check. Like txn, I always retighten the lugs after I have the tires removed to perform a service job. Plus, I always check to make sure they are at least tight before leaving the shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts