Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2018 Elite's rain sensing wipers operate rapidly in misting conditions when the sensitivity is set to the lowest to allow for maximum rain accumulation and operate in a highly delayed mode during hard rain or cornering. Good news is that our wonderful Honda service team was able to disconnect the rain sonar sensor so we're controlling intermittent wiper speed (which is much better than the rain sensor operating opposite to what it should be). Just curious if anyone else had this rain sensing wiper issue. Ours was built in August.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I most definitely agree with you!! If you searched my posts, you'd see how much I hate these wipers...the only Elite feature that I am not enjoying! I'm not as disappointed in their behavior in light rain, it's how erratic they are in moderate to heavy rains. They drive me nuts. And I'm sooo happy to hear of your solution to the problem. I'll probably ask for this to happen at my next dealership visit....yahooo!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Did you by chance use RainX on the windshield. I've heard that it causes problems with the sensor for the auto wipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have had issues with the rain sensing wipers. The dealer flashed the computer system, but that didn't do anything. I wonder if they have to replace the whole sensor. I wasn't sure if it was a malfunction or just a really crappy system. I feel like it should do a lot better job than it does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've also been so frustrated by this and been meaning to come on here to see if others had the same issue. Glad I'm not alone, but a bit perturbed that it's a known problem. I've often thought to myself I'd rather just have the intermittent wiper than the sensor, even though initially I thought the rain sensor was such a cool thing. I will say that there was once or twice where I had left it on, but there was no rain, and then all of a sudden a few drops of rain fell and my wipers went on...and I thought that was cool. But overall I've been very disappointed with the erratic behavior of the wipers using the sensor.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I believe I read in the owners manual that the feature can be damaged if left in the
On position when it isn't raining.

You need a weeks course to figure out the technology on this vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So let get this right? If you disconnect the rain sensor, the system reverts to a manually controlled mode like a conventional intermittent wiper system? I surely hope so!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, our Honda dealer disconnected the rain sensor (in the rear view mirror area) and it defaulted to intermittent wiper operation. Only downside is that the auto headlights don't work as they are wired into the rain sonar sensor electrical connector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing it is driving the wife and I crazy. Come on Honda we need to get some of these issues corrected. Love the van but these little issues suck. Especially with what we pay for these things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
rain sensing wipers is a gimmick technology that hasn't been improved as much over the last 15 years. There are other factors that became important since this technology started to become mainstream 10-12 years ago. Fuel economy took the captain seat and everything else kinda went stale.

If you notice, rain sensing wipers is not "That common" in vehicles as "auto headlights" or "auto climate control" or "multi zone climate" etc... There are many other technologies that DO BRING utility, comfort, safety... Automatic wipers is just a plain stupid waste of money... I wish there was a way to default to the regular wiper control without losing the other features as mentioned above.

·
Registered
333 Posts
IMHO, I had a 2004 Lexus RX330, it had rain sensing, at first I doubted it and when the windshield started to get mist from a fog/rain the wipers activated right away. Then it dried up and the wipers shut off. About a half hour later got about 7 to 8 drops of rain and they came on again and than a downpour of rain, went to high speed and reduced speed when the the rain let up to a medium rain. I was impressed, now will have to see if Honda's system is as good as the Lexus was. I plan on picking up the ODY Elite at early noon today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had rain sensing wipers on a 2004 Audi and they worked flawlessly. We have had subsequent vehicles of different brands that had great rain sensing wipers. It’s not new technology and other manufacturers have had superior products for 10+ years. Why can’t Honda use the same technology? For $50k for a van, all the features should work as intended. IMO these wipers do not work as they are intended to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My service department changed the sensor and it’s all better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it a tough discussion to get the service department to change sensor? Same issue here and service department told me they can’t replicate issue and car did not give them any codes. Afterwards I sent them a video of the wipers going at max when there were only a few drops of rain coming down. Will see how they respond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2018 Odyssey's rain sensing wipers behave strangely as well. Sometimes fast with little rain while slow when it pours. The dealer said it is a known issue that a future software update would address, but we'll see.

My suggestion to them was to request Honda to include a system setting where the owner can choose the mode...rain sensing or intermittent. The +/- control then controls the sensitivity level or intermittent speed as applicable. Seems so simple to add and gives the owner the control of how their car works and allows us to get around the current problem of the rain sensing wipers often not working well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our 2018 Odyssey's rain sensing wipers behave strangely as well. Sometimes fast with little rain while slow when it pours. The dealer said it is a known issue that a future software update would address, but we'll see.

My suggestion to them was to request Honda to include a system setting where the owner can choose the mode...rain sensing or intermittent. The +/- control then controls the sensitivity level or intermittent speed as applicable. Seems so simple to add and gives the owner the control of how their car works and allows us to get around the current problem of the rain sensing wipers often not working well.
Sometimes ours triggers on a bright and sunny day... I'm never sure what to think of that, but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
For those who are having their windshield wipers turning on intermittently, do you have your wipers set to off position? If left to the Auto position even in the sensitivity adjustment being at minimal may trigger the wipers to activate once or several times. If you turn your wipers to low or high speed the same sensitivity adjustment now work for those speeds. Honda recommends that you leave your wipers in the off position if no rain is present. I do not like this, I like my wipers that I had in the 2004 Lexus, just left them in Auto all the time and no sensitivity adjustment to work with... 99% of the time it worked correctly. The only other fault I can think that may be happening is a dirty windshield where your wiper sensor is looking at on the windshield, clean your windshield in the entire area of the black where the mirror (outside) sits in and perhaps that will resolve your problem if your not in Auto mode of operation. Hope this bit of info helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts