Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else been silly enough (I was DUMB) to put RainX on their windshield. It sounded great, but I have been peering through streaks since the day I put it on. Even when the windshield is clean, the areas where the wipers don't touch still looks cloudy. I have to buff the areas hard by hand to get the cloudy appearance to fade but then I have streaks everywhere.
I followed the manufacturers instructions to the tee. It was a big mistake. I am in the process of trying to remove it with SoftScrub (per RainX instructions). I hope it comes off. I would hate to replace a windshield because of this, but I can't stand the streaking.
Has anybody else had similar problems, or is it just me.

Fred

·
Registered
192 Posts
I haven't used Rainx in a long time. Another forum I read that just deals with detailing seems to hate it. They suggest using lighter fluid to remove Rainx.

They also have a product named Aquapel, which again I haven't tried, but the members of that board seem to think it is the best thing for that purpose.

Let me know if you want the address of that board, and pointers to any topics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am VERY happy with Rain-X and I have not had ANY problems with the stuff. I have used Rain-X for years on many differnet cars. It is especially great here in Colorado where they use rocks and sand instead of salt. We get tons of pits in the windshield that tend to rip up wiper blades and hold onto water. Rain-X really fills up the pores and really allows the rain to just blow off the windshield. In fact, if the Rain-X is fresh enough, I do not use my wipers at all. It you do get some steaking, try applying some additional Rain-X and really work it in. You do not have to push hard, just work it in. When it has dried, use lots of paper towels, or just fold a single one many times, the cleaner the paper towel, the easier Rain-X comes off. Good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been happily using Rain-X for 15 years. First, you gotta start with a clean windshield or you will mix grime in with the micro-thin coating. The main trick is to use it very very sparingly. I use a folded up paper towel with a single quirt. Adding a drop or two along the way. Make sure to get every square inch. Then spray windshield with glass cleaner and wipe with newspaper. You'll be amazed.

There is one Rain-X product I hate. It is this pink stuff that you add to your wiper fluid to make it easier than the regular stuff. This stuff streaked and smudged so badly I had to siphon out the resevoir and clean the windshield with laquer thinner.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Super Moderator
13,537 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bruno1453:
I am VERY happy with Rain-X and I have not had ANY problems with the stuff. I have used Rain-X for years on many differnet cars. It is especially great here in Colorado where they use rocks and sand instead of salt. We get tons of pits in the windshield that tend to rip up wiper blades and hold onto water. Rain-X really fills up the pores and really allows the rain to just blow off the windshield. In fact, if the Rain-X is fresh enough, I do not use my wipers at all. It you do get some steaking, try applying some additional Rain-X and really work it in. You do not have to push hard, just work it in. When it has dried, use lots of paper towels, or just fold a single one many times, the cleaner the paper towel, the easier Rain-X comes off. Good luck!</font>

Ditto. I have been using Rain-X for years (3.5 to be exact) now. I have never had problems. Here is what I do. Make sure the glass is warm. 70 deg. temps here in the Carolinas guarantee that. Clean throughly with a glass cleaner. Apply rain-x (I use the bottle not the wipes or the spray) I first apply a horizontal coat, then a vertical coat after about 5 minutes. After the whole car is done I just spray it with water and the white straks are gone. I have never had to remove Rain-X.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FW_in_OKC, I had the same experience with Rain-X. It's great if you never use your ww-wipers, to get rid of the stuff left on your window I used, believe it or not is RainX Glass Polish. This will get rid of your streaks, it removes water marks too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MGians:
FW_in_OKC, I had the same experience with Rain-X. It's great if you never use your ww-wipers, to get rid of the stuff left on your window I used, believe it or not is RainX Glass Polish. This will get rid of your streaks, it removes water marks too. Good Luck.</font>
Well call me stubborn, but I hate to have to buy another RainX product to get their other product off my window. I have lots of SoftScrub, and that too is what the RainX site suggests (along with the RainX Polish and BonAmi cleaning powder, not the abrasive cleanser).
I had a bunch of people recommend RainX to me until I put it on. Then the anti's came out of the woodwork. Nobody had any idea how to get the stuff off.
Wish me luck!

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 02-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 02-21-2002).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you guys leaving Rain-X on too long before you wipe it off after applying it? I have used it for over 10 years and love it! I cannot stand to drive in vehicle that does not have it because the water just sheets down instead of beading up and repelling. I use it on all of my windows and my mirrors. In the morning the dew just flies off once I get to about 45-50 MPH. In the bad thunderstorms of central Florida I do not have to even use my wipers if I am on the interstate.

Here is what I do:
1. Clean your windshield
2. Take a clean rag, apply the Rain-x and put it on like wax in a circular motion.
3. Wait about 5 minutes.
4. Buff off the haze with a clean moist towel. I use my Absorber, which is already wet.

I would try again and make sure that you do not leave it on too long (step 3).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can still use my windshield wipers without streaking the Rain-X. I also use the bottle, not the spray or wipes. I do not let the haze sit for very long either. That might make a difference. My procedure is:
1) Clean windshield completely until it is clean enough to use without Rain-X

2) Fold a clean paper towel into 4ths

3) Allow the fluid to flow out of the bottle on its own as I move it along the top of the windshield (I only do a half a windshield)

4) Allow the fluid to drip toward the bottom of the windshield

5) Now spread the fluid around one half of the windshield, working it in with circular motions

6) Repeat steps 3-5 for the other half of the windshield

7) Get a fresh paper towel and fold into forths.

8) Wipe the first side of the windshield until the haze is gone, turning over the paper towel once you get most of the haze removed.

9) Unfold the paper towel in expose the clean inside.

10) Repeat step 8 on the second side of the windshield which should be completely hazed by now.

Note: If you do not let it haze, you are just respreading Rain-X and you will probably get some bad streaking.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used rain-x for 15 years. The streaking occurs when you have not properly wiped the haze. Use a CLEAN slightly dampened cotton cloth. You also may be laying the rain x on too thick. After you have wiped with the dampened cloth, get a fresh dry cloth and buff the windshield. When finished, try your wipers on the dry windshield. If you left too much on, it will streak. If you get a nice quiet stroke with your wiper with no streak, you are sitting pretty for a couple months--- maybe less if its quite rainy. Rain x also makes your wipers a lot quietier when running. Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anybody got a Blackn-Decker "Scumbuster"? I used it with a towel underneath. Why exercise!

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey all you Rain-X lovers... I have a question.

I used Rain-X a few times a couple of years back and liked the results but I didn't like that it had to be applied so frequently. How often do you apply Rain-X?

Bryan

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have used rainX for 15 years with no problems. I rarely use my wipers. I too can hardly drive a car that does not have rainex. I consider it much safer than wipers. Here are my tips.

Start with a clean, dry windshield. Use Windex or similar.

Squirt a stream of RX on one side of the windshield with a couple of "S" shaped motions -- be generous.

Tear off a SINGLE THICKNESS of paper towel about the size of the palm of your hand. This way, you don't waste the RX by soaking it up into a big wad of towels.

Make an initial spread of the RX with up and down and side to side motions so it will roughly cover one side of the windshield.

Follow this by circular motions of the towel moving back and forth across the windshield, spreading the RX, until the solvent evaporates, and becomes hazy. In an emergency I have just used my bare palm to spread the RX.

Repeat for the other side of the windshield. Then go back and do this all over again -- i.e. apply a second coat of RX. The second time you will not need as much RX.

THE MOST IMPORTANT FINAL STEP! To get rid of the haze you need only dribble water down the windshield with a hose or quart soda bottle. If is dusty the next day, then rinse again with water. If is is stil too streaky for you, then wash it lightly with a terry cloth towel and a car shampoo like MacGuyers.

I treat my windshield every week or two, depending on the rain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Count me among the Rain-X fans -- in my case for 17 years on a variety of vehicles. I concur that you should start with very clean glass and my experience is that a lot of muscle is required to buff it, at least the first time or two. Once I've got a good coat on, I renew only a few times a year. If only I could train the llamas to detail the Ody for me....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've used Rain-X for a number of years on other vehicles and was pretty satisfied, until I used it on my Ody
. I don't think I'll ever use it again! I've looked (seriously) for BonAmi powder in stores in at least 4 states to try to get it off. Given time, it does wear away.

Next time I Zaino the Ody I'm just going to follow others' advise here and use Z-2 on the exterior windows.

Mel

·
Registered
596 Posts
The point about not using too much Rain-X is well taken. In my experience, I have found that the wipers actually move the stuff around on the windshield and it piles up, so to speak, at the end of the stroke of the righthand wiper, right to the left of center of the windshield. I will try to use it more sparingly next time.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I've used Rain-X for about 16 years now. Love it. Love it when the water just slides off the windshield.I also apply it on my headlamps/foglamps.

To get rid of the haze, I spray some water on the windshield then dry it off again. Always works for me.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have always used RainX without any problems. I do put elbow grease in it to buff it off when I apply it. Even though RainX suggests soft scrub, I wouldn't put anything abbrasive on the windshield other than a window polish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
the product to use for removing anything off your windshield, including rain-x, is cerium oxide. you can pick it up at most glass shops. as the manager of an auto glass replacement shop for twelve years, it is the best product i have used to help out a customer with something on their glass they do not want.

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've read all the strings and the only thing that differed from how I applied the RainX was the temperature. It was pretty cool when I applied the stuff. Maybe 45 degrees F. Last evening, I took my cordless drill with a padded cotton buffing bonnet and polished the windshield to try and get the stuff evened out. It looks much better now, but I'll be damned if I will use RainX again this winter. If I do try it one more time, it won't be until it's above 70 outside. I'll let you know if I still have the clouding/streaking problem.
I am used to just washing my windows with window cleaner and that does it. I think having to spend an hour or two a week applying, polishing, rubbing, cussing, fuming and messing with my windows is BS. I'll just remove the stuff and use the wipers.

Fred

1 - 20 of 52 Posts