Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running with a Rami trans? (The Ebay $1250 rebuilt 5sp units)
I will need to replace the trans on my 04 soon, (175K on original) and want to weigh my options.
So far I found one positive experience and one rebuilt that was faulty and replaced under warranty on our site.

Please post your experience so I know if this guy is a viable option.

Thanks
ODYBAN

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
24 hours and 40 views, no one's used this guy?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ODYinNH,

It appears at least two members used his trans before. I spoke with him today. Fairly standard "we use better friction disks" and we port valve body (and some other proprietary stuff) to make the trans last longer. Price is nice for a 24 month warranty ~1300 And he's only 2.5hrs away, so I can pick it up (in brooklyn).
He sells through Ebay, and says "I supply four honda dealers in the area, and one in Colorado". (But PT Barnum also said some fantastic things too)
My indie says he can R&R with a used with 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty for $3300 out the door. (Used scares me, even if parts and labor are covered). For $1k less a rebuild with 24 mo warranty sounds like a better deal.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
How can anyone give you a 5 yr unlimited warranty on any *used* part? That makes no sense. Does your indie has a boat? Does he have secret plans of sailing away in next six months for good? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I said. 5 yrs on a tranny known to sometimes not make it 5 years when brand new.????
I think the price reflects the "warranty". Or $1K+ higher than a rebuilt one. (~1K flat rate to R&R....) Parts guy playing the odds that I just want a used on to slap in so i can sell. Then when it goes he gets to sell another one. Knowing that I probably wont be around to collect on the warranty.
My indie is indifferent because parts place will pay him to R&R the new (used) one.

I did get at least one of Rami's buyers to tell me since spring '09 and around 44k miles no problems what so ever, and that the vans driver is not very kind to it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
How much are Gator or Jasper in your area? This forum recommends them and usually you might find similar prices on them. Frankly, nobody in this forum has ever got 100K+ out of their replaced unit regardless of who built/rebuilt it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gator trans is $600 more, plus the $300 in shipping, so $900 more.
i can pick this NY one up and save shipping and core. So its $800 ($100 gas and tolls) cheaper, and no core charge.
Jasper is slightly more than Gator.
I'm at 175k, dont expect to own past 250k, so only looking to get 75k out of it at most.
thanks for the discussion!

·
Registered
3 Posts
odyban -

Just had to do the transmission replacement in my 01-
While I can't speak to the seller RAMI (as seen on eBay) I did want to reccommend that you look at willow creek (Transmission Repair and Remanufacturing - Willow Creek Transmissions)
They've just updated their web site which is more generic, but these guys KNOW Oddy transmissions.
I dealt with a great guy there named "Sylvain" - Great guy to work with.
I was impressed enough to have mine towed there for replacement in lieu of using anyone locally!
They sell on eBay from time to time, but will deal with you over the phone as well.

Tranny - $1245.00
Same Day Installation - $450.00
Honda Fluid (All they use on Honda tranny) - $60.00
They also add an optional cooler for $60.00 if you want one

They did a couple of motor mounts for me as well for lots less than anything I could find locally (Raleigh, NC).

They are in SC 10-15 miles off of I-95.

Rami might be your best bet based on your location, but If your Indie will install a tranny you bring him, give willow creek some consideration -They ship via comercail carrier ground as well
24 month / unlimited mileage warranty, new torque conv, oversized pump, external filter, and all around great folks to deal with.

My .02 worth---

Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Kevin,
i'll take a look. They'd have to be sub $950 on the trans for it to make sense with shipping to philly area.
I am still open to all options though. But if a 5 hr drive saves me $1k I'm all over it.
My indie says flat rate is 8hrs, so I'll have to see if he'll do it for actual time spent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i used rami. believe me if you coming from jersey, it'll take you 2.5 hours just to get from the tunnel to his shop. too much traffic in NY. i wouldn't recommend him anyway. i bought a rebuilt trans from him. he works out of a real ghetto ass small garage. believe me when i say ghetto. i believed him when he said he rebuilds for some dealerships. stupid me. he gave me a price over the phone then charged me tax when i got there. trans lasted 11 months 18000 miles. it broke down on me on my way back from south carolina coming home from my grandmother's funeral. had it towed back 200 miles from maryland to north jersey. that alone cost me $500. he said it would be warrantied (mind you i pull my own transmission so it's back breaking work in the driveway) pulled it out again. it was a month before i got it back. i had to call him! when i got there he charged me $100 for the parts on a trans that's supposed to still be warrantied. hands tied behind my back i paid it and reinstalled it. not even 15 minutes of driving the tcm light comes on. now it throws a different code for torque converter. (note: all solenoids are new honda parts.) pulled trans again and replaced torque converter. trans still throws the same fault. a friend of mine that's a honda tech says that if it's not the torque converter, they didn't rebuild the trans right. so save your money and get from a reputable company.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i was looking at Level10 but it's $3000 for a "bullettproof" rebuild. they build race transmissions and have been around for a while. there shop is about 30 minutes from my job. i might look into that for my trans rebuild. google search their website. maybe i'll get the most out of my new 20 mile old trans fluid. and drive the odyssey till it dies. let me know if you find a good place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ra1,
Thanks, that's the stuff I'm looking for. Crap....guess this means back to the drawing board.
I'll look @ level 10 too.

Anyone know a good ody trans shop near philly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
i hope my experience helps you. i can't vouch for other people's success stories. just my own personal nightmare. let me know if you find a good place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running a rami tranny, so far so good at 2months. He seemed knowledgable.
Just fyi, when replacing a tranny, proper installation is very important for good results.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my rami trans went at 11 months about 18k miles. and his rebuild after that didn't last 20 miles. when he warranties it, he doesn't give you another one off the shelf. he rebuilds the one that broke on you. even though he has freshly rebuilt and wrapped transmissions on the shelf. plus he charged me for parts on a supposedly warrantied trans. and it doesn't take a month to rebuild a trans. my trans was definitely properly installed. even added external trans cooler and the filter supplied by him. as well as a new inline oem honda replacement filter. first time used honda z1 fluid second time with amsoil synthetic. it was done correctly. just couldn't rely on the trans. i've replaced many transmissions at my dealership. and, he did seem knowledgable when i spoke to him. but words are one thing and quality is another. i didn't buy his trans thru ebay. i called him directly. after my experience, i was tempted to see his feedback and there was one guy who bidded just to put a neg feedback. his situation was exactly like mine. only thing was he had to pay return shipping and i just drove back. i sincerely hope your trans treats you well. and mine may possiblly be one of those chance few instances. but i just don't want to waste my time anymore. not worth the stress. sorry, but my intentions aren't to worry you. i'm just relaying my experiences and moving on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of my risk aversion, I spent another $800, and went with Gator.
Trans is in now, and appears to have a low to mid RPM whine. waiting to hear back if its normal for the Gator rebuilds, as line pressures are raised when they rebuild.
Not the Standard honda whine either. So I'm hoping its not a case of Damned if I do or dammed if I dont.

that $800 woulda been nice........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, he is out of Brooklyn, NY, he did my tranny in Feb of 11, and 25k miles later, still ok.

As ra1 oasis says, it is in an industrial area that may scare some, and his shop is well, a dive, but for $1700 installed, I really had no choice. He had my car for a week, said it would only take 2 days but last year the snow would not stop. He is only about an hr from the Goethals.

I was in a repair shop in Edison NJ having them look over a Toyo Sienna I was buying, mention to the mech I cant give Honda another chance as I was having my 3rd tranny repaced, he asked who was doing the job, I mentioned rami in ny, he said he does good work.

As I have posted previously, I am not recommending him, just want to share so people can make an informed decision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts