Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new to us 2004 EX, with 119,000 miles. The alarm just recently started going off at random when parked and locked obviously. I have read all I can using the search function, and have done some "poking" around with the hood latch and the tailgate latch, but still have intermittent alarms.

I am hopeful that it is a problem in one of the switches to the doors. I have tried just disconnecting the hood switch but still get the alarm. The switches are "closed" when the doors/hood are open, so logic says I should be able to just unplug the switch and the car will think that the door/hood is shut as the circuit will now be "open". It is a little confusing with the open/closed thing, but that is how I see it.

What I propose is to unplug the switches, one at a time and wait an appropriate period(until the darn alarm goes off again) to see what happens. If the alarm sounds, I plug that one back in and go to the next door. This should eliminate the door switches, unless I am missing something I don't understand. If my problem goes away before I get all the way through, then great. If not I will think on this some more.

I would be interested in your thoughts about this.

By the way, the dealer says they will diagnose my problem for $85, but I am not really optimistic they could tell me much for that money.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
db, I did a quick search...and no fruit, either. This can happen to any car with a security system that triggers off multiple doors, hatches & lids. I did find this, though:

Automotive Forums on Ody Alarm

One of the key ingredients to this webpage:

There are 2 common causes for the Odyessy alarm to go off. 1st is in the power sliding doors there are electrical connections called Junction Switches. These Junction Switches can become worn or misaligned or corroded over time causing high electrical resistance in the system. The switches no only affect the power sliding doors, but also the alarm system. The high resistance can cause the alarm system to think that the door has been opened. These things can be affected by a change in temperature, such as parking the car in the sun and then moving it to the shade or when night falls, or vise versa. With no rhyme or reason. The only solution to this is to have the Junction Switches replaced in both sliding doors. Also have the Latch mechanisms checked out since the door was forced open at one time & may be damaged.
The other common cause has been the remotes themselves. The remotes can become warped or distorted causing the small electrical contacts inside to stick at times, thus activating the Panic" mode in the alarm system. I hope this will help you.

I have been a Honda / Acura Technician for 22+ years now. These are the most common causes we have seen. -Alan.

The junction switches are those contact switches in the doors. I might try the cheap route of doing the following, first: clean the contacts (rubber eraser, or alcohol-soaked cloth), and second: a little WD-40. Now, purists might disagree, but I've saved a couple low-voltage switches in my time with this stuff where possible moisture contamination was a concern.

Hope this helps your situation.

OF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OF/Alan

Thanks for the reply! I have cleaned the switches on the sliding door and the contacts look good. The PO had the sliding door on the drivers side serviced at one time, but I am not sure what the complaint at the time was.

I thought about the remote issue too, but even had the alarm activate with no batteries in the remote.

For now, I have the alarm disabled by using a jumper at the hood switch location, until I feel like spending more time with this.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
3 Posts
if its an after market alarm tou might wanna check the sensitivity level if its high evean the wind can trigger it

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a similar problem with my wife's '03 Pilot; random alarm activations. Key to solving the problem was seeing the door open display show me that the driver's door was ajar for short periods while driving. Replacing the driver's door open switch ($12.00, <5 minutes) solved the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update.

I was playing with the door switches and found that when I put the switch for the drivers side slider back in place, the inside lights flickered on and of while tightening the mounting/ground screw. Now that it is tight, so far the alarm has not gone off unexpectedly.

Time will tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts